“Dream Wedding Venue!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Passignano Sul Trasimeno
Villa San Crispolto
Houston
“Dream Wedding Venue!”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We recently stayed at Villa San Crispolto for my daughter’s wedding. If you are interested in a Tuscany/Umbria destination wedding you cannot go wrong using Romantic Italian Weddings, it's owner Marco, and his staff led by the beautiful and efficient Monica. The villa is simply spectacular. We thought it would be lovely from the website, but it was actually more stunning in person! The views of Lake Trasimeno are amazing. At the pool, there is a 180 degree view. Many of the rooms have views out of the windows and finally there are patio tables & chairs where you can sit outside and enjoy the lake view. The rooms inside the villa are also very nice. Although rustic in design, they are very modern with each having its own flat screen television and plenty of electrical outlets. The bathrooms are roomy and all have showers. The wedding suite is spectacular and an excellent place for the bridal party to get dressed the day of the ceremony. The kitchen, with its large table, quickly became the place where everyone would congregate. It is furnished with everything you could ever want - modern appliances, a plentiful supply of dishes and glasses and a full suite of pots and pans. Originally, we could not get the coffee maker to work, but Marco provides a phone to contact his staff, and like all other requests this one was answered quickly and a new coffee maker was delivered. The grounds around the villa are very well manicured with an abundance of flowers and olive trees on the property.

The wedding was in early April and Spring was late to arrive this year so the weather was colder than normal. Thus, we were unable to use many of the outdoor facilities (pools, picnic tables, grill, etc.) or enjoy any activities at the nearby lake, but still our week was spectacular. If blessed with good weather, I can't imagine any better place to stay for a week. With nice weather, you could easily spend a week just at the villa or enjoying activities on nearby Lake Trasimeno. However, the villa is also a convenient base for touring Tuscany and Umbria. Many hilltop towns, including Assisi, Siena, Perugia, Montepulciano, Orvieto and Montalcino are within an hour's drive from the villa and the roads are modern and easy to navigate. You could also drive to Florence, but I would recommend taking the train from nearby Cortona Terontola to avoid driving and parking in Florence. The train takes a little over an hour and costs approximately 10 euros each way and drops you off just a short distance from the main tourist attractions.

Marco, and his team, not only do a terrific job operating the villa, but they also provide excelling wedding planning services. Their 8 step approach helps take the stress out of making wedding decisions. You can completely trust Marco's recommended suppliers some of which I will discuss in more detail below.

The night of our arrival, we ordered pizza from Marco's Ciao Ciao restaurant. Having pizza was a relaxing and casual way to start the week, especially for many of our visitors that had travelled a long distance that day from the United States. There are supermarkets nearby in town to get food/supplies for the villa, however, we could not find ice at the local supermarket so Ciao Ciao was kind enough to also deliver ice to us.

The next evening, we used one of Marco's recommended catering services (Renata) to provide Easter dinner at the villa. Dinner included several pasta dishes and mixed meat selections for the main course. It was all very good and there were still leftovers for the following day.

The day before the wedding Marco conducts a wedding rehearsal. Our daughter got married in the town hall of Cortona. Marco led all of the wedding party on the beautiful drive to Cortona and went through step by step what would happen at the ceremony and let everyone rehearse what they would be doing the following day. Our daughter chose Mario and his son Federico to provide the flowers so we were able to stop by their shop, located on the square in front of the town hall, and meet them the day before the wedding. The flowers they provided were just what my daughter wanted and were quite beautiful.

On the wedding day everything went off perfectly. The lovely Monica was at the villa during the day to oversee everything that was happening at the villa with the reception. Normally, appetizers are served by pool if the weather is nice, but due to the cold weather we moved this part of the reception to the chapel beneath the wedding suite and it worked out nicely. Marco took charge of the ceremony, even translating for the Cortona town hall official who provided the wedding services. It is an especially nice touch that the city of Cortona provides the bride with a beautiful bouquet of roses and a bottle of champagne and glasses to toast the newlyweds.

All the wedding suppliers were amazing. As previously mentioned Mario did the flowers and they were exactly like the photo's my daughter sent him.

Nello's shop, Tenvenza Moda Capelli, provided all the makeup and hair services for the bridal party and others and everyone loved their work.

The photographer was Jules. I highly recommend that anyone thinking about a wedding in Italy take a look at the quality of his work. Everyone that sees the pictures of our daughter's wedding says they should be in a wedding magazine. The video services were provided by Kamil. The video captured the day succinctly and the cost of his services is very reasonable.

Massimo at Autonoleggio IL Girasole provided the wedding car and the bus to take our guests to and from the ceremony in Cortona. Massimo also provided coach service for many of our guests from Rome airport to the villa with a stop in Orvieto along the way. Additionally, he supplied two 9 person vans and a car for our stay. Finally, Massimo personally drove my family back to the Rome airport in one of the vans we had rented. I would highly recommend using Massimo for your transport/car services when staying at the villa.

My daughter also booked the string trio provided by Musicians Bay to provide music at the ceremony and during appetizers. The music was lovely.

Appetizers and dinner were provided by Luciano. The appetizers were absolutely beautiful and spectacularly arranged. The dinner menu was: 1st: Mozzarella and tomatoes; 2nd: Prosciutto and cheese crepes with black norcia truffles (excellent); 3rd: Ricotta and spinach ravioli with rocket and parmigiano (also excellent) 4th: Filet of beef with a sauce of brunello di montalcino wine with Spinach sautéed with butter and parmigiano and potatoes (only minor disappointment of the day as beef was a bit overcooked which was surprising as we had dinner in town at their restaurant and there the beef was excellent) 5th: The traditional Italian wedding which is a cake made from layers of light filo pastry, and it has a layer of chocolate cream and a layer of vanilla cream and seasonal fruit (again excellent). My daughter actually removed one course from their recommended menu and everyone was still very full.

The DJ was Alex. He did a spectacular job - dancing was nonstop from the end of dinner to the closing of the reception. I might recommend skipping the fog machine that he provides as it blurs some of the photos, however, it was a huge hit with all the guests!

I also would recommend ignoring Mr. Aviation's comments. Our utility bill for the week, when it was quite cold, was $225 euros or about $10 euros per person.

I certainly hope we can visit Villa San Crispolto again someday. It was a spectacular place and our daughter's wedding day could not have been any more beautiful.

We cannot thank Marco and his team enough for providing such a special day for our family and friends.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank USCtraveller

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

It is a bit of a leap of faith to spend thousands of pounds on a wedding when you haven't even visited the venue, but I can assure everyone that Marco and his team deliver even more than they promise on their website, and provided the most spectacular wedding, and week, that our party have ever experienced.
My daughter knew she wanted to marry in Italy, as most of her childhood holidays had been spent there. We had visited Cortona ten years ago, so we knew that the actual ceremony would be glorious, medieval, elegant and sophisticated. San Crispolto was an unknown, and as we approached the villa with lovely Monica, I was worried that it wouldn't live up to expectations, and could it possibly be as picturesque as the website showed? As Monica showed us around, I caught my daughter's eye, and realised that we were both crying with happiness. This was even more spectactualr than we had expected.
Twenty three of us shared the beautifully appointed villa rooms, and our group breakfasts catered for by Renata were the start to each perfect day. She also came to the villa to cook a barbecue and evening meal, assisted by her lovely mum and brilliant staff.
In only six months Marco had arranged an exquisite wedding. Each of his suppliers and sub contractors were professional in their expertise and delivered what they promised, from Mario in Cortona Piazza, who created our flowers (even giving us extra roses for the bridesmaid's hair...), to Stefano, our imaginative and discreet photographer, Simone, who made the most beautiful DVD of the entire day, Massimo who organised coaches and cars and lifts into Cortona, and Giuliano who prepared our delicious wedding reception.
Having sampled Renata's cuisine, I would tell anyone who is worried about their budget, that they would be delighted with a wedding reception catered for by her, and it truly is possible to have this dream wedding and not break the bank!
On the last evening Marco came to say goodbye and to have a drink with us. We were able to thank him for having such efficient, fuss free organisational skills, and giving the entire party a holiday to remember. Adam and Eve were married on September 11th, when the weather in Italy is lovely, neither too hot nor too cold. I paid the heating and air conditioning bill for the whole villa - which only amounted to 25 euros..
At the airport our party sat together and I asked everyone if there were anything we could have changed about the week, or the wedding, or if we could have made it better. Everyone thought for a few seconds, and we all shook our heads and smiled...no, this was totally, totally perfect.
If anyone would like more information about our wonderful wedding, I am more than happy to recommend Marco, and tell you more.

3 Thank Susan P
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2013

My daughter was married there in September, and we have been exceptionally tardy in sending in a review, but Mr Aviation's ridiculous comments made us all seethe with anger. A full report from my daughter will follow, but let me say that on leaving we asked ourselves what we would have changed - and the answer was nothing. It was perfect.
As to his ludicrous accusation of excess charges. We had mixed weather and we occupied all the rooms of the villa. We did not dictate or supervise whether people had heaters/air conditioning on or not, but we were all perfectly comfortable. The bill at the end was 25 Euros. I suggest Mr Aviation checks his facts and has the courage to apologise.
He must be daft to attempt to walk to the village - a car is advised! (There are taxis!). The villa has a wonderful view of the lake - the village is by the lake! Did he walk to Cortona too?
As for Marco's restaurant he forgot to mention that Marco gives you a discount! It is a 'family restaurant' and not 'fine dining' and it is perfect for a large mixed group.
It was a most perfect occasion for us all - and much of that goes to Marco's organisation and effort.

2 Thank Ian P
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Me and my Beautiful wife got married last September in Italy. We stayed at he fantastic Villa San Crispolto.

We had a full week at this wonderful location with our family and close friends (16 adults + 6 children).

From start to finish this whole experience was amazing. Marco and Monica are some of the kindest people I have ever met. Everything we asked for they provided us. The bat phone (Italian mobile) as we called was such a good idea we could ring Marco or his staff at anytime with questions knowing that would be answered straight away.

Location was breath taking; the gardens were looked after by Marco’s Uncle and were stunning. Villa San Crispolto itself had been restored to its original beauty with old furniture and fittings. The swimming pool was clean and situated in a good spot for the sun which the lady’s of the group loved. The grounds were safe for the children aswell which was a big plus for us.

Kitchen had everything we needed and we enjoyed cooking big family meals together with our friends and eating them outside on the beautiful patio over looking Lake Tresemo.

The wedding itself was organised perfectly, unlike the weather, it rained all day but you can’t help that. Everything we had asked for was done perfectly. The ceremony, photos, videos, make up, hair, disco, car, wine, food (8 course yum yum).

My marriage to the most important person in my life was made even better thanks to Marco’s team. These memories will never never leave us.

We would recommend everything about Romantic Italian weddings By Marco and his Villa San Crispolto.

If anyone has problems with this service they want there head testing !

This is 5 star experience and me and my beautiful wife, friends/family can not wait to come back to visit again.

1 Thank Charlie_Boz78
London UK
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

For those of you planning to visit or book a wedding here, you need to be made aware of a few things that maybe others have failed to point out. The first, and most incredibly, is that you are led to believe that you have to make a small contribution for electricity and heating costs when you settle up at the end of the week. Well 'small' can turn into nearly €900, and over €70 each couple. This is absurd for just a week. My household bill for gas and electric isn't far from this over the space of 12 months. There was a very sheepish check of the meter readings and a hastily arranged bill put on the kitchen table when we left. I would have challenged this had it not been a very close relatives wedding, and I would be amazed to see how they reached this figure. The most galling thing was that the room we stayed in was so cold for the first few days that we considered moving to a hotel. I slept in my clothes.

Unless you have a car, you'll be doing a long long hike up and down a steep hill to a town that is a fair distance away, with very average restaurants and bars. There are certainly some beautiful places surrounding the lake and beyond and Cortona is incredible. Truly stunning. A day trip to Florence is recommended too, and very easy on the train.

Don't be duped into going to Marco's restaurant as it is just glorified pub food and very very average. Give it a miss.

It's a stunning place with lots of potential, but beware of the hidden costs. Don't leave the lights on, as you'll be paying for it big style!

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Mr_Aviation
Baroncino, Owner at Villa San Crispolto, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Dear Trip advisor,
We have just read the review “A few little things you might like to know...” published on 2nd March 2013 and we’d like to reply to it.
This is our reply:
”The best thing about Trip advisor is that people can share their opinions but one needs to make a clear distinction between opinions and facts. The opinion that one has is based on the personal tastes of a person and so can be subjective but facts must be objective.
We have decided to discuss every single claim one by one as follows:
1. Electricity, Gas, Water:
Water, gas and electricity and also bed linens and towels, including pool towels, mobile telephone rental (included 5€ of credit for free use) are already included in the rental cost of the villa and this is clearly stated on our website and so what this person said is absolutely false!
So, nothing will be added on a guest bill for any kind of use of water, gas or electricity.
The phrase written from the person writing the review “Don't leave the lights on, as you'll be paying for it big style!” is hilarious.
I was speechless when reading such absurd affirmations in the review when anyone can check that this is absolutely not true! Our website states clearly the costs that are included and the costs that need to be paid separately and any guest coming to visit us can check this very easily!
2. Hidden costs and Heating/Air Conditioning costs.
Other phrases written from the person writing the review appear to be hilarious also: “Stayed September 2012,”...
” The most galling thing was that the room we stayed in was so cold for the first few days that we considered moving to a hotel. I slept in my clothes.”...
Anyone who knows Italy knows also that September is not a cold month and certainly is not a month in which the heating is needed. The average temperatures go between 26-32 degrees.
September as May, early June are months where there are no costs for the heating or air conditioning as there are no temperatures excess. It is therefore incredible as a first thing that this person has slept with her/his clothes on and consequently that he/she has paid a heating bill.
As mentioned above the average temperatures in September are about 26-32 degrees and last year has been particularly hot!
What is being contested is exactly the opposite of what usually really happens.
Our main objective is the clear presentation of each single cost.
The transparent costs are a big advantage of our own company and our own policy in fact is definitely on the contrary as far as any hidden cost is regarded.
A hidden cost is in our opinion is a cost that has been secreted but it cannot be considered a hidden cost a cost that is perfectly detailed on our website. Who rents the villa is perfectly aware of the heating/air conditioned cost. We have the following paragraph listed on our website underneath the description of each single apartment as far as the heating cost is regarded:
“As you may already know, the heating is an extra cost to be paid on consumption basis at the end of your week at the villa. This is the only cost that cannot be calculated from the very beginning as we aren’t aware of how much each single family in the different apartments will use. The cost of the heating varies according to the temperature selected and the hours of use. Seeing that we’d like to offer you a clear image of this cost and to avoid any type of misunderstanding, we’d like to advise you to inform your friends and families from the very beginning of this additional cost. There are couples who prefer to pay everything for their own guests, there are other couples who only wish to charge a part of the accommodation from their own guests while others prefer that their guests pay for everything by themselves. The payment of the heating in my opinion comes surely better if it is shared by the users of the apartments. No matter what type of organization you have chosen among the above mentioned ones, we advise to communicate to all your guests that at the end of the week the cost of the heating would be about €8/9 per person per week (considering about 25 people at the villa). We consider this amount to be reasonably very close to your heating expenses. We suggest when you communicate the quote to be paid by your own guests to include this figure as well. We hope we managed to offer you a clear image of this cost and help you to organize better the costs for the lodging of your own guests.”

Following this figure, a realistic cost related to the heating is maximum €225 for the full week for the entire villa.
Please consider that we are speaking of a villa of about 400 square meters, that is 4305 square feet.
In the light of this information appears clearly hilarious another phrase of the person writing the review ” The first, and most incredibly, is that you are led to believe that you have to make a small contribution for electricity and heating costs when you settle up at the end of the week. Well 'small' can turn into nearly €900, and over €70 each couple..”... We struggle to inform the clients and don’t leave anything to have them unhappy by a lack of information at the end of the week, and in any case the final figure is the one we have explained and can never be the one the person writing the review stated.
To complete the information, we have the following paragraph related to the air con cost:
“As you may already know, the Air conditioning is an extra cost to be paid on consumption basis at the end of your week at the villa. This is the only cost that cannot be calculated from the very beginning as we aren’t aware of how much each single family in the different apartments will use. The cost of the Air conditioning varies according to the temperature selected and the hours of use. Seeing that we’d like to offer you a clear image of this cost and to avoid any type of misunderstanding, we’d like to advise you to inform your friends and families from the very beginning of this additional cost. There are couples who prefer to pay everything for their own guests, there are other couples who only wish to charge a part of the accommodation from their own guests while others prefer that their guests pay for everything by themselves. The payment of the Air conditioning in my opinion comes surely better if it is shared by the users of the apartments. No matter what type of organization you have chosen among the above mentioned ones, we advise to communicate to all your guests that at the end of the week the cost of the Air conditioning would be about €4/5 per person per week (considering about 25 people at the villa). We consider this amount to be reasonably very close to your Air conditioning expenses. We suggest when you communicate the quote to be paid by your own guests to include this figure as well. We hope we managed to offer you a clear image of this cost and help you to organize better the costs for the lodging of your own guests.”

Following this figure, a realistic cost related to the air conditioned is maximum €125 for the full week for the entire villa.
Air conditioning or heating are the only extra costs that have to be paid at the end of the week and we believe that now on reply of this review but most importantly in our website we clearly explain these costs to our clients.
We’d also like to highlight the fact that we have personally met all the guests staying in our villa and we weren’t told anything about this bill.
Villa San Crispolto is a self catering villa and therefore the heating and air conditioning are to be paid separately.
Who exclusively rents our villa for the week is being informed of the additional heating or air conditioned costs right from the very beginning as this is the only cost that cannot be calculated from the beginning and it always vary in accordance to the consumption that the guests make!
To help calculate separately the costs that each person using the various apartments has, we have located a gas meter for the heating system and a air con meter for the air conditioning, always accessible to anyone during the week so anyone can check the use that each apartment has made. This way costs can be very transparent and clear.

3. Location:
Our villa is placed in the Umbria - Tuscany country side overlooking the lake Trasimeno. This type of structure are very popular and requested for their location in the countryside and what is contested and considered to be a negative feature remains one of the major attractions of a property placed in the Umbrian-Tuscan countryside. Additionally, the location is perfect because Florence can be reached in 1 hour and Rome in 2 hours. The train station is nearby and from there you can reach all the important cities in Umbria and in Florence. Of course, the country side is not a metropolis and when the people who rent our villa decide to come here they are perfectly aware of this fact and they choose our villa mainly for this fact, it is a run away from the noise and the traffic of a big city where people can enjoy their holiday in Italy.
Again, on our website we clearly say that a car is suggested for the duration of the stay; it is then up to the guests to decide if they wish to rent a car or not. Villa San Crispolto then is located at 1,4 kilometers (about 1 mile) from Passignano sul Trasimeno (certainly not far away) that is a very picturesque small town placed on the lake full of restaurants, bars, terraces and most of all of tourists. Passignano sul Trasimeno has many types of restaurants from the ones recommended by Michelin or simple pubs/fast foods etc. It is then up to the people themselves to select the restaurant they like best. In September about 40 bars and restaurants are opened to tourists and so we found hilarious again another phrase “Unless you have a car, you'll be doing a long long hike up and down a steep hill to a town that is a fair distance away, with very average restaurants and bars.” What the person writing the review found to be a minuses such as the distance to the center is actually one of the reasons why our villa is being booked. The villa is situated in a panoramic place above a hill overlooking the lake. The decision to make this mile going uphill on foot is really up to each person. Obviously using a taxi or a car would have helped… I really don’t know what else to add here. As far as the bars and restaurants are regarded, I believe that the choice is complete for all tastes. Then, it is up to one to choose the best place for himself.

4. Marco’s restaurant
As far as Marco’s restaurant is regarded we prefer not to contest this opinion for the same reason we started this reply, we think that is correct for anyone to have his own opinion and so what we’ve done is to accept opinions and don’t want to change them but contest facts that are false.
Having said this, we are certainly very sorry if this person has not enjoyed the food there and we will certainly do all our best to improve continuously!
Best regards,
Marco Bernasconi
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I will never forget the beautiful experience our family had at my son and daughter-in-law's (cvhenry) wedding at Villa San Crispolto. Marco and Monica were so attentive to our needs throughout our stay at the villa and during the wedding activities. Highly professional and caring people. Beautiful villa and surroundings...a special time indeed!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I knew at a very young age that I wanted to get married in Italy. I was fascinated with the history, culture, food and people. Villa San Crispolto and Romantic Italian Weddings (Marco) did not disappoint. Marco pays attention to every important detail and makes sure the big day goes as smoothly as possible. All of the vendors that he recommended did such a wonderful job.

We were so sad to leave the villa and the Italian way of life. Marco and Monica became our friends and we would love to stay in touch with them. Our families are all discussing returning very soon to Villa San Crispolto! Great memories of history, romance and great Italian food and wine!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 5 in Tuoro sul Trasimeno
Hotel San Luca
Hotel San Luca
#16 of 24 in Cortona

Been to Villa San Crispolto? Share your experiences!