“Afternoon Tea”
Review of Worplesdon Place

Worplesdon Place
Reserve with OpenTable
Worplesdon Place is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Worplesdon
Price range: US$5 - US$26
Cuisines: Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Just been to this place for afternoon from a birthday present with my daughter - not impressed. Booked for 3pm as said could not go any earlier. When arrived was greeted by "your early aren't you" I do not see the problem as we could have been asked if we would like to sit until our table is ready. Then the receptionist said Ive just finished your table would you like to sit. We were offered two tables just for 2 people both next to a wall with no view on one of the hottest days of the year when there was a veranda we could have sat at - not offered . We were the first to sit then other people came in three women together who sat at a table for 4 then two more people came in and were sat at a table for 4 by the window,m we were not offered this at all.

Drinks came first never asked if we wished for water then sandwiches and cakes. The plate tower which they were served on rocked back and forward. Sandwiched were fine Scones very dry and quite hard no butter offered, cake size were very very small. I asked for water and we were brought one glass but there was two of us.

I was not impressed at all with the service or the way the staff were dressed.

This is my personal opinion only. I have been to quite a few afternoon tea's and I can honestly say that not one beats the Talbot in Ripley theirs is what you call an afternoon tea.

DOXFORDS, Manager at Worplesdon Place, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2018

Dear March1951

Thank you for your feedback and review and for all of your points which will be taken on board. Our afternoon tea is served within the restaurant as this is the area where we offer table service. Outside is as an area whereby people order at the bar so we don't mix or confuse the 2. The staff uniform is set for the style of venue with jeans, white shirt, apron and shoes which is the hot weather we allow people to wear tailored shorts and I am sorry you felt this unimpressive for our venue.

Our afternoon tea has been consistently delivered to the same standard and at times does get indifferent reviews but this is dependant on expectations of customers. If we are being compared to a venue such as The Talbot then I do appreciate we may not fair well but the price we charge is considerably less and we feel it still offers good value for money.

Once again, I am sorry you did not enjoy your tea and I do hope we see you in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

Took my Dad for lunch here on a Monday, very quiet. Ordered drinks, had to wait awhile for them, as only one staff member on the bar, we ordered starters and main course. Waited 20 minutes for starters. My Dad and I had the liver and bacon, very nice, but it came in a bowl! My 89year old Dad found it difficult to cut up his food in this, why can't it come on a plate! There was lots of gravy, but a gravy boat would have been better. The drinks are overpriced, which made the meal seem expensive. A g&t was £6.50 a double £9.50! Even for Surrey this is excessive! So the bill for four of us was nearly £100. We didn't have desserts as we were to full, just as well or that would have added another £25 to bill.wont go again, can get the same for less money elsewhere.

DOXFORDS, Manager at Worplesdon Place, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

dear adamsfamily2016

Thank you for your review and feedback regarding your recent visit to Worplesdon Place. I am sorry you did not like the plate presentation of feel it appropriate but for future visits we would be more than happy to use a plate of your preference. We do offer different meals on different plate ware as based upon what we feel most suitable. If we get this wrong or its not right for you please just mention it and we can change that in seconds.

We do regularly match our pricing vs like for like competitors and do find that we are competitive albeit spirits are among the most expensive across all venues. An example of this is with one of our closest competitors where a standard gin and tonic is £7.95. We do believe in offering value for money and whilst we feel a 2 course lunch with alcohol may provide value at £25 per head we will as always continue to monitor our pricing to remain one of the most competitive venues in the area offering great value for money.

I do hope we get to see you again in Worplesdon Place in the near future.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 18 June 2018

Went to Worplesdon Place for a Father’s Day dinner. When it came to pay I was told they do not accept £50 notes. No prior warning. For a hotel and expensive restaurant to not accept currency of the realm is an absolute disgrace. The manager said she was not allowed to buy a pen to check banknotes to see if they were real. She said if she accepted the note and it was fake then the waitress would have it docked from her wages. I have never experienced anything like this before and was made to feel like a criminal. I said prior notification of non acceptance of £50 notes would have been useful but it turns out the only notification is to staff. Although £50 notes are legal tender, the worplesdon place does not accept them. I for one will not be rushing back. By the way the roast beef was full of gristle

Dear Robjackman

Thank you for your review and feedback. As a company and due to a vast number of forgeries we have taken the decision to not accept £50 notes which whilst it is legal currency we are under no legal obligation to accept. We do also have a note at each till point making guests aware of this but I apologise is these were not clear upon your entry in the venue. I am however very shocked to hear about the beef as we use some of the finest beef in Surrey and the quality is incredible.

I hope we do see you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 June 2018

Guest at a wedding at worplesdon Place, from the moment we arrived to check into our hotel room we were greeted by a smile and really good customer service from a young guy called Oli. We were shown to our room and assisted with our luggage.

The set up and organisation for the wedding had clearly been done very well by the venue. The food was amazing and beautifully presented. The gardens were well kept and generally the staff were really attentive all day and appeared to work very hard going that extra mile to make sure all guests were happy and well looked after.

We will definitely be recommending this venue to some friends who are looking for a wedding venue for 2019 and we are now considering it for a birthday party and Christmas party later in the year.

Well done to everyone especially the staff in attendance on the day.

Dear nikkiandterencecole

Thank you for your lovely review and feedback and especially your comments relating to Oli.Oli is a manager that leads from the front and sets the very best examples for others to follow and deserves all the praise he gets.

Your review has meant so much to so many as we pride ourselves on delivering great events and Mark and the kitchen staff provide wonderful food so its always great when their hard work gets a mention.

Lastly, just huge congratulations from us all here at Worplesdon Place, we wish you a magical future together and make sure you come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2018

Walked into this pub/restaurant and was immediately dismayed.
The building and gardens as you walk up to the place are absolutely delightful - but that's where the positive experience ends:
Loud and lairy atmosphere with hardly any staff - one to be precise - to serve a long queue of people waiting to order food.
The one barman actually serving was evidently in no hurry and insisted on talking to people that he obviously new for endless minutes on end.
Eventually, after twenty odd minutes of waiting we decided to give up and go elsewhere - and we weren't the only ones..
Total chaos and and experience that we will not be repeating - Avoid this place if you can.

2  Thank nick c

Dear nick c

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that you felt you had to leave. In all my time at Worplesdon Place I have not known of any guest waiting 20 minutes before being served so I can only apologise at these 1 off incident. We do believe in serving those in front of us with professionalism which means service cannot be rushed and we will always serve to the quickest of our abilities albeit we are one of the busiest venues in Surrey, do staff accordingly and prioritise ensuring all guests have a wonderful and relaxed visit to Worplesdon Place.

i do hope you come back for an improved experience.

Warmest regards