“Bespoke - more like betrayed”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Worplesdon Place

Worplesdon Place
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Worplesdon
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Bespoke - more like betrayed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We booked this hotel through the daily mail having read their write up. The write up included the sentence "you'll find the perfect getaway". I am afraid this was not the case. First impressions are very important. The glass in in the entrance doors was smeared and dirty. On entering we found a drab unwelcoming reception area. The carpets were worn and had not been vacuumed. The main stairway to the bedrooms was dirty with spillage. Thankfully the bedroom we had was clean as was bed linen and bed comfortable. However the nets at the windows were ripped and window fastenings were broken so could not put window on latch. Water was nice and hot as was the water from the cold tap! We stayed two nights and in that time did not see the carpets/floors being vacuumed. In the dining room there was food on the floor which had obviously been dropped the night before (or had perhaps been there even longer). Again all the windows needed a good clean.

On the positive side all the staff were very courteous and helpful and the meals were well presented and tasted good.

I certainly would not recommend this hotel in its present state. I realise that refurbishment is taking place but this doesn't excuse grubby carpets and floors. I think if there ought to be signage explaining that the hotel was undergoing refurbishment and apologies for any disruption. I am sure that if this was addressed and entrance ways cleaned and made to look inviting people would be more inclined to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jacqueline L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Verwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I booked 2 weeks ahead to meet 15 people for Sunday Lunch last week. The Receptionist was very helpful with my inquiry, each time i had to speak to her she helped me further. On the day they had a small room for us as we we a group of adults , for my birthday. The Food was Hot ,( we all chose a Sunday Roast). The portions were generous and the food came on time. They were very busy and under those circumstances coped well with a large table of people.
This was the first time i have eaten here since it was taken over ( It is NO LONGER a Beefeater).. Hooray ! . In my opinion i think it is more professional, the food more interesting & the Staff certainly better trained. I hope this stays this way as i would certainly return. I have not stayed in the Hotel but, i think it is in a lovely setting by a lake. I do hope they keep it a Little more up market than it used to be , it certainly is worth a visit . It does accommodate families, from a personal opinion , i hope they develop a family eating area for more lively children and that it remains now as it is a little more up market than it used to be. Thank you for a good lunch.

Room Tip: Although i didn't stay there there might be a view if the Lake...... (Also as i couldn't fi...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sheena O
Simon B, General Manager at Worplesdon Place, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We certainly are trying to obtain a higher standard day by day, and hopefully you will be our guest again soon.
With regards
Simon
Plymouth, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed here for one night on a Valentines Day special Dinner B&B. The rate was a good deal and the building rom the outside looks great and set in nice grounds, I'm afraid, however, that's where the good things ended. On arrival the initial impression was disappointing with worn carpets that were in desperate need of a hoover. there is no lift, which isn't a problem, however, we weren't offered any assistance with our luggage. We had booked a superior room which proved to be quite large, however, very spartan in Décor and in need of some TLC, the bathroom was far from superior, tiny and old with an undersize bath and no surfaces for placing any items on. Still the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The rooms and public spaces felt very much like a Premier Inn, maybe it used to be one, but not as well looked after as most Premier Inn's I have stayed at.

Unfortunately Valentines dinner was a bit of a disaster. The food was sadly not all that good, despite a promising looking menu and the service was a real shambles. Wrong orders coming out, items missing, different staff trying to take the same order twice, food coming out in the wrong order to the wrong tables etc. The staff, whilst friendly, did not seem to have had any training at all. There seemed to be no table system and they clearly did not know how to serve food or wine properly. We were given a wine bucket but it was faulty and leaked all over the table. There was supposed to be a glass of sparkling wine as an aperitif, however it didn't arrive. We questioned this and eventually half way through the main course, after we were already drinking a bottle we had ordered separately, one glass of Prosecco turned up. When I asked why there was only one glass the girl apologised and disappeared. A long time later a waiter turned up and deposited two glasses of Lambrusco or similar on our table, announcing our Prosecco ! All very disorganised but it made for an entertaining evening and a good laugh for all the guests, having similar experiences, who couldn't quite believe what was going on.

I'm afraid breakfast wasn't much better and once again the guests had to develop a sort of Blitz spirit as the Hotel was so disorganised. No plates or bowls or Tea cups out at the self service area, breads not replenished, some basics like marmalade not available, cutlery missing and tables not cleared in the dining room. The staff were aware they were not coping but they did remain friendly and shared the joke. To be fair the manageress, when we checked out, knew things had not been right. Our bill was missing a bottle of wine we had ordered the previous night at dinner and when I pointed this out she decided not to charge us for it by way of compensation which I thought was good of her.

Overall, sad to say that despite the lovely building and setting, I couldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Idan60
Dear Sir
I am sorry to hear about your recent visit to us. This was unfortunately before my arrival a couple of weeks ago. A lot of your concerns have already been dealt with as regards training of the team. We also have a new head chef in place. You are correct. We did used to be a Premier inn, and we are currently carrying out refurbishment of a large amount of the rooms, whilst using old Premier Inn rooms. Hopefully you will try us again in the future when all the works are completed.
With regards
Simon

Travellers are raving about these Worplesdon hotels

Marbella, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Needing a base in Surrey for a week or so, I scouted the online reviews and thought Worplesdon Place was worthy of a visit; this proved to be a sound decision. I was shown to a recently renovated room which would command a much higher rack rate at competing establishments. As my stay developed, I appreciated more keenly the general ambience of the property; the consistently high quality of both food and beverage (at reasonable prices); and especially the unfailing courtesy and cheerfulness of the staff. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and look forward to my next stay in what I recommend highly as a value-for-money gem.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Sir
Thankyou for your kind review. I have recently taken over and I would admit that we have still got work to do. We are certainly heading in the right direction.
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We recently had a group conference at this hotel for a day. We were given a quiet, pleasant room with tables and chairs already laid for the meal. Tea/coffee and cakes were plentiful and of good quality. The meal was served on time by quality staff and with good food. The staff could not do enough for us which was very pleasing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nigel W
Amac1red, General Manager at Worplesdon Place, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for your review and the staff and I are very pleased you had a good time.
Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

After reading the mostly negative reviews for the hotel I was aprahensive about my stay. However I was pleasantly surprised.
Whilst checking in, the young lady (didn't catch her name) told me that I had been upgraded to a newly renovated superior room. The room was spotless and we'll decorated with a nice view or the area. The bathroom, despite having no bath, was amazing with a very powerful shower, better than I have at home!
I stayed for two nights, and on both evenings I ate at the restaurant. The first night was very quite but the food was served quickly and my steak was cooked perfectly. Sadie, my waitress was very welcoming and professional. The second night was unfortunately not the same experience, the food took a long time to be served and appeared to be a little rushed, although it tasted fine.
Overall I will definately stay here again when working in Guildford, the service was second to none.
Quick tip, make sure to ask for "room 4" when you book, I have heard other rooms aren't quite up to its standard!

• Stayed January 2014
5 Thank RichardWGrainger
Amac1red, General Manager at Worplesdon Place, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Guildford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Sunday 12/1/14 Arrived for dinner at 8pm, only 1 of 4 draught bitters available for our beer drinking guest and that was an unpopular 'winter' brew. An acceptable bottle of wine was ruined by being overchilled. Atmosphere was dismissal, service unenthusiastic and our table was 'sticky'. The food was no better, an undercooked, tough and tasteless lamb shank: chewy belly of pork: carrots and undercooked peas not very imaginative vegetables. The only high point was a well cooked sirloin steak. This is the first time we have been able to visit since it's change of ownership but it will be the last. Shame as it is within walking distance of home.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sue k
Obviously I am very disappointed to read of your experience and I have taken on board your comments. We do have a new Head Chef starting in a few weeks time and with regards to the Beer we only have three hand pulls and the over whelming majority of time we have all three on
Also consider these accommodations in or near Worplesdon
Asperion Hillside Hotel
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#11 of 11 in Guildford
Premier Inn Guildford North (A3) Hotel

Been to Worplesdon Place? Share your experiences!