“Good cuisine, but a long list of faults”

Hotel L'Ile de la Lagune
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Saint-Cyprien
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Prior to arriving, I was contacted to check reservation was correct (2 rooms, one for 2 adults and 2 children and the other for 1 adult), so I was very surprised when I checked in to find that there was now an error and there were 2 rooms for a total of 3 adults. I was told I would need a suite and it would cost me extra. After a long drive I just accepted and asked when the room would be ready. I was told maybe an hour. We went for lunch in the restaurant. My wife looked at the menu and could not find a vegetarian dish other than salad. When I enquired, I was told "yes, there is a plate of melon". This was done in a very condescending manner. We eat and after about 90 minutes went back to find the room still not ready. 10 minutes I was told, but still, it was longer. I left the bags with reception. I came back a could of hours later to get the key to the suite. My family and I were ushered to the suite. It was a real disappointment. Poor finishing (poor paint work, mirror hung incorrectly, used Nespresso pod left, TV in the second room not working and a massive hole in the wall), which was just the beginning. We fancied some afternoon tea. We got some hot chocolate and herbal tea. No biscuits or cake. Thankfully, dinner was very good, a varied menu and wine list. The following morning, taking a shower was a disgrace, hardly any pressure on the hot water and the seals in the bathroom so badly done that what water was in the system, ended up on the floor, which made it quite dangerous. Speaking of safety, I did highlight an electrical safety point to the hotel receptionist and was met with an abrupt response; "you shouldn't be looking for the stairs and find the electrical room unopened". Check out was another mess. I complained and was given 10% off the bill, but then they ended charging me 100 euros too much, which they couldn't refund to my credit card, so they went hunting for cash, which further delayed the departure. Interestingly enough, they didn't seem to care much for the feedback, they never asked for it, I had to share it, but that sums up the indifference to customer service at this hotel. I would avoid it and look for somewhere better to stay.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank 1,673,389,223

Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last weekend and had a friend meet us after the first night. The hotel has recently been refurbished and the rooms are all very good, with comfortable beds and soft deep pillows. Maybe a couple of finishing touches need to be addressed such as some sort of blind on the bathroom window in order to not be seen by the people in the villa type accommodation opposite. When we asked at reception if they had any intention of doing anything about this lack of privacy they said No! It was an Italian shower ???? The wardrobe area in our room too had a few handles missing from the drawers, but as I said earlier I think it was in the later stages of refurb, and a few more things needed finishing off in places.
However the staff made up for anything else as they were all very friendly and helpful and tried to speak English whenever our lack of French became obvious.
The first night we ate in the restaurant and we were welcomed by the staff on arrival and taken to our table outside which was very nice with a lovely view over the small harbour. We were given 3 pre starters which we thought a bit strange, one after the other, but later discovered that they are trying to create a fine dining experience for all to enjoy.
We later met Philip the chef who said that if there was anything at all we would like then he would be happy to prepare it for us.
Patrick the manager looked after us well too and tries very hard to see all the guests over dinner to make sure they are happy.
Finally, just through the gate leading to the harbour there is a small beach with umbrella’s which would be ideal for adults and children alike and only about 20 metres from the hotel.
All in all a nice break with lovely views from our balcony and excellent staff.

Room Tip: The pool view rooms have a nice view of the harbour and the others have a fulller view of the harbou...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank IR2HELPU
Reviewed 6 February 2011

109€ incl. breakfast. Room was a very good size, very clean, including a seating area on a slightly lower level from bed and a large patio.

With regards to one of the other reviews - It seems a little harsh to give such a low rating because the reviewer thought the place looked dated.. come on, a lot of hotels also date quickly. Hoteliers almost need a crystal ball to choose a style that will not date quickly.

Lovely view across the lagoon to the beach. Hotel is to the south of the main town, it is quieter down there and there is a lovely beach and nature reserve a short drive to the south of the town.

I can imagine the terrace and pool area on a warm summer's evening would be very pleasant. We didn't try the restaurant on this occasion.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nothingtoulouse
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Oh dear, a 20 year old hotel that is showing its age. The staff are friendly and there is a welcoming log fire,but.............. The restaurant is V expensive, there was a fixed menu of 70€ which wasn't advised at time of booking. Admittedly it was Xmas eve, however I asked for a plat only for which I was charged €40!!
This is a tired hotel which begs the question why it was built where it stands (and why the access road remains unfinished!). The WC was not clean and the previous occupant had already written in the dust on the bedroom mirror!
Far better to stay up the coast at the sister hotel Les Flamants Roses which is 4star and better value.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank BordeauxMac
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We had a junior suite which was a nice size, but everything seemed faded, not contemporary and definitely had seen better days. The gardens and waterways were nice, the receptionists were very good, but the service during breakfast was poor.

The Hotel's restaurant L'Almadine (which is a one star Michelin) was extremely expensive and very disappointing, with restricted choices on the set menu, and rather ordinary a la carte food (we had steak with 8 pieces of macaroni for 38 euros, and cheese course for 19 euros).

The hotel rooms had no info on their hotel services in the room, and the wifi service was expensive after your initial free one hour.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Onestewart
Reviewed 14 September 2007

This is a small, high quality, well-run hotel. It's on an island, in the lagoon, so not directly on the beach, but it's very peaceful and quiet. The hotel is the only building on the island and closes the gate on the bridge overnight, so it's very secure.
The hotel runs a boat shuttle to the beach in the high-season, though not whilst we were there.
We had a junior suite which had plenty of room and was very well equipped. There was a bit of noise from the air-conditioning compressors outside the room. Staff were always courteous and helpful.
The restaurant is a high-class restaurant. It's not cheap, but the food was outstanding. The nearest shops and restaurants are a good 10 minutes walk away and the beach area is largely non-commercial.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank catmouse
Reviewed 29 November 2006

My husband and I decided to splurge one night on our honeymoon, and the decision paid off beautifully in this little hotel.

As it was the off-season, I think we had better luck in getting our room, which was a junior suite that overlooked both the lagoon and the Mediterranean. We had a lovely sunset over the Pyrenees beside us, and a sunrise over the sea the next morning.

The staff was nothing but helpful, though the only down point was when we asked for an iron for my husband's shirt. The only one they had was older and a little dirty, but did work quite well. They also did not have an ironing board for us, so I had to press it on the table, but that was a minor point against the relaxation we found here.

We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Cyprien
La Lagune Beach Resort and Spa
Hotel Madeloc
Hotel Madeloc
#1 of 16 in Collioure
Relais des Trois Mas et Restaurant La Balette

Been to Hotel L'Ile de la Lagune? Share your experiences!