“Amazing Kids Club & Escape from Reality”
Review of Jumeirah Vittaveli

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed 4 nights in late May 2014 at Jumeirah Vittaveli with 3 children (8,6 and 3). We had a Beach Suite and it was huge. The 3 girls where so excited when we walked into the Suite they could not contain their emotion and ran around like crazy cats. The youngest would not allow the flower petals, camel and colouring books to be removed from her huge bed. The pool around the villa was an instant hit and our youngest daughter has returned from the Maldives fearless of the water and swimming..The greatest feature for us was the huge kids club with the friendliest team. Our kid instantly fell in love with Zammy, Larry, Hassan and Shalini. Our girls miss you and all they want to do now is go to the Kids club, sadly we don't have one at home. We felt so welcome and special from the moment we got off the plane and where met by a Jumeirah host until the moment we were put back on a plane. Long to return, its like waking up from a dream coming home.

Room Tip: Ask to be up wind and far away from any Generators if possible...During Monsoon (May June and July t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Graham K, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Nick D,

Thank you for your review and I am very glad that you enjoyed your family holiday with us. I will see that Zammy, Larry, Hassan and Shalini are all thanked for their parts in making your and your children’s stay special. We are delighted to hear your children made good use out of the Kuda Koli Kid’s Club and that your daughter thoroughly enjoyed our large villa swimming pool.

We are in the business of providing memorable holiday experiences and I am thrilled to see that we have done just that for you and your young family.

We look forward to seeing you at Vittaveli again as soon as you can return!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is our first Maldives vacation and first TripAdvisor review, as we decided to choose Jumeirah Vittaveli mainly based on the reviews we read here, therefore we should contribute for others to reference.

We spent 6 days here and stayed at Sunset Ocean Villa. First of all, we have to thank God giving us the superb weather even during the raining season. Then we have to thank the great team in JV made our vacation so enjoyable and memorable:

Our butler Shiva, he remembered every details on our requests we sent over and arranged everything upon our arrival. And we much appreciate that he arranged another villa on our check out day and allowed us staying till our departure at 8pm. It made our day.

If you are same as I that afraid of going into the water, pls look for Trevor from diving center. He is the best instructor, he helped me overcome the fear, and let me enjoyed my first snorkelling experience. He is awesome!

Spa - We tried one round and have to encore another round before we left JV. We highly recommended our therapists: Kanlayanee and Sukanya. They have excellent skills. Also Spa consultant Victoria also made good suggestion for massage type.

After good stuffs, here comes to the bad parts:
Food - coming from Asia, it is a bit disappointed on food quality here in general. But the worse was our first dinner at MU grilled - the theme was 'seafood market' buffet dinner. However, there were only 2 seafood choices at the BBQ corner - fish and prawn. It should offer more BBQ seafood types, e.g. clam, squid, crab, etc.

Breakfast as Samsara was good. Jihas made very delicious wafers with heart and cheerful smile always. Staff at Samsara are cheerful, smiles are always on their faces. The restaurant manager (I believe) came to say hi every times we visit Samsara and offered very good services.

We tried Fenesse and it offered best food out of the 3 restaurants. And they prepared the birthday cake on my friend's birthday, much appreciate.

The other thing was the waiting time at airport. We stayed one night at Male and the hotel (Traders) told us JV will arrange pick up at airport 11:30. They sent us back to airport JV counter at 11:20. The JV staff told us that we need to wait for few guests flew in from international flight. We have been waited for almost 2 hours at a no air-con area. This was the most unpleasant memory in our trip.
We met Graham - GM of JV in the Monday cocktail party, and mentioned to him our experience. He apologised, and on the next day, he arranged a compliment wine sent to our villa which we didn't expected. We didn't officially file a compliant but he showed us what a quality service is.

I believe I wrote enough. Overall, it was a great trip and we enjoyed very much. Even though there were some 'defects', JV met our expectations and we look forward to visiting JV again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Reey822

Dear Reey822,

Thank you for your review of Vittaveli, I remember our meeting and discussing those items you mentioned. We have contacted the travel agents concerned and reminded them that we do have a 24 hour speedboat transfer service from Male airport, which takes only twenty minutes, so you don't really need to spend the first night in Male, unless you want to, even on a late arrival flight.

My suggestion would be to come straight to the resort, at least on your first morning here you will realize that you have woken up in paradise! We are also contacting guests directly from their hotels in Male on the first morning with the correct times for speedboat pick up.

I will see that we thank Shiva, your butler, Kalyanee and Sukanya, as well as Victoria at the Talise Spa, plus Trevor our well known Dive Instructor at the Dive Centre. He has helped many different guests to snorkel and dive with his patience and understanding and is a great asset. Shiva and the Spa team are also often mentioned for their attention to detail and caring ways.

I have noted your comment on the seafood variety of the special night at MU and we will use your feedback for improvements

Finally - I have to say that I really like the title of your review. It is always our ambition to be able to welcome guests back to the resort after their first stay. Do contact me personally on graham.kiy@jumeirah.com if I am able to help you with your booking in any way

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Vittaveli

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in an over water turtle villa it was wonderful we loved every moment. It was my husbands birthday and also our wedding anniversary so the hotel surprised us with a cake on his birthday and a romantic turndown in the villa on our anniversary. If you want to celebrate an anniversary let them know ;) we had a small problem on our last day since our flight was late at night and we wanted a late checkout but the hotel was already fully booked the manager kindly arranged us to stay at a day villa for the last few hours; which was perfect for us, to relax n shower before our flight. The only compliment was the prices; everything in the resort was too expensive....but looking back it was so worth it.

Room Tip: Over water villas are perfect for couples
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alaa A
Graham K, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Alaa A,

Thank you for your review of Jumeirah Vittaveli, I am glad that you enjoyed your anniversary with us, and your husband's birthday too. Vittaveli is a special place for special occassions, well liked by couples as well as families and we take great pleasure in providing guests with memories that make their stay enjoyable

Running a luxury resort in an island location such as this is not easily achieved and entails a high cost. I do hope that although we do not pretend to offer low prices, that you found value in the experiences which we provided

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jumeirah Vittaveli in the near future, do please contact us if we may be of any assistance with your future bookings

Jumierah Vittaveli

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

It was our second visit for this great resort. I will still recommend this resort to my friends. Good doesn't meant perfect. I will try to be as neutral as possible in this review, and substantiate my comment with examples. If you find this is helpful, please give me a helpful vote which will encourage me to continue to share my experience.

Goods points:

1. Location

The convenience of a short speed boat trip from Male.

2. Excellent airport reception and check in

We were the only guests on our flight as we arrived around 10pm. We were taken to speed boat immediately at arrival, and altogether 5 or 6 staffs including the night manager welcomed us at the pier before taking us to the villa. A very good start indeed.

3. Excellent villa

Everything inside the villa was great. They added some sun care amenities for the ladies this time which turned out to be of superb qualities ( mostly made of natural ingredients).

We stayed at both water villa and beach villa before and they are both great. I personally prefer beach villa a bit more because there are more shade, and the pool is bigger. At the month we stayed which was the windy season, the sea is a bit rough. I do believe if during a calm day, the water villa will be great.

I stayed at sunset side last year and sunrise side this year. We were up at 5.30 to see sunrise. It was amazing. The beach was beautiful, the water was so calm, sunrise was stunning.

But at the sunrise side you are going to see Male and the trash island - from a great distance. It didn't bother us at all but if you prefer to see no modern facilities, go for the sunset side.

4. The continuous improvement attitude of the management

This year we have bicycle in each villa so we can have less reliance on the buggies, which is good. And for the beach villa they put plants to improve privacy but that also meant you can't see the beach when you are inside your villa. I think it's ok as they put your private sun beds outside the plant so that you can have a great lazy afternoon at the beach.

They said there is a pizza oven now. We have not tried it as we don't see pizza neither in the room service menu nor the Finesse restaurant.

5. House reef

We enjoyed snorkeling in the house reef. Just a short swim you will see beautiful coral and fishes. We saw a huge sea turtle this time!

The minus:

1. Some minor details on implementation.

For example the type of bicycle they used is not quite suitable for the road condition that is full of sand, and there are holes here and there. The bicycles are too tall for anyone shorter than 5 ft 6 and who are not cycling regularly. If you are not good at cycling be careful especially if you are staying at water villa.

2. Butler service is a hit and miss.

Yes they are not your personal butler so they are not always available. But because the check in orientation is so good that give people impression that it is personal but as they need to entertain so many different guests, it's difficult for them to please everyone. Also when your assigned butler is on leave the handover should have been done better.

3. Others

Generally speaking there are rooms for improvement for the service for this trip. For example we were not confirmed the time for check out and speed boat connection the night before, even though I asked our butler to check 3 times during our stay. The last request was made by me at 9pm the night before check out and the butler said he will get back to me in 2 minutes time but never called back. The next day morning when I asked at 9am they said we need to check out at 11am. But at 1030, while we are about to pack, they came and said they want our luggages as we should be ready 30 minutes before departure. Well we never received the departure letter so we don't know about this. We told the porter we needed sometime to pack but we were chased soon after we got started. Not a big deal, but some last minute stresses.

Other minor issue like they kept coming in to your villa for different things at different time, cleaning the pool, checking mini bar, etc. So do make sure you have your do not disturb sign on if you don't want to be disturbed. The last night they came for turn down service, it was at around 10pm, which I think it later than anyone should expect. Also they insisted to deliver a birthday cake for my wife, again at 10pm, even though I said we don't need one then - my wife birthday was the day before!

All in all, I think this is still a great resort and I still give it a 5 stars rating. Management is trying to improve I think that's important. Well it's Maldives and it's a holiday. For those who used to stay with 5 star hotels downtown during your business trips, you should tune down your expectation a bit and try to be more layback and relaxed.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kelvin3883
Graham K, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Kelvin 3883,

Thank you for your review of Vittaveli on Trip Advisor, I am very glad that you enjoyed your second stay with us and that you see improvements from your last stay. I appreciate you taking the trouble to mention that you noticed that we keep new touches coming.

We have actually ordered medium sized bicycles, and they are soon to be delivered, together with some eco-friendly dynamo lights for evening use on the bikes. I have asked our team to look into how the butler service can be improved, as well as the procedures you outlined for departure, luggage pick up and general access to the Villa while occupied. All valid points as I am sure every guest would like to use our large and comfortable villas to the max without disturbance. Missing the delivery of your wife’s birthday is inexcusable and I do apologize for that mistake.

Rest assured we have taken on board your feedback and will use it to effect the necessary improvements. I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jumeirah Vittaveli for your third stay in the near future. There will definitely be some new touches in the resort at that time...

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was our second stay with Jumeirah Vittaveli - and hopefully not our last!
The resort is a 25min speedboat ride away from the capital city Malé and the airport. We arrived at the resort in the morning which means that our villas have not yet been ready, which was no problem as we were first brought to the main restaurant Samsara for breakfast. All the staff there were very friendly and welcoming. To our surprise, our butler informed us that our villa would be ready by ten o'clock already! Very delighted, we were taken to our villa. There, the next surprise awaited us: our room was not only neatly cleaned and prepared, we also got a small tray with dates and nuts, chocolates and a fruit basket with Champagne. But the most beautiful we discovered, was the bed decoration, made by our villa attendant Sujau. Even though we arrived early in the morning, long before regular check-in time, during high season and everything... he still found time to give a special attention to our room by decorating the bed with all sorts of petals and leaves for a warm "Welcome back!".
During our stay we tried all three restaurants and enjoyed the different food they offer. Staff was always friendly and the food delicious. You should not miss the Maldivian night on Sunday night, which offers the guests in insight into Maldivian tradition, not only from the culinary side but also from the cultural perspective! Some more tips: You can get free snorkeling equipment at the dive center and at 5:30 pm every day, there is a fish feeding happening close to the Spa area where lots of manta rays are coming.
Thank you Vittaveli Team for this fabulous holiday, we hope to be back soon!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank schneeeflocke
Graham K, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Scneeeflocke,

Thank you very much for your review of Jumeirah Vittaveli, I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt well taken care of by our colleagues. The short speedboat ride from the airport, the pool in every villa and healthy house reef are all attractions which regular guests tell us keeps them coming back

I will see that Sujau in particular is thanked for his part in making you feel special, as apart from the above “features” it is the colleagues which really make the difference to your holiday. We regularly discuss the names of colleagues singled out for praise by guests at our “Town Hall meetings” where those individuals are thanked in person. Your mention of them is great encouragement

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back as soon as your schedule allows, and look forward to showing you some new touches around the resort, which we are always developing

Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was our first family holiday with our two small children, aged 19m and 3 yrs. Location couldn't be easier as a short 20 minute boat ride from the baggage hall. The beach villa (sunrise side) was perfect and individual pool huge - fantastic for the 3 yr old. The staff everywhere were super friendly, particularly at the kid's club. We were at first reluctant to leave the children there but staff there (Larry, Sami) became a huge hit quickly, even with our youngest. Other highlights included a huge surprise birthday cake, the spa and the beach. Only thing I would not recommend is the diving - dive centre staff couldn't have been more friendly and professional but this island's marine life is a shadow of other islands I have visited. In summary, our eldest still talks about it and plans flights back most nights. Thank you!

Room Tip: Beach villas were ideal if have kids.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear S P G,

Thank you for your review of Vittaveli, I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the resort well suited to a family with two young children. The proximity to Male, a pool in every villa and the large Kid’s Club are usually great attractions that convince clients to book with us.

Facilities alone are not enough though and it is the colleagues which make a difference and help to provide Magical Maldivian Moments. I will certainly pass on your compliments to our colleagues at Kid’s Club and the Dive Centre.

As for the marine life of the island, you seem to be very experienced and blessed with having seen some wonderful marine life in past visits or other destinations – so I cannot comment other than (as a new diver) tell you what I have seen personally, our dive instructors have taken me to a coral cave within 200 yards of the island to show me nurse sharks, 2 – 4 meters in length, asleep.

I have also seen turtles, reef sharks, octopus, lion fish, sting rays (of course), eels, clown fish, Napoleon Fish, Giant Groupers – and am a bit shy to say I have only been diving five times. Perhaps that means there is even more out there for me to discover.

We rarely see Mantas here, but I have even seen a few of those at Vittaveli in certain seasons....

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Vittaveli

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We travelled to this resort 2 weeks ago as a family of 4 and we will never return.

Reasons became apparent from the start
1. We arrived at Male airport with 2 small children -aged 2 and 3 yrs. They were exhausted after a long day of travelling. We were then told we would have to wait at burger king!!!!! at the airport for 45 mins for the boat to arrive!
2. There was a mix up with our room, I do believe now that it was the travel agent at fault however before we knew this management were completely unhelpful and unsympathetic. When I asked to speak to management the general manager told us he would catch up with us at dinner that night!!!!!!!!! Which he then didn't.
3. We had a completely uninspiring butler attached to the room who never smiled.
4. The resort has been landscaped poorly with unattractive buildings and way too much concrete.
5. Public toilets were always dirty.
6. Our room was never cleaned properly- we had to call to ask the bath to be cleaned.
7. Dirty towels were left strewn around the main pool all day.
8. On our last day we asked for a slightly later check up to allow our kids to sleep over lunch prior to getting on a long flight. This proved to be a hassle to achieve. It was then ignored as we had the pool guys come and clean the pool while we were still there. This was even before the 12pm normal check out time. We were all trying to shower and get ready in an open air bathroom with strangers in a 10ft vicinity. We asked them to leave, they didn't.
9. Our in room films didn't work.
10. We received a list of daily activities that took place at the kids club. My children never did any of these. From what I experienced the kids club consisted mainly of watching tele.
11. Wine on the wine list was not available.
12. On the first night there was loud music till 2am in the morning and my children were unable to sleep.
I relayed all my frustrations to the general manager who failed to do anything.

We have stayed in the maldives many times but we have never experienced such disappointment from what is supposedly a 5 star hotel. Never again. There were other issues but I think I have written enough.
The only staff that were nice were the 2 guys in the kids club.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank julie b
Graham K, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear julieb,

Thank you for your review of Jumeirah Vittaveli. First of all, my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your stay at our resort – it is certainly never our intention to disappoint, but rather to delight our valued guests.

Allow me to respond to the points which you raised individually:

The resort you stayed at prior to Vittaveli sent you to the airport sooner than expected and we arranged the closest speedboat available to get you to the resort. We are now fitting out a purpose built arrival lounge at the airport which will soon be of great help in making our arriving guests more comfortable.

Apologies that I missed you at dinner on your first evening; I recall seeking and finding you on your way to your villa, at which point your children were tired and you did not want to speak further.

The Villa category which was booked by your agent was the same as that given on arrival, I am sorry that you feel our reaction to you was unsympathetic –our Assistant Operations Manager offered you a move to a villa on the sunset side of the island, which due to high occupancy was only possible at 10 pm on your arrival day. We offered this regardless of what you had booked with the travel agent as a complimentary upgrade. I recall meeting you the morning following your arrival and suggesting that you see that option. You were shown the sunset villa that day and offered a room move by 2:30 pm that day, however you chose to remain in your original villa on the sunrise side of the island.

I have raised the comments which you made on the butler assigned to you with the relevant section head and we will be conducting further training to improve. We have also requested Housekeeping Managers to monitor any public areas or facilities more closely, especially during peak usage times

I beg to differ with your views on the landscaping of the resort and assure you that the minimal amount of concrete used anywhere is absolutely necessary for various reasons. The look and feel of the resort is something we are very concerned about, always working on and regular guests tell us that it gets better every year. Should you have any particular suggestions for areas that you think we should improve, do please let me know as I take a personal interest in the gardening and landscaping of the resort

I was not in the resort on your last couple of days with us but understand that you did actually remain in the villa until 1:45 pm for a 2:00 pm departure on your last day. I am not sure what you mean by “hassle” in achieving this, and if that last couple of hours was interrupted by pool cleaners, my humble apologies, we will ensure a different procedure is followed in the future.
I do have records that our Housekeeping Attendants were asked to remove leaves from your outdoor bathtub, however no trace of any record expressing your disappointment in any other aspect of the Villa cleaning service. If you could kindly offer more details of areas that we should improve that would be most appreciated. My e mail address is graham.kiy@jumeirah.com

We offer 320 wines on our list - I apologize that the Argentinian Malbec was out of stock during your visit. I am assured by our restaurant team that a suitable alternative was offered with a similar price and I have ensured that our wine list is now updated and re-printed with a new addition to replace the out of stock item

Our Kid’s Club offers a variety of activities to children of all ages – but sometimes little ones don’t want to do exactly what we offer. We keep records of activities offered as well as which children participated and which did not. Six months ago, we extended the opening hours of our Kid’s Club to 9 pm and put on a daily film from 7 pm. Any children over the age of 4 may join and watch these films under the supervision of our colleagues, while their parents enjoy a quiet dinner. This complimentary service has proved popular so far and you might have the impression that we do this all day long. Rest assured that watching television is our “default activity” at the Kid’s Club

I understand that no amount of explanation will change the fact that you feel disappointed; our intention is to provide our guests with memorable holiday experiences that they will cherish, and ultimately to encourage those guests to return to stay with us again in the future.

My sincere apologies that we have not met your expectations, and thank you again for your feedback. We will use it to achieve improvements in the areas you have highlighted

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolifushi Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Vihamanafushi
Baros Maldives
Baros Maldives
#1 of 1 in Baros Island

Been to Jumeirah Vittaveli? Share your experiences!