“Excellent New Year”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Samlesbury
Liverpool
“Excellent New Year”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We have just returned from a very enjoyable New Years Eve package. From start to finish it was perfect ... Very helpful and friendly staff, excellent food, fabulous entertainment. Thank you ... We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view rom if possible
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnnGrace43
robin_ford, General Manager at Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent tripadvisor review on The Macdonald Tickled Trout, following your stay and experience at my hotel, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope we can welcome you back to Macdonald Tickled Trout again very soon!

Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel

E: robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Somerset
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We booked this hotel as an overnight stop on our way home to Somerset after visiting relatives in Scotland for Christmas. The location was perfect, just off the motorway junction. The welcome at reception was very good; we were given all the information needed. We had our dog with us so it was nice to be able to find a decent hotel that accepts dogs. We ate our evening meal in the lounge area and although the food was very good it was quite expensive, as were the drinks. However, as it was only one night we didn't mind. The room looked over the river and was very quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent with a great choice. We would definitely recommend this hotel for a very comfortable overnight stop although if staying longer it might prove expensive to eat there every night.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the river have a nice view and ours was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest.

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I appreciate your candid feedback which has been shared with my team.

I hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Sincere Regards,

Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Unbelievable hotel, at check in we went into our room only to be greeted with an awfull damp smell, we could not stay in the room. The receptionist kindly changed the room, but next room was just as bad. The decor is 70's the furniture lighting ambience all out of date. Came back around 12.30am to find the night porter on his mobile, we might have had a drink if he offered to serve us but his mobile was more important, real shame as we visit friends in Preston often and looks like another hotel next time.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I was disappointed to read about your unpleasant experience and how you found the hotel to be an awful 70’s mess. I would have hoped our recent investment in the hotel nearing £700,000 would have been testament to this.

I would appreciate greatly if you could please contact me personally so we can discuss your comments in greater detail.

We take all constructive feedback very seriously; we recognise it is the only way we can improve. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed one night just after Christmas and booked two rooms. First visit to the hotel but often need a hotel in the locality. On arrival at 1630 one room, 244, was at a cosy temperature but the radiator was stone cold while the other room, 248, was a bit chilly and again the radiator was stone cold. We opened the valves and told reception on the way out. The very pleasant receptionist assured us that the radiators would be warm later but on return at 2100 they were still stone cold. Room 244 still mysteriously warm and 248 a touch chilly but the occupants of 248 decided against arguing for a room change, which presumably would have been offered, So we slept well in comfortable, quiet and clean rooms and happily the room temperatures stayed stable despite the non-functioning radiators. But come the morning we got in the showers in both rooms only to discover that there was no hot water, but fortunately slightly tepid rather than stone cold water; of course shaving was also difficult. This was all rather disappointing for a hotel that has recently been refurbished; reception told us that the boiler had gone wrong overnight. The layout of the bathrooms clearly dates from a time when the biggest 10% of the population was rather smaller than they are now. Nothing the hotel can do about this other than a complete gutting, but I suspect that quite a few these days would find the standard room bathroom physically too small.

The ambience of the reception/bar/restaurant area is very pleasant but prices are high and presumably in line with what this chain can charge business travellers around the country. As mentioned elsewhere, the charge on the day for breakfast is £17.50, which is steep although the cooked breakfast did come quickly straight from the kitchen and had not been sitting on a hot plate-style buffet. It is worth paying less for breakfast in advance on the hotel web site if that is on offer. Otherwise there is a coffee shop at the BP garage next door. Prices on the hotel's web site seemed similar to those on the consolidators and if you do book direct with the hotel then they are currently giving you a £10 credit per room which I was told you could use against the cost of breakfast but I did not test that; the credit can be used for drinks at the bar.

In summary, if the radiators and hot water had been working then I would have been happy given the rate I paid but I would not think it is worth around £100 per night per room which is the rate sometimes advertised. If the room rate is good then I might give the Tickled Trout another try next time I am in the area (but I shall take a very thick coat!).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I hope my reply to you by email sent this week following you making direct contact with me will explain further. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Sincere Regards,

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with family after going to a wedding at another venue.

Plus points -
- it was a useful location for the family to meet up from various parts of the country being just off the m6.
- the hotel bar was nice
- good buffet choice at breakfast and the cooked breakfast was tasty

Bad points -
- no hot water in the morning for the shower, advised by reception this was a glitch with the boiler. Admittedly these things do happen but we were offered no apology or money off our room.
- the corridors carpets are in need of replacing with stains, bleach marks and there are tears throughout
- the decor is a little tired in the rooms and corridors
- the "full English breakfast" on offer included in the stay price is not a full breakfast as you can only have one of baked beans, black pudding or fried bread with your basic breakfast. If you wanted beans and a black pudding you would have to pay a £2.50 surcharge. Ahem. Really?! Don't understand why they would do that and all they achieve is to aggravate the customer.

All in all the place was adequate for us, we didn't really spend much time in the hotel other than use it as a place to get our heads down and have a spot of brekkie the day after. It was clean which is what we wanted.

I would not recommend in any way though staying there for a leisure break, I can't understand it's four star rating to be honest.

Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent tripadvisor review on Macdonald Tickled Trout, following your stay at my hotel.

We are grateful that you have taken the time to provide feedback on your experience.

Our Signature Breakfast is something we pride ourselves on as a group, only using the freshest and finest ingredients in both, we have won awards for two consecutive years based on our product for breakfast, I am sorry our service let us down and collectively you have not had a great experience.

We ask when taking your order if you would like black pudding, beans or fried bread to accompany the other items that come as standard. We do not charge any supplements for guests who would like all 3 in addition. I am sorry that you were either informed of this or given this impression. The reason we ask if we have found that many guests do not like any of the 3 so most guests were sending the plated breakfast back as we had given them as standard.

I value all constructive feedback and hope whilst we can welcome you back again in the future should you wish to discuss your comments in greater detail that you contact me on my details below. I would be delighted to hear from you.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Preston, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Came here on a works Xmas do. Would not return due to many reasons. Drinks are very overpriced, £6.10 for a vodka and lemonade, luckily I took my own vodka so spend 2 quid at a time for mixers. It looks like a dump from the outside and the inside isn't much different. There was a party of 19 of us costing us £32 each for a 3 course meal and a DJ. We got sharing starter platters of cold meats, bread, dips, roasted veg and potted mushrooms that should have been hot but were stone cold. Did not enjoy at all. For the main it was turkey dinner, turkey was way too dry, very thick slices, sprouts were bland, spuds and parsnips were rock hard. Got the tiniest amount of gravy on the meal with no gravy boat for people to add extra gravy if they wish. Pudding was the most decent,trio of 3 desserts. Whilst we were eating some carol singers sang carols, the dj announced that it was for charity and to donate so some kids came round with money boxes whilst we were eating which was very off putting. Would not return here. Way too dear and overrated,a bottle of wine cost 23 quid, ridiculously overpriced for the standard, quality and location

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 770Bhavna_P_13
Thank you for your recent tripadvisor review on Macdonald Tickled Trout, following your Christmas event at my hotel.

I am sorry you didn’t have an enjoyable experience; the feedback received from all guests who attended our party nights in December has been very positive and complimentary.

I am sorry you felt you had to bring your own Vodka; this would not be permitted so I am pleased you didn’t highlight this on the night! I would possibly add that you were pre-empting the prices given you thought to bring your own prior to attending the event.

I hope you can find a suitable venue for your event next Christmas.

lancashire
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We decided to go out for the first time ever for Christmas Day lunch as my mum passed away in July and we wanted to break the usual routine. What a nightmare!!! On arrival there was no Christmas atmosphere whatsoever. We saw ourselves in as there was no one on reception. The lounge area was quiet and we ordered the complimentary 'fizz' which was included in the price of £55 per person. This was a 'bucks fizz' (served at 2pm ). We were then shown to our table for 4 which was in the lounge area and not the main restaurant as described when I booked and paid a month before. We were stuck in a corner of the lounge with no Christmas music whatsoever and no Christmas atmosphere. There was only one other table of guests and they weren't impressed either. We asked to speak to a Manager as we would like some music. The manager said that they did not have speakers in that area of the lounge!!!! My daughter had to download Christmas music on her phone to at least give some feeling of Christmas!
Then we ordered wine. The Prosecco arrived very warm!!! I asked for a manager again and he agreed that it was warm and took it away to chill it. Unbelievable that a large hotel chain would not have chilled wine on a any day never mind Christmas Day. The wine was re delivered to the table over half an hour later and not much difference in temperature. By then we had eaten our starter and sent the main course back as it was only lukewarm. Only one plate had a chipolata on it! The service was very disorganised and the table was never cleared of the Christmas crackers and poppers all the way through. The desserts were served to 2 of us before the main course was taken away! The crackers were poor quality. More like something from a pound shop. As there was no choice on this menu, we would have thought that it would be so easy to get it all right.Goodness knows how things would have gone if there had been any choices! What a disaster of a day. On top of that we had taxi fares of £50!!! The meal was awful as was the service , wine and atmosphere. After several complaints to managers they agreed to refund half of the meal and did not charge for the wine. The manager who agreed this said that when she came on duty she could sense a bad atmosphere. However, this awful meal still cost £110 plus £50 in taxi fares. People who would have had charity meals on Christmas Day would have had a much better experience!
Do not risk ruining your Christmas Day here. We are are not people who complain normally but when it comes to Christmas Day being spoiled then that is different!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent tripadvisor review on Macdonald Tickled Trout, following your lunch at my hotel.

Please contact me on my details below so I can discuss your comments with you in greater detail.

E: robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Samlesbury
Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel
#5 of 15 in Preston
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Preston East Hotel
Premier Inn Preston Central Hotel

Been to Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel? Share your experiences!