“Great Hotel”
Review of Raven Hall Hotel

Raven Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ravenscar
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I was most impressed by this fabulous charming hotel set right on the Cliffside in Ravenscar--I initially booked and they were full but offered me a 3rd story room--but happily when we got there we were upgraded and had a fantastic room with panoramic bay views--it was hot and staff very easily gave a fan to put on in room--I was yet during our two nights stay to see staff not smiling--so professional and thoughtful. The grounds are stunning and food fabulous --nothing was too much bother. The bed we slept in was huge and so comfortable--linen was first class and yet this hotel has 3 stars. The Reason? well yes one can see they are upgrading this historic building to a very high standard and my husband being a builder "saw" what I didn't in the way of windows needing attention etc--but overall I would happily stay again and know that I would enjoy it. There was only a couple of English staff but that was no drawback as these young people looked after my husband and myself as though we were royalty.

Room Tip: ask for sea view or bay view
1  Thank tillycatDurham
diane u, Managing Director at Raven Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

We're delighted your enjoyed your stay and the staff looked after you so well, they are all a friendly team and although there are many different nationalities we do have a good proportion of English staff who all work well together to provide the best customer service. I appreciate your comments about our very old building, which takes constant maintenance and we are updating where possible in keeping with its period charm. We look forward to welcoming you back,

There are newer reviews for Raven Hall Hotel

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Unique situation and beautiful views made this a nice choice. Breakfast was extremely nice and the waiting staff were attentive and very polite.
We were a little surprised to find our room had a fully equipped disabled bathroom and the denture container with lid was a nice touch. Well I'm assuming that is what it was!
Reception staff were less friendly and totally inflexible after we arrived an hour early for check in with a very muddy husband having just finished a cycling event.
All in all not a bad place to stay, just a little dated and the lounges had all the atmosphere of a dentist's waiting room.

Room Tip: Room number 1 has the amazingly equipped disabled bathroom and very easy access to the bar.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

We're pleased you experiecned our outstanding location and were comfortable in the room you stayed in which is our disabled friendly room. The Hotel has been extremely busy over the last few months and apologies you were unable to check in to your room early which we endeavour to help with but it is restricting when there is a busy departure and all rooms have to be made ready and checked by 3.00pm. We were surprised about hte comment on our public rooms which people tend to find charming in keeping with the period of the hotel as the main lounge and bar has retained the original feature wood panelling. The Bay View Lounge is particularly light with stunning views as can be seen on our website photos.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Dropped in twice for elevenses and lunch. Theplace has a fantastic situation, marvellous views, and a great start for walks, quite easy to get to by road.

The service and food were very good and friendly.

The hotel is old and extensive and some parts are in need of refurbishment, but this place is unique.

Will return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a spot on review, it's a great place to drop inf or coffee or lunch with amazing views from the restaurant or gardens. We totally agree it's unique and of course needs constant maintenance and we're in the process of a scheuld of updating. Hope you call in again soon, particularly during ths lovely weather and enjoy a break in the gardens.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend,we had a lovely room with amazing views.We didn't use the restaurant in the evening but had a really good breakfast,had a good choice of local products.The hotel is set in wonderful grounds.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

We're delighted you had a short stay with us and experienced our stunning location and Yorkshire breakfast. Chef does source fresh, local produce as much as possible and we hope your eturn and sample our Evening Dinner in the Panorama Restaurant and enjoy those views again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in July 2014 on a bed and breakfast basis and enjoyed it very much. The room was very comfortable, with en suite bath and shower over and a partial sea view. A slight problem was that there was a nearby exterior fire escape which was lit at night, so the room could not be as dark as I would have liked for sleeping. If these lights cannot be turned off at night, then thicker curtains and/or blinds should be provided. Breakfasts were excellent: plenty of choice and well-cooked, with very efficient service. However, all those reviewers who have criticised the ludicrously small breakfast plates are absolutely right! That said, all the staff I came across were very pleasant and very much on the ball. I also liked the elegant and comfortable lounge which would be magical in winter with the open fire.
The only thing that lets the hotel down is the outdoor leisure facilities. The golf course (which fortunately is free to residents) was very poorly-maintained, especially the greens, and one look at the surface of the putting green outside the main building convinced me to give that a miss. The croquet lawn was similarly uneven. A pity, because the gardens, particularly the roses, were immaculately kept and looked beautiful. I would definitely visit this hotel again, given a similarly-priced package, but will leave the golf clubs at home next time!

Room Tip: For reasons mentioned above, best avoid rooms 118 and 119 if you like complete darkness for sleeping...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for the very fitting title to your review which captures the essence of Raven Hall, which is an old fashioned, period building with some original features within, which we are updating constantly in keeping. I'm sorry the greens were due to be cut during your visit, which the garden team do keep on top of on a regular basis, but we do mention it is only a 9 hole links golf in a challenging location on the clifftop and the 100 acre grounds take a lot of care particularly during this very hot weather! We take on board your other comments and appreciate the positive feedback and hope you'll pay us a return visit.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Unfortunately last night (11/07/14) there was a very 'rowdy' event going on at the hotel which involved screaming, shouting and explicit swearing from 10pm until 2am.

Hotel management only reacted to this loud activity when I called to complain at 12:30am and even then the commotion continued in full force but in the car park (!)

I was reassured by the duty manager that the hotel manager would contact me (12/07/14) to explain why hotel management allowed guests to continue making such excessive noise and offensive swearing.

I never received acknowledgement of my complaint.

When approaching the hotel manager at 3:30pm on 12/07 he offered only excuses that the hotel could not control guests' behaviour which is indeed true but, the hotel allowed this to continue for too long whilst others guests tried to sleep.

Very disappointed with hotel manager's dismissive attitude to us as paying (non-trouble causing) guests and refusal to offer any form of appeasement apart from a fan.

I look forward to corresponding with the hotel's owner.

2  Thank holidaymakers326

I'm sorry to read this review as I have already personally dealt with this over a week ago. Having apologised and resolved the issues raised in an email to me to what I consider a satisfactory conclusion which the reviewer thanked me for, I don't feel there is need for further discussion. We did in fact have an unfortunate incident beyond our control with a couple of wedding guests which resulted in them being removed from the premises andserious action being taken. Apologies were made to the guests who were affected by this by our Hotel Manager, although this guest didn't want an apology but compensation. He in no way intended to be dismissive, but didn't appreciate the mention of a 'review' if no compensation.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Been here a few times over the years. Food is excellent, service excellent. Wi fi is atrocious which is in excusable in 21st century. Stayed in one the lodges, a hidden gem. But you DO need decent weather to enjoy area properly.
Could do with some refurbishment, some parts a bit tired.
Will return.

Room Tip: Check weather and do not rely on wi fi, its dreadful.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravenscar
Raithwaite Estate
#4 of 20 in Whitby
Gisborough Hall Hotel
Gisborough Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Guisborough

Been to Raven Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!