“Itison deal”
Review of Radstone Hotel

Radstone Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larkhall
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Just returned today from an overnight stay on a deal which was £69 to include B&B plus a bottle of wine in room & £30 towards resteraunt
On arrival we checked in with ease but were told our room wasn't ready yet This was at 3pm & deal stated checking was from 2 Not really a problem as we sat in the bar and had a drink Hubby returned from the bar with the news that a school prom was to take place that night !! Well what a night it turned out to be The school in question was St Aidens High school from Wishaw & it was the teachers & classmates of Nicholas McDonald the young boy from Scotland who was a finalist on X factor on the night of the final !!! ( had he not been on the show then he should have been there to celebrate with his friends ) what can I say ? These kids were a credit to both the school & their parents They were immaculate dressed in their evening wear & after the meal & speeches more than 160 pupils & teachers all converged on the foyer to hear the results of the show Not the result they would have liked but they were gracious in defeat & clapped & cheered the winner Sam A teacher came over & appologised about disturbing our quiet night out ( offered to buy ud a drink which we refused ) & told us we were welcome to join them on the dance floor or use the photo booth they had set up We explained that we were enjoying watching these young folks enjoying their special night out & maybe if they hadn't been there it could have been a long quiet night as there didn't appear to be many other guests staying in hotel
Back however to my review of the actual hotel
We were happy with our room on first impressions & went for dinner in the Ash grill resteraunt We ate from the festive fare menu & we were both pleased with all 3 courses we had After dinner we retired to the foyer & had cocktails which were also lovely and well made
Now to the not so good comments On going to bed we both felt that the mattress was very firm & we were rolling into the middle of the bed Also the chunky wooden bed frame creaked loudly everytime one of us moved !! This resulted in neither of us having a good nights sleep ( we could also hear the bed in the room above us creaking too )
The bathroom looks lovely but is not very practical with no where to put anything down Trying to take medication was difficult with juggling boxes of pills , holding thin plastic cups of water etc We also noticed a lot ob brown / black mould around the back of the showr where the walls & tray meet Very off putting
I wanted to fill out the customer comments form but when I opened it I found it had been filled out by the previous nights guests !! ( not very confidential as this included their full name address & phone numbers)
These problems for me could be easily remedied by replacing squeaky beds with a solid divan / softer mattress & more pillows available
Would I stay again ?? I'm still unsure as for me a decent nights sleep is one of the main points I look for in a night away Sorry !!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dougaldog

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a dinner, bed & breakfast deal for my partners birthday and after reading reviews on trip advisor I settled on this hotel as it seemed to have the best reviews. Check in was fast and efficient, the receptionist asked for the voucher, which I only had on my iPhone. She was happy for me to email her a copy and explained how the deal worked. We were allocated room 7 which was comfortable. Room was clean and tastefully decorated with a modern bathroom. Wine was waiting in out room. I had just finished work and so hadn't eaten in preparation for our birthday meal. We arrived at the restaurant for dinner and after browsing the menu decided to order from the festive menu as it seemed appropriate for this time of year. My parter ordered soup and I ordered mushrooms as a starter. I tried the soup which was nice but my mushrooms arrived cold, not a major gripe for me as I do not enjoy my food piping hot anyway. My partner enjoyed the soup and the mushrooms were ok. For main I ordered baked aubergine and he ordered Turkey. Baring in mind the restaurant wasn't busy, maybe around 8 diners including us the food arrived in quick succession. Que major disappointment, my aubergine dish was so dry, over cooked and tasteless it was barely edible. I attempted half but it was too much and I gave up and ate the side salad. The Turkey was also quite tough and dry although he enjoyed the sauce. When our server asked had we enjoyed I explained politely that I was a little disappointed with our mains and the reasons why. On return she explained that chef had offered complimentary desert but I declined as by this point I felt the meal had been ruined. We retired to the bar and enjoyed a cocktail and another drink in pleasant surroundings and staff seemed pleasant. After this we decided to head back to our room and enjoy our wine. One small complaint is the wooden bed frame, so bulky that we both banged our feet and legs continuously against. So it was time to catch some rest after a hard day at work, slightly hungry from our poor dinner. Sadly weather wise it was raining heavy with high winds and at 3:30am we were awoken by a constant flow of water from the overflow outside of our room which was pouring rather loudly onto the stones below our window. It was so loud that it prevented us from sleeping any further. We spent the night watching tv and chatting before experiencing a power cut at around 6:30 where we were plunged into darkness for around half an hour. On reporting though this was fixed and not really the hotels fault, just rather unfortunate. So an early breakfast it was which I must say was rather delicious baring in mind our lack of nutritional intake the evening before. It was fresh, warm and plentiful. We left early at 9am and check out went smoothly, I again explained my disappointment with dinner to which I was advised would be passed on. She seemed genuinely disappointed for us as I explained the occasion was my partners birthday. I must say though that the hotel itself is lovely, nice rooms and very nice public areas. So nice that had the food not let me down I would have enquired further about having it as a potential venue for our wedding. It may have been a bad night to dine but all the same it was a special occasion for which I had chosen the venue and felt a little responsible. I have tried to be as open, honest and fair in my reflection as I possibly can.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dru1984
Reviewed 10 December 2013

It is the second time I have stayed at the hotel, where the Scottish Motorcycle Club hold their dinner dance . I really enjoyed my stay, as the rooms are very comfortable, service friendly and welcoming and restaurant service good food, although I did not have time to use all the hotel's facilities.

I left my pyjamas in the room when checking out, contacted the hotel, they were located and returned to me.

Thanks again, will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Robert K, Owner at Radstone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Five star review.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Shawlands Park Hotel. Feedback is most important to us it’s great to read such a fantastic review. Very glad to hear that the service you experienced was excellent.

Hope to see you back in the future,

Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

6 of us stayed here for our annual get together and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
I saw a itison deal but it was not available for the night we wanted (weekend) but Debbie in reception got us a fantastic dinner bed breakfast deal.
When we arrived we decided to upgrade to the Xmas party night and it was brilliant. The band were amazing food was excellent and service was great. Sorry didn't get girls name who was serving us but she was lovely chatting to us rather that just serving our food.

A special thanks to the night guys, again sorry didn't get your names, for the help they gave me on Sunday morning and Rachael, thanks for the lovely welcome, smiling face and banter when we arrived as well as your offers of help in my hour of need on Sunday morning. It was so nice to feel I was not just another guest.
Didn't have a problem with anything during our stay and have to praise everyone from housekeeping (ghost stories lol !!) to breakfast it was an very enjoyable stay and hope to be back really soon.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for leaving such a great review of your recent stay at Shawlands Park Hotel.

So nice to read such great feedback, I am delighted to hear how you enjoyed the Christmas Party Night. The team at Shawlands really appreciate your kind words and we can't wait to have you back again soon!!

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I had heard great things about the restaurant so we used the hotel as a central place to meet up with a friend over from the USA for a few days. It was a sixty mile drive but an ideal central point for each of us.

During our three and a half hour visit we had coffee in the foyer and a meal in the restaurant. The hotel space and ambience was relaxing, clean and spacious. The food was excellent. We all agreed the tastes were lovely, however we did wait a long time between ordering and food arriving.

The service was very disappointing, to the point I thought we were invisible! We sat in the foyer for an hour chatting before our meal but after 30 minutes no one had come over to ask if we wished coffee so I had to go to the reception desk.

The restaurant service was similarly non-attentive -- we were seated at our table and given the menus then the staff disappeared. It took too long before we were able to order; food eventually arrived (which was lovely); next we had to ask for the desert menu; they forgot to bring it so we had to ask again and endure even more delay before ordering. When we came to pay the bill there was not a member of staff to be seen. We eventually paid but the staff all disappeared again so there was no one to bid us the pleasantries of a farewell.

As we left I spotted our coffee cups were still sitting on our table in the foyer -- three hours after we had consumed the coffee.

In summary, excellent food, lovely clean, modern, spacious building, but poor service (Something our American guest spotted very quickly).

I assume they were having an off day (it certainly was not a busy day). I will not let this put me off a return visit if the need arose.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank justDAJ
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed here on a groupon deal and have arranged another visit.
We upgraded to a suite, well worth the money. We stayed in the Islay suite, it was stunning!!
Fab veranda and bedroom with massive bed and tv, lounge area with table, chairs, 2 leather sofas, coffee table etc. The bathroom, great deep bath and separate shower.
The suite was spotless and the staff were very helpful within housekeeping and reception.
The meal was the best gammon steaks we have had in Scotland, with again friendly helpful staff.
White chocolate crème brulee to die for.
Looking forward to our return visit

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert K, Owner at Radstone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Guest,

It is always great to get such fantastic feedback. Thank you for taking the time to write such lovely words, we will pass this on to the team at Shawlands Park Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your evening meal in Ash Grill Restaurant and will pass your comments on to Head Chef Graham.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 November 2013

My partner and I had an overnight in Shawlands Park Hotel in September, we got a spacious, modern, clean room, comfy bed and good blackout curtains we had a great sleep. This was our second time eatting here and again the food was fantastic, we enjoyed it so much we have actually booked up again for Christmas Day lunch this year really looking forward to amazing food and everything been taking care of, no cooking, no dishes and more quality time with my family!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert K, Owner at Radstone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely words regarding our hotel following your recent stay at Shawlands Park Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and have booked up for Christmas Lunch!

See you again soon!

Kind Regards

Proprietor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Larkhall
2 mi away
#2 of 4 in Hamilton
Strathaven Hotel
Strathaven Hotel
#1 of 1 in Strathaven

Been to Radstone Hotel? Share your experiences!