“Lovely surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
Hessle, United Kingdom
“Lovely surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We were looking for anther tea rooms in this area when we chanced upon a short walk to the Blue Bird Tea Rooms. Incredible views over to France. Sit out or in and an area which was fenced off for safety if you have children with you. Inside there is a wood burning stove, for cooler days window seats have comfy cushions and guess what not a National Trust price in sight. We had tea and I had a toasted tea cake, my husband a Kentish cream tea. The staff were friendly and chatty and the whole experience well worth repeating. Thank you so much.

• Visited March 2014

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Go for the views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Far from perfect but you go here for the location. The"fry up" is not too bad. Been here so many times over the years and this place was excellent when owned and run by 2 guys whose names escape me. This was a few years back though.Tea ok ish. Coffee ok ish. Puddings a bit better.

They are sticklers for time. In the past have been minutes late for breakfast only to be told I should have got there earlier. Service not a strong point. However you must not ignore this place as the location is fantastic with great walking opportunities.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jonathan D
New Romney, United Kingdom
“Bad service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

In a beautiful setting on top of the cliffs overlooking the sea. The tearoom does get very busy as isn't very big and if you visit in busy periods you have to wait a long time for a table. Visited today for a drink and a sandwich and was not disappointed with the food, although a few more Pringles would have been nice. Thought five was a bit mean especially as the sandwich cost slightly under £5. The main letdown though was the waitress. She was very busy and a little stressed but that is no excuse for rudeness. She practically threw our cups at us! One customer asked if they could sit at a table that others were just leaving and under her breath and very huffly said Ok, I will be there in a minute! There were other similar instances and it spoilt our lunch. If we hadn't paid up front we would have left.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jackie K
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“A lovely quiet cafe over looking the English Channel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

The Blue Bird Tea Rooms are near to the Dover Patrol Memorial which is along the footpath between Kingsdown and the South Foreland lighthouse. I had a Cheese and pickle sandwich with a coffee and was surprised to see the size of it. It came with a salad garnish and some Pringles. The bread was thick and had plenty of filling. (On a previous visit I had a sandwich to take away which they wrapped up for me.)
The portions are very good and the staff are polite and friendly. The menu is quite varied and can be a little pricey but the food is good.
The building was originally the old coastguard station so has large windows all the better for admiring the ferries crossing and the views of France. There is free parking at the end of the lane beside the tea rooms. They have some separate tables inside and a large table at one end with cushion seating. There are some picnic style benches outside too.
I would stop by each time I was up on the cliffs.

• Visited September 2013
Faversham, United Kingdom
“Why?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Why the Blue Bird Cafe at St Margarets has so many good reviews is a puzzle to myself and my husband! On our first visit a while back we felt the service to be mediocre, but decided to try again yesterday. My husband`s coffee was good. However my tea was without colour, tasting like a cheap catering teabag. it was distinctly on the worse side of tepid - as if the kettle had never boiled. I ordered some lemon cake, which never arrived. I was quite grateful, as the tea was undrinkable so I did not bother to pursue the none appearance of the cake. Further to which the only available seat was directly in front of the toilet door and I had to move out of the way twice (in the very short time we were in the cafe) on account of customers `needs`. In contrast to this, the little tea hut down on the beach at St Margarets serves a superb egg and bacon bap and 1st rate tea in a nice big mug.

• Visited February 2014