“Excellent!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portballintrae
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Excellent!!”
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I stayed here for the bank holiday weekend and it couldn't have been better! The room was excellent, from the layout to decor. We stayed in the premier room and it lived up to expectations; the view of the bay was gorgeous and the jacuzzi bath was very relaxing. We also had dinner in the Porthole and couldn't fault the food or service. We would definately stay here again, and couldn't recommend it enough!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Ireland
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I stayed for 1 night with my husband and 2 sons (6 & 7). We ate in the restaurant which was very popular. Childrens food was fine. My husband ordered the fillet which was 19.95 for a very small piece of meat which he did not believe was fillet and certainly did not look very appealing or good value for the price charged. I had the scampi which was OK but not more than that. There was music in the bar which we could hear cleary from our room. My eldest son could not get to sleep nor could I so at Midnight I rang reception to be told that no one had ever complained before. I did not get a satisfactory response on why we had not been informed that there would be music which we could hear in our room when I booked a family room only 2 days earlier. On checking out I was asked only after I had payed the bill if everything was allright. When I mentioned the music the person who was dealing with me turned to her colleague to confirm that there had indeed been music in the bar the night before. I took this to mean that my comments could not be trusted and needed to be confirmed by her colleague. An appology was given but it was about as sincere as the response I had gotten when I called down to reception the night before. We had a lovely trip to the beautiful Antrim coastline which was only marred by our stay in the Bayview Hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
trevorkane01, Owner at Bayview Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2010
Dear Podgester,
I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at my family owned and operated hotel. Your stay was during May Day Bank Holiday weekend, Sunday-Monday, the hotel was extremely busy because of popularity and the Bank Holiday. I included a popular evening of Traditional Music on the Sunday night to entertain our guests for free. This was enjoyed by all of our other guests who joined in with the sing-along of traditional Irish and North Antrim music. The entertainment ended at 12.15am and everyone dispersed soon after to their rooms.
Our fillet steak meal is very reasonable at £19.95, beef from traditional herds of Angus and Hereford, grazed on the farm lands of Co. Armagh, dry aged on the bone for 35 days and hand selected, served with baked field mushrooms over roasted herbed tomatoes and a choice of our traditional Bayview Sauce! a very reasonable price and of exceptional quality! Other guests have testified about our HIGH STANDARDS of quality and service and having had a wonderful time at Bayview. I can assure you that as the owner of this popular hotel I am proud of our staff and pleased that Bayview is a very popular and a busy Family operated hands-on Hotel.

Bayview Hotel
Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 May 2010

We visited the Bayview Hotel on the basis of the recommendations on trip advisor. We were 'home' for a few days from Yorkshire and wanted to take my mother somewhere different to eat after a visit to the coast.

Our evening was beautiful. The hotel is impeccably clean, stylish and welcoming. The dining room is beautiful - book ahead if you want a table by the window, although the amazing view can be enjoyed from many tables in the restaurant. The menu was refreshing, from traditional choices to the more unusual. The food we ordered was beautifully prepared and the portions generous.

We enjoyed coffee and dessert in a little snug area with cosy sofas and floor to ceiling windows looking over the bay - we visited on a Sunday evening and enjoyed the selection of current newspapers available. The hotel has a welcoming atmosphere, it even had a fire lit in the bar which was lovely. We stayed later than we'd anticipated relaxing and chatting after a beautiful meal.

On leaving the hotel we spoke to an amiable gentleman who introduced himself as the proprietor and enjoyed a pleasant conversation. We will return to stay - the proprietor recommended the front bedrooms and to sign up to get e-mails of special offers from the website - and have recommended the hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We stayed at this hotel for two nights two weeks ago and it was very nice. Portballintrae is in a great location, away from the sometimes crazyness of Portrush, and centrally located to easily get to all of the Causeway coast sights. I would suggest splurging for a seaside room as the views of the harbor were wonderful. The room itself was relatively basic but comfortable. The Porthole bar and restaurant is a big plus of the hotel. The bar is great, very cozy but lively at the same time. Dinner at the restaurant was very good, as were the breakfasts. I guess the one nitpick was that the reception staff wasn’t very friendly but the bartender made up for it, but honestly, that’s not a real big deal for me. I would highly recommend staying here for visiting the Antrim coast.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
belfast
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Visited on our 50th aniversary. booked premier room(twin) got double and single, diddn't seem like premier.
Both days could not get seat in bar because of football and rugby matches. In evening also, had to retire to bedroom because of noise level.
Restraunt adjacent to bar with no division and noise level very high.
Would not recommend hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ulidiaBelfast
trevorkane01, Owner at Bayview Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2010
Dear Ulidia, I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at Bayview because of noise level and room choice. I can only point out that our records show clearly that you booked and paid for a Superior room, not a Premier as you state! The hotel is very popular and busy especially as this period was the Easter Weekend! I am quite sure that all hotels in the area would hve been very busy and noise levels in all restaurants would have been very high because of the popular Easter weekend Break. I can also assure you that as an employer of 40 people I am very pleased that Bayview was very busy and noisy over the Easter weekend, everyone who stayed at our Hotel thoroughly enjoyed the weekend break and the atmosphere of the Hotel Restaurant!.
co.antrim
Reviewed 6 March 2010

Room was fantastic everything you would need, it was a good size and had a great view, however we had diner in resturant that night and found it a bit pricey, soup x 2, 1 fillet steak(19.99) 1 fish dish, 3 sides,(chips etc) 2 glasses of wine and pint £60.00

For breakfast you had the choice of cereal fruit etc, and ordered your cooked breakfast, this turned out to be pitiful, you could have soled your shoe with the bacon it was so tough as was the poached egg I ordered, the toast arrived it was nothing more than hot bread!!!!!!!! plus the teapot leaked , basic enough. I noticed that when we were checking out the receptionist was leaving us standing to answer the phones, and even when I came home and was enquiring about a room I was put on hold for them to answer another call, not very personal

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
trevorkane01, owner at Bayview Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2010
Dear dddddd, I am suprised that you found ourv prices to be expensive, at the time of your stay @ Bayview the price of a glass of exceptional wine was £3.40 and a regular pint of beer only £2.90!! Our fillet steak meal is a very reasonable £19.95, beef from traditional herds of Angus and Hereford, dry aged on the bone for 35 days and hand selected, served with baked field mushrooms over roasted herbed tomatoes and a choice of our traditional Bayview Sauce! a very reasonable price!
belfast
Reviewed 22 February 2010

this was a birthday treat from my daughter-she picked the bayview.
the superior room was spacious and spotless with beautiful views of the bay made even better with a blanket of snow on sat morning.
both meals were great and prices reasonable.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portballintrae
The Bushmills Inn Hotel
#1 of 6 in Ballymena
Marine Hotel Ballycastle
Marine Hotel Ballycastle
#2 of 2 in Ballycastle

Been to Bayview Hotel? Share your experiences!