“Food shocking”
Review of The Aberlour Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aberlour
The Aberlour Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Aberlour B&B and Inns
Moray, United Kingdom
“Food shocking”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Didn't like the food, I thought it was cheap & nasty, burger was like a square sausage over cooked.
Fish starter was a rip off, the mixed grill was over cooked too.
We have eaten in this place twice & both times a let down.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I think this hotel suffers from it's location, and it's not fair to fault it for that. However, so that others who cannot sleep with heat or noise, I felt I should provide information regarding our recent stay at the Aberlour Hotel. Aberlour appears to be small quiet town, but it is a apparently on a primary artery for lorries. We arrived at 8 pm after a long day of travel. We were very hungry and tired. We immediately stowed our luggage and came down to dinner. After ordering drinks and our entrees, we were informed of a 45 min -1 hour delay. What do you say? Ok.... ?? Perhaps if we'd complained we would have received free drinks like our neighbors, but we weren't up to it. When food finally arrived, it was great.

The next thing was sleep or the lack of it. We weren't able to sleep due to a loud group watching football until 2 am. We tried shutting the window, but it was too hot. We realized the next day the HEAT was on despite the weather being 17-18 degrees Celsius or about 60-65 F outside. We were able to turn the heat off straightaway, and thought the next night would be better. Unfortunately, the next night, there were a lot of trucks going by and more noise from the bar). Again, tried shutting the windows, but it was still too hot even without the down comforter. The next evening, I called room service to see if the super heated towel bars could be turned off in an attempt to cool off room and be able to shut windows. The bars were too hot to touch. The heated towel bar issue was not resolved by the time we decided it was too late to bother (after midnight). So I didn't sleep very well all three nights there. This put a decided damper on my experience in Aberlour as it is difficult to function without sleep.
Otherwise, the hotel is gorgeous and the restaurant is great. The service and staff seem very pleasant and try to be helpful. The lady who serves breakfast was particularly sweet and nothing was too much for her. If the hotel had air conditioning in order to be able to shut out the noise from the open windows, that would resolve the issue, but it is Scotland and that's not going to happen. I don't see a solution, so if I had to do it over, I'd find a quieter place in another town, as all the hotel and B & Bs cannot avoid similar circumstances.
The only other problem was the shower. If you turn on the water to get it warm before stepping in, you cannot avoid getting sprayed by cold water, so prepare! I don't imagine anyone can step in without first warming the water, so it seems to be a design flaw. Not the hotel's fault but it also puts a damper on the experience. I'm disappointed that 110 pounds a night was not enough for a good night's sleep and feel others might benefit from my experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Perthshire
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We popped in for lunch to try out what is a relatively new eating spot in the area. The hotel has had a very thorough makeover and we only saw the eating area but were disappointed that the decor gave no hint of where we were. We could have been in a small hotel in any town in Europe. A bit soulless in other words.
There were two menus, one of snacks and sandwiches and the other larger meals. Between them they would cater for most tastes but the choices where a bit ordinary and there was nothing that jumped out as being a bit different. Having said that, my husband said his scampi was some of the best ever and was certainly nicely presented with home made chips and salad. My chicken soup was tasty but I would have preferred it to be a lot less gloopy and the accompanying ham sandwich was dull to put it mildly.

Service was friendly, quick and efficient and could not be faulted. Price was very reasonable so our meal did represent good value for money. All just a bit uninspiring.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2014

As others have noted, this hotel has clean rooms, very nice bathrooms, and a friendly, helpful staff. Dinner and breakfast were quite good, even though the dining room is VERY noisy even with just a few folks in it talking in normal voices.

The room assigned was on the third floor (no lifts) which would not be a problem except to get to the room, one had to climb two levels, go down a half a level, then up again... to come to a room facing the main road. And that was very, very noisy!!

Tip: Unless you are a very deep sleeper, make sure your room is in the rear of the hotel. And do your aerobic exercise before you get there because one does need to be in good shape to get to many of the rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms not located facing main road should be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Nice large and well equipped room, good food,cheerful staff, but shame about the noise of the trucks going down the High Street when you have a room at the front. Try the game pie - excellent.

But it was value for money and I'll certainly use it again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Carlisle
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The hotel is located on the main road with a constant flow of hgv vehicles passing, making the noise in the room very noisy. The car park is small and always full, so you have to park on the main road or the next street. Service on an evening was poor as the receptionist was also the waitress so hardly seen whilst in the restaurant. The rooms have been nicely refurbished but far too noisy. There is very good food served at a small local pub called the mash tun, very busy and difficult to get a table but the food was fantastic.

• Stayed June 2014
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

As a environmental consultant my work takes me all over the UK and I need hotels that have good overall facilities. The Aberlour Hotel is centrally based in Aberlour town next to the main square and noisy Co-op next door. On arrival the staff were friendly and professional and rooms were quite nicely refurbished. Unfortunately I was given the 'over the top of the public room' on the first night which was very noisy, so I had to complain and change my room to the top floor which was much quieter for work purposes. On arrival each night, back from work in the field (8pm) the hotel car park as full up, so we had to park on the street. Breakfast in the morning was good with friendly staff and a selection of continental fair. But the evening bar staff 'older gentleman' was quite sullen and unfriendly. Thinking of looking at less noisy bed and breakfasts next time near Dufftown.

Room Tip: Don't choose the room above the public bar unless you go to bed at 12 or are slightly worse for...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberlour
Dowans Hotel