“Delicious”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I am not a fan of Italian food because it is so boring with the red sauce and heavy pasta. What a refreshing twist! We had flavorful lasagna with a blueberry sauce. The cheeses blended perfectly and the sweet flavor of the blueberries added depth to an ordinary dish. He does not use and abundant of herbs and spices, which I did not even miss. I was so impressed with how the flavors of the ingredients mixed together to give all of the food such robust flavor. Yes it was expensive but it was so relaxing to sit outside, chat with friends and munch on delectable food. Giving Chef Giovanni the opportunity to express his creativity and serve us what suggested just added to the adventure of the meals!

1  Thank LezaReginaVirgen
There are newer reviews for Bocconato Trattoria

Reviewed 1 October 2011

This place is just not worth any price. We heard about the concept of "no menus" and we were excited to try this thinking we would get the chefs specialties of the day...evidently the chef did not go shopping that day or we got left overs. The food was just not good...the prices were high...which would not have been an issue if we would have been somewhat wowed by the experience. So, my advice...don't chance it!

2  Thank mpls210
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Four of us traveled to FairPlay to have lunch at Boccanatos. We recalled the excellent meal we had there a couple of years ago and wanted to visit again. The concept has changed in that there are no menus. This can be a little difficult to get your mind around. If go with it and either make a request or just let the chef "feed you", you will have a meal to remember. We had two appetizers and two pastas for four people with three glasses of wine and our bill was $50 a couple. The food was superb! We had fried green tomatoes with marinara sauce and grapes and a peach and mushroom appetizer that sounds odd; but was the perfect melding of ingredients. Our pastas were an amazing ricotta lasagna and a plate of three small pastas with different sauces. All the pasta was handmade and light as a feather. the ingredients were of the highest quality which I recognize from years of farmer market shopping. Chef Giovanni may have a concept that is unusual in America; but I have always found that high quality ingredients that are well prepared never disappoint. We are planning to go back on a Monday night for the winemaker dinners. I think our waitress could have done a better job of explaining the concept when we arrived. we were definitely confused until the chef came out and made some suggestions. Bottom line-the food is fantastic and as good as any meal I have ever enjoyed in Italy which is the highest compliment I can pay.

the highest quality

Reviewed 28 September 2011

What a horrible experience! We had had a great trip to Fairplay--we visit the area once a year and were excited to entertain friends from the Midwest! What a mistake! The chef tried to pass off beef as lamb, sauces made with gorgonzola cheese were made from flour and margarine, and the "homemade" vinagrette dressing was from one of the local wineries (we were in their tasting room when the restaurant employee came to pick it up!). But the worst part was the cost--outrageous! I don't mind paying for great food, but the waitress was argumentative and had no idea what she was talking about and the food wasn't what we were told it was..we will never go there again...for a great restaurant in Fairplay, try the Gold Vine Grill--it was excellent!

3  Thank islandtime2008
Reviewed 26 September 2011

This was the worst dining experience that my wife and I have ever had.
Do not waste your hard earned money on this restaurant. It is a disgrace to the friendly, hard working people of Fairplay.

We visit the Fairplay area several times a year. Having many friends in the area we end up at BBQ's most of the time but since this was our Anniversary we decided to eat at Boccanato Trattoria. I had heard that some nights they have where the chef makes whatever he feels like but with my wife being a vegetarian I asked about this when making our reservations and was told there would be menu service that evening.

We arrived at 645p for our reservation and was promptly seated, as there was only two other tables with customers. This should tell you something.

After waiting about 20 minutes the waiter finally came out and asked what we would like to drink. They have a pretty extensive wine list so we asked the waiter to see a menu so we could decide on what type of wine we would like. We were told by the waiter that there was not a menu and we could order what we want. When we asked our waiter what was available we continued to be asked what we wanted. We mentioned that a fish dinner would be nice but was promptly told they did not have fish. We were advised it was a 5 course dinner and we can select items for each. But the waiter had no idea what the chef was making to be able to advise the customers on what we could order.

The waiter than rattled off a couple appetizer options, none that sounded appetizing at all. After a bit more discussion we decided on some wine and a tomato appetizer.

Soon after the waiter left, the owner chef came out and basically verbally attacked us. Telling us he was going to decide what he was going to make for us and if we didn't like it we could leave. He then went on to criticize another restaurant in the area, Hey Giovanni, before you criticize you should make sure you can provide a better dining experience , which you do not.
After going back and forth with us about what we wanted my wife asked for gnocchi which she was promptly told that she could not have gnocchi because he would need 2 hours to make gnocchi. This while flailing his arms about, and bascially yelling at my wife.
Since the things we requested were not going to be available we decided to go with the chef's mystery dinner.

After the verbal attack we were brought out a bottle of wine instead of the glasses we ordered as we both ordered different wines. We decided just to accept the bottle since we felt we did not want to make what was fast becoming a bad experience worse.This is probably done to make their customers spend more money.

About a 1/2 hour later we were brought out our Tomato appetizer...a couple slices of tomato with some dressing on it.

This did not last long between the both of us. We then waited another 45 minutes before one small plate of salad was brought out for the both of us. At this point my wife was very hungry and asked for Bread. We were promptly told we could not have any bread as all the bread they had was for meals the glorified chef was making.

So after 2 hours we had two slices of tomatoes and a small salad.

After about another 45 minutes we were brought out a small plate of pasta, again to share. We asked the waiter why it is taking so long and he mentioned that they had been hit with a large group, but upon looking through out the restaurant, we only saw 2 other tables than us. One with 4 diners and one with 2.

After about another 1/2 hour we were brought out our entrees. My wife got her bread - 2 slices - along with their vegetarian dish option, some tomato paste with 3 mushrooms and a peach slice. My meal was 2 chicken thighs, seemed much like foster farms chicken, with the tomato paste. I would not have ordered a dish like this ever so the glorified chef's little experiment did not work in this case.

We finally got done with our dinner at 1030p,. You would think after 4 hours in a restaurant you would be very full, but to the contrary we were still very hungry,

And, with all the small amount of food given, our bill came to a whopping $160.00....FOR WHAT ????????? To be verbally attacked by a fat chef that has no idea how to run a restaurant or be talented enough to be able to put together a dinner on his own to satisfy his customers

What was the best part, when we got back to our B/B we were staying at, another couple that went to the restaurant had the same exact experience. I guess they lost several customers that night.

4  Thank Brian E