“Worth the visit for the hospitality ”

The Macallan Distillery
Ranked #4 of 10 things to do in Aberlour
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We were driving the area, and detoured in as my friend is a fan of their dram.

We inquired about a tour, only to find you have to book in advance. The staff person, seeing an opportunity, extended great hospitality to us and offered us a complimentary sample. A much welcomed gesture!

Be sure to do your research and book ahead!

1  Thank ThomasAb
Robert I, Manager at The Macallan Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that we weren't able to take you out on our tour when you called in, but delighted that you felt so well looked after. Our team are always encouraged to offer a complimentary taste of The Macallan to anybody who calls by or who we cannot take out on tour so it is great to know this was welcome.

In terms of booking in advance, if our guests contact us in advance we will always recommend that they pre-book as we do limit group sizes to ensure an intimate tour experience, however it isn't always essential.

Should you ever find yourself back in Speyside, please do contact us and we'd be delighted to ensure you have a great tour with us.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Even the non-whiskey-drinkers among us (nobody's perfect after all) enjoyed the tour. Our guide Jodie was extremely knowledgeable and graciously offered to take us for a quick walk around the property even though we had gotten there late. If you drink scotch then you should drink Macallan, and if you drink Macallan then you should visit the distillery at least once in your life.

Thanks for providing your review - I'm thrilled that Jodie looked after you so well and was able to accommodate you on a tour in spite of missing your booked tour.

We do try to be as flexible as we can in order to look after as many guests as possible so it is great to know this is appreciated! We all absolutely agree with your sentiments on drinking The Macallan as well!

Thank you again for taking the time to provide a review!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our tour of Macallan's was very nice. The guide, Roy, was very knowledgeable and did a great job. We never felt rushed even though we were the last tour of the day. In fact, during the tasting, our group of 7 was encouraged to take our time and enjoy the different flavors. The staff was great too. They called a local taxi for us and even made dinner reservations for us at a local pub after realizing we didn't have dinner plans...most thoughtful. I would highly recommend this distillery for a tour and especially a taste!

Robert I, Manager at The Macallan Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I'm so pleased that you felt so well looked after by Roy and the team - we always pride ourselves on making sure that nobody feels rushed through their visit regardless of the time of day.

I hope that you enjoyed your recommended dinner locally as well! Please do visit us again if you are ever in the Speyside area.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

It was the day after the company do when our 20-something tour guide took us around. He admitted that it was a big night, but that didn't dampen his enthusiasm or delivery: it was top notch and he was evidently proud to work at Macallan.

I went on two tours and this one was definitely better when it came to the manufacturing process. It wasn't quite so strong on the tasting side, although the whiskies we had were extremely good and included a couple of 18-year olds.

The only thing that most of the distilleries lack is somewhere for the whisky widows/widowers to wait in the form of a cafe or tea room. Seems like most are missing a trick here.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review - all our feedback is very much encouraged and appreciated. I'm glad that in spite of our Summer Dance the evening before your tour, that you still felt well looked after. I've passed on your feedback to Roy and he is thrilled!

I'd be very interested to know how you feel that the tasting could be improved - whether you feel it should be by including other expressions of The Macallan or perhaps the guidance through the drams wasn't as strong as it could have been. I do believe that the range of whiskies we offer gives a broad introduction to the Macallan collections and by currnetly offering two 18 year old whiskies plus two other expressions that we offer good value for money alongside a very in depth tour of around two hours. That said I do absolutely accept that some of our guests may be looking for something different and if asked, we will try to acommodate where we possibly can.

With regards to a coffee/tea room, when we undertake our distillery expansion, starting at the end of this year, we will most definitely have this type of offering for our visitors along with other areas for exploration to enusre everybody is included. I do appreciate that this is a couple of years down the line, but I very much hope that you will be able to join us in 2017 once we are open and see the difference in our offering.

Thank you again for your review, it is appreciated and please do let me know if you wish to provide further feedback.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We decided to visit this distillery after many people recommended to try it as it is a very good Whisky. We arrived without a reservation and we were able to join the tour without problem (although is better to have a reservation). The distillery was not in operation but Roy, the tour guide, took us through all the process of preparing the Whisky. At the end we were able to try 5 samples. The price was right for what we saw in 1.5 hrs and Roy was knowledgable and friendly. Beautiful grounds and they even have a couple of Highland cows!

Thank you so much for visiting us at The Macallan and of course, for your positive review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, particularly during our 'silent season'. Your comments have been passed along to Roy and he was thrilled!

Should you ever find yourself back on Speyside, please do call in to see us again - a pleasure to see familiar faces!