“Lovely, but.....”
Review of Jumeirah Vittaveli

Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely, but.....”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The location, the staff facilities all fantastic. Unfortunately let down a little by incompetence and excessive charges.
Breakfast supposedly includes breakfast but it wasn't very forthcoming and I actually felt guilty for asking for a second glass.
The food was good but not fantastic. a meal ordered for room service took well over an hour, though the price was reduced for that. When dining with another couple my steak was very over done so I sent it back, the required rare steak hadn't appeared by the time my friends had finished their meals.
That said, its still fairly early days and these could be teething problems. I hope so as it really is a beautiful place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oodle007
Graham K, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Oodle007,

Thank you for your review of Vittaveli on Trip Advisor and your comments, both positive and negative on your experience at the resort. I apologize that you had to wait a long time for In Villa Dining and that your steak was not cooked as you wished. I will look carefully at how training is conducted and see that we strengthen our processes for both these instances so that improvements can be made.

Apart from this, I note that you found the resort beautiful and I hope that the other aspects of your stay were enjoyable enough that you wish to return. Please do contact me on graham.kiy@jumeirah.com if you wish to do so and I will be delighted to assist you

Jumeirah Vittaveli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 9 days: 7 days in a beach villa and 2 days in a lagoon suite

Positives:
- Good location, close to the airport, smooth transfer
- Early check-in accommodated with no problem
- Villas are very large and comfortable: nice pool and good entertainment system with lots of movies in different languages and internet keyboard. Villas are ranking quite well in terms of facilities and size, compared to our leading hotel chains I stayed in, e.g. W hotels.
- Lagoon Suite was absolutely amazing and unique, very spacious and separated from everything else (100m from the island), we were getting around there using a small boat designated for the lagoon suites. This was the highlight of our stay and I would highly recommend it.
- SPA service was quite good and really enjoyed the over water SPA suits. Also, make sure you try the ginger lemon grass signature drink served there
- Each villa has its own bicycles, which is a lot of fun and easy to get around the island, given that baggy service is incredibly slow
- Breakfast: at first it seemed that the choice is quite narrow and boring, but then we found out that we can actually order almost anything we wanted and they would cook it for us. We typically had fresh coconuts and sashimi & sushi for breakfast, keep these in mind otherwise the buffet is quite limited. The senior waiter responsible for breakfast was very attentive and tried his best to make our breakfast experience more comfortable.
- Cooking Classes: we had a lot of fun during the cooking classes with Paul, their main chef, highly recommended!
- Photo Shoot: very attentive and good quality picture, but a high price, over $300 for 70pics. Don’t miss it out, it’s worth it!

Negatives:
- Main issue I had at this hotel is that service is VERY SLOW and below the industry standards for hotels of such caliber. We had to wait for up to 30 minutes for a buggy, and it becomes very annoying that you cannot leave anywhere from your room unless you asked for a buggy well in advance. While staying at a lagoon suite, everything was much quicker, given that there was a boat designated for the suits and so no problem at all with waiting times! There was only an issue once, when we had to wait for 25minutes for a boat, and were given an excuse that the staff was having a lunch and we had to wait until they are done. (Seriously?). This was very annoying, as we were in the middle of a photo shoot!
- Room service was also very slow and spoils the whole vacation experience to wait for up to 40 minutes for a fresh juice or a fruit platter. Same concerning any other requests, e.g. laundry or housekeeping request – keep in mind that everything is very slow and at times we had to call them a number of times before they actually sent somebody to our room. We tried to address this with the staff, but all we could hear is “we are very sorry” and nothing changed in the end.
- Staff and butlers (perhaps we just didn’t get so lucky with our butler) need more training to make the guest stays more unique and personalized. Its quite annoying and intimidating that all we can hear from them is “hello, how are you?” and “we are very sorry”, quite clearly they don’t want to put an effort to really find out about your experience and make your stay more comfortable. It was also very surprising that we needed to chase our butler and concierge for our queries, instead of them getting back to us with complete information.
- Watch out for the Diesel smell around some of the villas, I think these due to the mosquito poisoning, makes it impossible to get out of your room at around 5pm when they start poising the mosquitoes. Ask for a villa that is further from this place. No problem with the smell in the lagoon villas.
- Housekeeping: quite disappointing, swimming pool was not cleaned; some bathroom amenities were not changed, even after we requested them. Housekeeping staff speaks poor English and it’s difficult to explain them your requests. Housekeeping was flawless, however, while we were staying at a lagoon suite, very attentive and personalized. 5 stars!
- Restaurants and Food: good selection of restaurants for an island resort, no complain about the prices, however food quality and taste were very average. Nothing like we were used to in other Jeremiah properties in Dubai/Abu Dhabi. One would expect very delicious food and unique dining experience in Maldives, especially under the management of Jeremiah. This rate very poorly compared to other resorts I stayed in.
- Property needs a bit more nature and seems to lack greenness and tress. Sometimes, you feel like the island is sort of artificial and lack the natural, exotic environment. This issue should be addressed by the hotel.

Overall, the hotel has a lot of potential: villas and suits are large and comfortable and it’s a shame that this property is managed so badly, with the service and waiting times at unacceptable levels. I would really encourage Jumeriah to look into these issues carefully. I received feedback from my friends that the other Jeremiah property in Maldives is managed far better with no serious complains.

6 Thank LoveDubai777
Dear ArturS,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor with such detailed feedback on both positive and other aspects of your stay with us.

I am of course concerned that you feel the resort is not well managed and that your stay was overall not as you expected. Please accept our apologies for these shortcomings, as we certainly do aim to please and delight all our guests with personal and memorable experiences. I regret that we did not meet during your stay as I believe I was away from the island at that time

I will look into these issues that you raised, especially of slow service as this is very important. The addition of bicycles for each and every villa has, in general, reduced demand for our buggy services but clearly there are still times when that needs to be improved. We will also work on further training of our colleagues to volunteer information and find solutions

Food and Beverage is an area that we are constantly looking at and we’ll make efforts there to come up with improvements in a wider cycle of items for breakfast and more frequent and daily changing “specials” in all restaurants

You are right that our colleagues are very accommodating and often volunteer items which are not on the menu just to ensure that our clients are satisfied. I will pass on your kind comments to the Samsara team as well as Chef Paul, who is extremely outgoing and enjoys interacting with guests

I find it hard to agree with you that trees and greenery are lacking on Vittaveli. There are literally thousands of trees on the island and the vegetation is thick and lush. The only part of the island which is deliberately left as a sandy open space is that next to Samsara restaurant, as that space is used for functions, hotel events especially and for children’s club activities. Your perception is clearly different, kindly write to me and let me know where exactly you found the look and feel of the island could be improved and I would be glad to look at how we could improve that. My e mail address is graham.kiy@jumeirah.com

Finally, I assure you that all of your feedback will be taken seriously and used for improvements that will benefit all our guests present and future. I hope that your experiences will not deter you from staying with us again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Vittaveli in the future

Kind Regards,

Munich
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We (my husband, our 8 year old daughter, our 6 month old son and I) spent 12 fantastic days in the Jumeirah Vittaveli. From the 1st day till the last we have just enjoyed everything. The management of the island is very professional. You get a form in advance for special needs eg for children and everything is then arranged when you arrive in your villa.

As many have already written, the layout of the villa is great and even with 4 people big enough. A big plus is the big daybed for smaller children, as they can be outside but always in the shade. The size of the pool spoiled our daughter for future trips, as you can really swim. The maledivian swing is also a great thing for kids, especially for our son! The interior is nice, nothing special but no "gold knob" style but also not nature style like six sense. I guess it meets all tastes.

But the biggest plus of the island is the staff. We have never had such a nice service and we have seen many 5 star resorts of different companies all over the world, also in the Maldives. Wherever you went we were greeted so nicely, that you really felt special.
To beginn with Sajesh and his team in the Samsara restaurant they were so lovely. When we just had an asking look someone came and tried to help us. Our kids where treated like prince and princess. If there was time our son or then the " honeybunnybaby" was carried around so we had a very relaxing breakfast or diner. The food on the breakfast is nice and all you need, at diner time it is buffet or a la carte, we took mostly a la carte and that was really good.
Even better was the food in the Finesse, a very romantic setting. Perfect cooking by a Sri lankian chef and again the service was fantastic. We celebrated our anniversary there and we will never forget the lovely table decoration. The promise we will make something special for you was really true.
If you like to have a relaxed island sand grill atmosphere you have to go to the Mu. Easy and nice grill food, maybe a weekly changing menu would be an improvement if you stay longer.

Also the housekeeping service is extraordinary, very friendly and super clean. Maybe some more fogging of rhe island would be good as some mosquitos can be quite annoying. But it is nature...

Some words about the island, the island is beautiful but somehow man made so you see on some places a weathering, but I guess it will be repared soon. So when you think what side to take, we would recommend sunset in the middle. There is really soft sand, the beach not too deep and an unspoiled view, on sunrise we also did not like the view of the garbage island. And the villas on the far end, there is not so much sand left.
The reef is almost unspoiled and very interesting on both sides. You can see turtles, sharks, mantas etc. easily when you swim 20 m from your villa. Kids love the coloured fishes and there are plenty. If you need help concerning diving our snorkelling you get very professional help from the dive center.

The kids club is also amazing and has very nice staff. As our daugther is too shy to speak English she did not do too many activities, but those she made like the island treasure hunt or cookie making or palm leaf origami was very nice.

So all in all a perfect holiday and mostly because of the service. So we can not agree to other review writers that Jumeirah service in Dubai is better, as we had a 2 day stopover in the jumeirah Madinat in Dubai we could compare. The Madinat is professional but impersonal, but Vittaveli was professional and personal. So we are already planning when to come back.
Last but not least a comment concerning the buggies. The island is really not big and every Villa has bicycles (unfortunately not for children) so you can either walk or ride a bike, we did not miss to have a buggy ride to every place we went.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dadiisa
Dear Dadiisa,

Thank you for your review of Jumeirah Vittaveli on Trip Advisor. The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and are inspired to return! That is the highest compliment a guest could ever pay us.

Many clients enjoy the spacious and tastefully decorated villas, which I agree with you, are a nice mix of luxury and comfort. But most of all we are so glad that the team helped you and your family relax and enjoy their stay.

We have a monthly meeting with all our colleagues at Vittaveli and it is at these meetings that we take care to thank our colleagues whenever their names are mentioned by guests as having “made a difference”. Sajesh and his team at Samsara, the Fenesse team and last but not least, housekeeping for keeping your villa clean with a smile, these groups will all be properly thanked.

I have taken to heart your comments on Mu’s menu and we will be adding some new weekly and daily dishes that are changed often, so that longer staying guests have more variety to choose from.

To your comments on the beach: both completely natural and man-made islands in the Maldives are prone to the sand moving around the island during different seasons; erosion. The solutions we adopt are friendliest to the environment; to both add fresh sand on to eroded areas and to re-pump sand from the sea floor to restore those beaches. At certain times, though, sand which was replaced would simply wash wway again, so we do have to wait for favourable tide conditions to do this work. The addition of many more groynes or breakwaters would solve this problem, but then we might end up with an island that looks like a harbor and the natural feeling would be gone

I will pass your kind comments on our dive centre team to them and am really pleased to see they helped you enjoy the underwater world which is such a draw in the Maldives.

Since we have installed the adult bikes, there are less guests requesting buggies and this has reduced the waiting time in many cases, as well as providing fun recreational ways to get around. We have ordered children’s bikes of course, they will soon be at the resort. We have also ordered some tandems which I am sure will be very popular.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to Vittaveli in the near future

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed at the beach villa 18 two nights and seashell villa 1 two nights. Both are great, spacious and clean and with good size pool, few minutes swimming from villa then you could snorkel with many fish, especially the lagoon villa. Definitely one of the best villa I have ever stayed. We have tried spa two times, one of the best exprences I have ever had, but very expensive.
We have tried all the three restaurants, not one of the best I have ever had, but I could not deny the foods were good. Junian was courteous to us at Mu. My wife got a free tasty birthday cake, it was a nice touch.
Before I went there, I got an e-mail asked to fill out a form telling our preference, I sent it back, and got a response mail saying they got my preference form, but when we arrived there, no one knew it, one man took out the same form and asked us to write it again.
During our whole stay, no one showed and introduced himself was our butler. The second day I called for a DVD player, the man asked me who is our butler, I told him no butler showed, but after that, still no butler during our stay. And long after that call, one man brought DVD player, he seemed unhappy to be bothered by us and took the tips without smiling or saying any thanks (but when we changed to lagoon villa, Bassam brought DVD player with courtesy).
In the last day, because our speedboat time was changed from 8:30 to 8:00, a man from reception promised there would be a buggy wait for us at 7:50 in the afternoon, but no buggy showed then, to my surprise, when we hurried to the reception, the receptionists there have absolutely no idea, one man even tried to argue our boat time was at 8:30.
When we arrived, a lady took a professional camera to take a photo for us, and let us check the photo if we like it from the camera. When we were leaving , I thought of that and asked Bassam shouldn’t we get that photo, Bassam only said I understand, and then we were hurrying to the boat and left, nothing happened, what a strange resort.
All in all, if you care the villa itself, you could choose here, but if you care the service, you might want to find somewhere else.

Room Tip: lagoon villa is better for snorkeling, with more fish and coral reef nearby
2 Thank CHENCHIAHUNG
Dear CHENCHIAHUNG,

Thank you for your review of Vittaveli on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you found the Villas at Vittaveli to your liking, spacious and well cleaned. I am of course very concerned that you did not receive the service for which our company has become well known and I apologize that this was so.

I will certainly look into the issues which you mentioned with urgency as I can see that many mistakes were avoidable; especially cases where a colleague’s attitude or willingness are called into question

Apart from looking into the above comments and taking corrective actions, I would also like to be able to send you a soft and hard copy of the welcome photo which was taken on your arrival. This should have been delivered to your room as it is our customary welcome gesture.
If you could be so kind as to e mail me on graham.kiy@jumeirah.com I will be more than happy to do that. I look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

We only stayed there for a couple of nights but had a great time. A variety of good food at breakfast. The Maldivian fish curries were amazing. The bar staff looked after us well. I thought the bathrooms were so beautiful - see their images. We had a complimentary sunset boat ride followed by complimentary cocktails and nibbles. Met the British chef/catering staff who was very welcoming. A special thank you to Moussa our butler who was courteous and kind. The lady manager was great and very friendly. It was nice to try out this resort and the Dhevanafushi resort which was stunning and exceptional. Very clean everywhere, privacy and great rooms.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank DfromEngland
Dear Dfrom England,

Thank you for your review of Jumeirah Vittaveli on Trip Advisor. The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will make sure that Moosa is thanked personally for his having helped to make your stay special.

I see that you enjoyed our sister property in the Maldives, Dhevanafushi, too, so would like to thank you for your support and patronage of Jumeirah in the Maldives!

I hope we have inspired you to want to return to stay with us again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back

Kind regards,

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We have just been to the Maldives for the first time and stayed in a Sunset Villa which was just amazing. Our Butler was so helpful and very easy to get along with and his knowledge of the IT system/TV was excellent. The Villas was spacious and we thoroughly enjoyed the luxurious bathroom with its amazing outside shower and huge bath tub. The food in Mu on the beach was so fantastic and to sit with your feet in the sand eating amazing seafood, with some wonderful wine was our idea of perfect. There are bikes for every Villa to enable easy access around the island, although it isn't very big and it is a joy to walk around and see all the different areas. The over water villas are amazing and have been tastefully decorated. All the staff are helpful and friendly and go out of their way to make you feel relaxed and welcomed. We cannot wait to go back again.

Room Tip: All are amazing. We like being on the beach so had a sunset room, which in the evening was just ama...
Dear DianeCourt54,

Thank you for your review of Jumeirah Vittaveli on Trip Advisor. I am very glad that your first trip to the Maldives was so enjoyable and that we played a major part in that. Thank you for mentioning our colleagues’ skill at showing you around the Villa and the facilities - our Apple TV system is very popular with clients and allows access to all sorts of entertainment as well as resort information and activities.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed the bicycles too; many guests comment that this is a good and fun way to get around our island. We are excited to say that we will soon have tandems available for honeymooners who will find them to be a great and fun memory
I hope we have achieved our goal of offering you personalized and fond memories and experiences, and look forward to welcoming you back to Vittaveli in the near future

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the sunset over water villas and the views were just breathtaking. The staff was friendly and interactive. The sunset cruise on their luxury yacht was a highlight with an absolute dramatic sunset. Avoid staying on the sunrise villas as they have the views of the Male city.

• Stayed September 2013
AmitMajumder, Resident Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Pritish

Thank you for your time for the review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed the friendly services of the colleagues and the Luxury Yacht Sunset cruise.

With regards to the views from the sunrise side we do have a number of guests who specifically request for the sunrise side for both Beach Villas and Over Water Villas. While on the sunset side, there is nothing but the expansive Indian Ocean stretching across the horizon, the sunrise side offers views of distant islands. With Male about 10 kilometers away, guests have mentioned in the past that they find the faraway view of the islands and the faint lights in the evenings, quite comforting. It is a matter of choice, we would say.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future and if there is anything else that I may assist you with in the meantime, please do contact me.

Yours sincerely

Amit Majumder
Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolifushi Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Emboodhu Finolhu
Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort
Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort
#1 of 1 in Dhigufinolhu Island

Been to Jumeirah Vittaveli? Share your experiences!