“Good local alternative”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Ocala, Florida
“Good local alternative”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

A friend tipped me off to this place. He said he went there for Sunday brunch and really liked it. My wife and I spend several months in Ponce Inlet and have tried all of the other restaurants, some of which are quite good. Tonight we decided to try something new, The Harbour Village Pub. We followed the instructions for gate access to the community that were helpfully provided in an earlier review and found the pub without any problem.
The pub is decorated in kind of a nautical modern, sports bar motif. We sat at a high top table, although there are booths as well. It was early on a Thursday evening in the off season, and was quiet. We were there in time for the happy hour - $3 house wines and cheaper draft beers.
I ordered Caesar salad and the catch of the day, broiled, which was a snapper. My wife ordered Caesar salad and the fish and chips. Drinks came, salads came and then the main courses came, all right on schedule. My fish was fresh, well seasoned and perfectly cooked. I got a large piece of fish and a large portion of slaw. My wife's fish was haddock and was very good. She said the fries were way overlooked.
This is a casual restaurant that's off the beaten path, and because of the gated entry, I suspect that many people are discouraged. I certainly would have tried it before now if the access was easier. That said, I encourage others to give it a try. The food is good and reasonable, the service is excellent, it's clean and well managed. Oh, and they have a British beer on draft.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank OcalaTraveler2011

Port Orange, Florida
“Not pre-packaged”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The Pub has been under new ownership for almost 2 years now, and the new owner has made vast improvements to what was there. The fish is bought locally, fresh, and is not frozen. The sauces and such are made in house, not "canned"or "pre packaged"
The fish and chips are probably the best in the area, a good fresh large haddock filet with a light batter. Onion rings are wonderful - hand made and light - New England style. If you go for the fries, they also are hand cut - not frozen. Prime rib is slow roasted and seasoned very well. I've tried the burgers, and they are I believe 1/3 pound hand pattied cooked to order. The last time we were there, I tried the new Bada Bing Shrimp - large fried shrimp with a nicely spiced aioli. Well done. It is always refreshing to find a place where the owner has a knowledge of food (he is a former chef from England), and is hands on when it comes to running the place. Prices are good, and the portions are as well. There is always a fresh fish selection available. Definitely on top of what there is in Ponce Inlet.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Steve V
Ponce Inlet, Florida
“Harbor Village Pub/Grill”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Basic food that seems to be pre-packaged. Sauces on pasta appear to be canned. Wait staff tries hard to please. Wouldn't take much to upgrade the quality of fish and pasta dishes.

Visited February 2014
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Nice”
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Live in ponce inlet, like John, love the food and the service is ok ! The person for the association that said it's not open to the public is probably trying to ruin the business ! It's open and I'm sure you are welcome!

3 Thank Albert S
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Best Fish and Chips!”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We love the Pub! We've been going just about every Friday night since the new manager took over and have brought many friends to eat there. John has introduced some British flair and we particularly love the Fried Haddock and the hand cut fries. Also like the fish or shimp tacos and the Reuben sandwich. My sister-in-law swears by the Cheeseburger and mashed potatoes. The wine selection has just been upgraded. Friendly atmosphere with view of pool and marina.

• Visited May 2013