“Disappointing after all the biased reviews”

Asperion Hillside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Worplesdon
Reviewed 13 April 2013

My wife and I were looking for a couple of nights of away together time. I was about to book an alternative hotel with Spa and swimming pool facilities a few miles away but noticed the rave reviews about this hotel. Although it had no relaxation facilities, I decided that the reported happy family run atmosphere and excellent rooms was worth the sacrifice. On arrival, my first impression was that I first noticed the doorstep was desperately in need of a touch up but I ignored that. We were greeted and shown to our room by a lady who although pleasant, was not overly welcoming as had been stated in the reviews. Basically, she did her job and nothing more! No friendly questions like where we had travelled from or why we were visiting etc. The place was dead except for a man sitting in the lounge that we presumed was another guest. I said hello but barely got so much as a shrug back from him. I later saw him sat in the reception playing with his smart phone then realised either he was an owner or was keeping his partner, a member of staff company. Again, if he is going to hang around he needs to learn some basic manners and pleasantries!
We had planned to eat that night in the hotels restaurant and advised her so but after look inside it, although tidy, it looked more like an atmosphere-less café. Nothing on the walls except brick effect wallpaper, so decided to eat out instead. Luckily we came across a fantastic pub/Thai restaurant so ate there both evenings instead.
Opening the room door, we were surprised to find how small and cramped it was, especially as we had paid for a deluxe double. A king size bed doesn’t make it deluxe!
The wardrobe was cheaply purpose made out of MDF, the bathroom door had been hand painted grey and the paint had flaked off. The window frame in the bathroom was also in need of some TLC. I knew I had made a mistake booking this there and then and was annoyed about the previous reviews that had influenced my choosing it. I would describe it as the typical B&B that workmen stay in during the week when away from home, nothing more!
That night and for the next 2 days we were disturbed by seriously creaky floorboards in the hall and stairs and we were both woken ever time the people directly above us got up during the night to use the toilet. I considered banging on the ceiling but realised it was not their fault. Presumably chipboard sheets instead of proper floorboards. It honestly sounded like they were going to come through the ceiling. We came home very tired, the opposite of what we intended.
Breakfast was the most raved about on the reviews and to be fair, it was cooked very well and I enjoyed it, as did my wife. The second morning I fancied cereal but as there was only a choice of 3 and none I liked, I had to have the cooked breakfast again, not a problem but my wife didn’t want eggs two days running and also didn’t like the choice of cereals so made do with toast and jam. Good breakfast but you really need to expand the options!
To conclude, if I had just booked this hotel on the off chance, I would have said that apart from the creaky floors that disturbed our sleep, it was ‘Okay’ but I wouldn’t book it again and I wouldn’t have even bothered writing a review. But as I specifically booked this stay to treat my wife to a couple of days away due of the seriously biased reviews about how wonderful it was, I have to write this to balance it out as I can only presume that they were written by eco-friendly organic-loving hippy types that were blinded by the ‘everything organic’ tags. I couldn’t care less if was all Genetically Modified so long as everything else was better!
On the plus side to prove I am neither biased or just a winger, the bath was a great size, the towel rail heated 24/7 and the amount and pressure of hot water was brilliant.
Yes, I do expect the owners to respond with comments about why I must be over fussy as so many others loved it but I have roughed it around Europe in the past and even slept in a door way in Athens, so I accept what I have pay for. If I pay for 1 star, I will be content with 1 star, but I have stayed in 4 stars plus previously and this hotel has nothing on them! Sorry!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank benmaye
Jacimostert, General Manager at Asperion Hillside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We are, quite honestly astonished to read your comments as we feel that they do not accurately reflect our establishment and what the majority of our guests would say.

We take pride in providing a clean, comfortable although minimalist in decor, friendly environment in which our guests can relax. Our staff are passionate about what they do and we always try to go the extra distance to meet our guests' expectations.

Since our inception, we have been awarded numerous awards from recognized authorities, such as the AA Dinner Award, 4 Star Gold AA Rating, TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, and Green Tourism Gold Certificate. These are not just accolades to us, but represent our ethos as well as our company policy.

We are surprised that you did not find our breakfast satisfactory for your requirements, we do offer a selection of alternative spreads such as Marmite, Nutella, maple syrup, peanut butter and honey; our breakfast cooks are always willing to accommodate guests who request alternative ingredients for their cooked breakfast.

We are genuinely sorry that you did not bringing any issues to our attention during your stay, as we would have been more than happy to address them immediately. However, as an open-minded company, we are constantly willing to improve our service and strive for excellence. We will therefore take your comments on board, and we hope you will reconsider coming and staying with us on another occasion.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

I stayed two nights at this lovely small hotel. Staff were helpful and polite. My room overlooked the garden on the ground floor. I was a little worried about reviews mentioning creaking floor boards but this was minimal and Ive had far worse problems with noise in large hotels which run functions. I slept well and the bed linen was high quality cotton. It was nice to have a selection of teas coffee and hot chocolate and mineral water in the room. The bathroom were missing the shampoo, shower gel and soap but this was swiftly corrected when I pointed it out to the receptionist. Towels were thick and fluffy and room / bathroom beautifully clean. Only negatives were the paint work around the skirting in bathroom - this was showing signs of wear and tear and loo flush was very stiff. The food was excellent and breakfast served very promptly and cooked to order. I invited friends to join me for supper on the second evening and the food was fantastic - we had fillet steak which was served on a hot rock. The food was beautifully presented and was the best steak I had had in years. The honesty bar was great and it was lovely to help ourselves to a drink before supper and to have coffees and a chat afterwards. I will certainly stay here again and hope that all these positive reviews will not mean I will not be able to get a room.

Room Tip: I stayed in a deluxe room overlooking the garden. I was told the only real difference between standa...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Jacimostert, General Manager at Asperion Hillside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Asperion Hillside on the occasion of your recent stay in Guildford, and for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, appreciated our delicious organic breakfast and that you found our property to be comfortable.

We always go the extra mile to deliver the best possible service to our guests and are delighted that you found our staff to be helpful and polite.

As we are a green hotel, we pride ourselves on using organic and locally sourced ingredients for all our meals. We are glad that you appreciate our food both at breakfast and our diners, and are pleased that you enjoyed the bar and lounge area.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Asperion Hillside on your next trip to Guildford.

Thank you again for taking the time out to provide us with your feedback.

Best regards

Reviewed 20 February 2013

Nice room, a few (old) stains on carpet but very clean otherwise. Huge, very comfortable four poster bed, nice linens. Slept very well, no noise. Good size bathroom but a few problems that let it down; the shower was disappointing, not enough power, the toilet flush was very stiff, the soap holder is very loose/hanging off the wall and the fittings in general could all use a good shine up. Nice touch with complimentary bottled water and mini Green & Black chocolate bars. Very pleasant breakfast room with lovely view of garden. Good breakfast, quality ingredients, served up quickly. Good coffee. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Four poster room facing garden nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Jacimostert, General Manager at Asperion Hillside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your comments about the restaurant and are pleased that you found the food to be of a high standard. At the Asperion Hillside, we use organic and locally sourced ingredients whenever possible, and the food is made with passion and dedication.

Thank you for your positive feedback about our the four poster room. While the public areas are nearing completion in their refurbishment, we are still in the process of renovating certain aspects of the bedrooms and bathrooms.

We do hope, that should the opportunity arise in the future, you will choose to stay at the Asperion Hillside again.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

We booked at the Asperion for a short, relaxing winter break and the place delivered it.

It is a warm and friendly home from home and if I was in the area on business I wouldn't hesitate to book here. We booked a room with a four poster bed which is the most massive bed I have ever slept in. Room was clean and well presented and again iron and ironing board in the wardrobe would be a great help on a business trip.

We arrived late (as we had advised) but just as the restaurant was finishing but it appeared to be no problem to provide just a small snack. The second night we ate in the restaurant and it was to a very high standard as were the breakfasts. We stayed Wednesday & Thursday so the restaurant was available, we were prepared for an adventure on the Friday as the restaurant isn't open over the weekend.

The weather became extreme and we were forced to check out a day early in order to get home safely. As obviously disappointing as this would have been to the hotel, they were very understanding and immediately said they would not charge for the cancellation.

This isn't a big luxury hotel but it is a good sized, well run warm and friendly hotel.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Jacimostert, General Manager at Asperion Hillside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you found the Asperion Hillside a warm and friendly home away from home which is suitable to both leisure and business pursuits.

It was a pity that you were not able to stay the duration due to the unforeseen extreme weather. We do however hope, that should the opportunity arise in the future, you will choose to stay at the Asperion Hillside again.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

My husband & I stayed at this excellent small hotel when in the area for a big family party nearby. staff were very pleasant & efficient. The bedroom & ensuite were immaculately clean, tastefully & comfortably furnished. We asked for a quiet room, overlooking the garden,& that is what we had- it looked as if some rooms may have been larger, but ours was perfectly adequate & those at the front of the house might suffer a little road noise. just depends what you are used to & prefer!
Very good, nicely presented breakfast with good choice,nice to see Fair Trade products & locally sourced food used.The Dining Room overlooking the garden was pleasant & again everything was sparklingly clean- mirrors, glasses, cruet, tableware & cutlery. The Sideboard buffet was very neatly presented- all little things in themselves, but shows pride in task.
We were a bit sorry not to really have time to use the Sitting Room & use the Honesty Bar, as it looked very inviting.We were interested in the Green Ethos books etc & impressed how this can be incorporated into the Hotel setting, where more easy ideas can be shared with clients .It is also true to say that this ethos was what attracted us to Hillside & we would be pleased to reccommend this hotel to others.If we are in the area again, we would love to return.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking garden likely to be quieter than those at the front.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Jacimostert, General Manager at Asperion Hillside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you found the staff pleasant and efficient and the premises immaculately clean!

We are also delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast and found it well presented with ample options available. We purchase most of our ingredients from local suppliers and we choose organic options whenever possible. It’s a pleasure for us to see that you appreciated this, as well as our “ethically minded” approach to the hospitality industry.

We do hope to welcome you back soon to the Asperion Hillside.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 24 November 2012

I travelled to Guildford to attend an interview. Asperion was a surpise for me as i really relaxed in this hotel. The room was great and spacy, the staff could not be more polite and fast and the whole atmosphere made me feel like home.
I recommend the hotel for either families couples (specially for couples) and people who want something really different and warmth.
I have stayed in many luxury hotels but this one was different.

Stergios A. Mitoulis

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sergio F
Jacimostert, General Manager at Asperion Hillside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Dear Sergio,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you found your room comfortable and spacious. We are also thrilled that you found our staff friendly, efficient, warm and welcoming. We aim to provide our guests with the warmest welcome, and it's key that you appreciated our effort.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Asperion Hillside whenever you happen to be in the area.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 21 November 2012

Working in Pirbright for a couple of days, I asked a colleague where to stay & they recommended this place, many visitors to our company stay here apparently. Well I wasn't disappointed, the room was very clean & comfortable and I decided to dine in the first evening, the soup and chicken Wellington were both delicious, excellent choice of options for breakfast too. Will definitely be staying again next time I'm in the area.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Jacimostert, General Manager at Asperion Hillside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your positive feedback about our food and about the cleanliness and comfort of your room.

We are sincerely passionate about what we do, and we pride ourselves on offering high-standard service in a homely and friendly environment. I am really glad that you appreciated this.

We hope to welcome you at the Hillside very soon, hopefully the next time you will travel to Pirbright.

Kindest regards,

Jaci

Also consider these accommodations in or near Worplesdon
Asperion
Worplesdon Place
Worplesdon Place
#2 of 2 in Worplesdon
Mandolay Hotel & Conference Centre

Been to Asperion Hillside Hotel? Share your experiences!