“Great hotel and value for money, just don't buy a cuppa!”

Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Samlesbury
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Really lovely hotel, rooms we're perfect, not massive but well appointed and very clean. We stay in a lot of hotels and this has to be one of the best value bookings. £60 for a double room at this standard is excellent. The only downside is that we we're charged £4.55 for a cup of tea... I've never paid so much for a cuppa before (not even a biscuit!) Other than that, it's a winner.

• Stayed: April 2014
robin_ford, General Manager at Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor following your experience at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I was delighted to read you had a great stay and found our rooms perfect. Thank you for your feedback; this has been shared with my team this afternoon.

We have recently updated our lounge menus and included the introduction of clipper organic Fairtrade Infusions. The fresh and varied flavours of Infusions offer a range of benefits and are a great tasting way to support a healthy lifestyle. I have noted your comment about price and I will keep this on file for review.

robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Write a ReviewReviews (1,642)

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The Hotel is super. on arrival the check-in staff was friendly and welcomed me with a smile. The hotel has recently been refurbished and looks super (the corridor carpets were the last thing to be done and as I understand, would be completed shortly)
Dinner was super - very tasty and the staff were helpful and friendly.
The bedroom was great. very spacious and comfortable. I would recommend a room at the back of the hotel as traffic noise was constant. I had a room at the front! (I would ask the hotel to consider triple glazing)
The bathroom was clean and tidy but having had a long drive, I wanted a bath. I had to give it a quick clean out before I filled it, because it was dusty. Not dirty, but just dusty as though the cleaners hadn't wiped it out for a while. it was also a little grubby behind the bathroom door where housekeeping hadn't quite got into all the corners with the mop!
Breakfast was really good. the continental buffet was plentiful and fresh and the cooked breakfast I was very surprised to see, was plated service. Not that I minded, but it did take 45 minutes. (I was very glad I had got down early which gave me time to eat it when it came!)
I would give this hotel 5 stars if they just get the cleaning in the bathroom and the breakfast service up a notch. but a very lovely hotel and good experience.

Room Tip: rooms at the back away from traffic noise!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SopranoAlex

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review following your recent stay.

I was very pleased that you had a great experience, the hotel has received vast investment and we are continuing to invest as we progress forward into 2014 with our corridor carpet replacement programme starting in just under a week.

Thank you for your candid comments with regards the bathrooms; I have shared these with my housekeeping management team and will look into this in greater detail over the next few days.

Thank you once again I hope we can welcome you back to Macdonald Tickled Trout again in the very near future.

Don’t forget; book direct to get the best rates! That’s guaranteed!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Two night stay - Friday night excellent meal in restaurant staff very attentive and knowledgable about products - first night of new menu wonderful Argentinian steak, scallops for starter. Loved the coffee and cake counter in the bar - great idea. Room clean and comfy - breakfast selection exceeded expectations so much to choose from would definitely recommend to friends and would stay again!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wendy W

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay and experience at Macdonald Tickled Trout.
I was very pleased to read you had a great stay and visited our Scottish Steak Club restaurant whilst resident.

We pride ourselves on our steaks and all of our Scottish Steaks along with our Argentinian and USDA Strip guest steaks are truly exceptional, our commitment to great food clearly was sampled.

I hope you took the time to have some of our dessert shots also!

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Please don’t forget; book direct to get the best rates! That’s guaranteed!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Booked this hotel as going to UCLAN Open Day and what a lovely surprise. Great welcome, parking easy and rooms were clean and of a good size. Tea/Coffee and bottled water in room. Good buzz about the hotel. Reception lounge lovely with good array of both alcholic and non alcholic drinks. Best part that we booked dinner, bed and breakfast and the restaurant was a steak bar. Dinner was £25.00 per person towards the meal excluding drinks. Very good steaks and excellent waiting staff who worked very hard to ensure you were given all the facts about the steaks and that you enjoyed your meal. Food really good and would recommend Argenintian steaks which melted in your mouth (medium rare). Breakfast also very good - local produce with really good sausages. Allow dogs for a small charge which is also a bonus for us. Had a room overlooking River Ribble which was a lovely view and could walk dogs along th river. Ideally located by junction 31 of M6 and would really recommend as good value for money and food good value for money.

Room Tip: Overlooking the River.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sandygardner

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay and experience at Macdonald Tickled Trout.
I am delighted you had a great experience and found our rooms and facilities to exceed your expectations.

We have recently made some positive changed to our Scottish Steak Club restaurant as you will have sampled. We pride ourselves on our steaks and all of our Scottish Steaks along with our Argentinian and USDA Strip guest steaks are truly exceptional, our commitment to great food clearly experienced and delivered.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Please don’t forget; book direct to get the best rates! That’s guaranteed!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Me and my new husband stayed for one night last year, booked by his mum as a surprise. So after our lovely wedding we checked in around midnight. We were greeted by the night porter who told us our room and that breakfast would be on in the morning until 11am.
On arrival to the room, it seemed ok nothing special, they had spread rose petals and left gifts and champagne at the request out my mother in law, which was lovely. It went down hill from there. The room was clean enough. And the bed was fairly comfortable, however my husband was unable to hang up his suit or my dress as the wardrobe door fell off. I wanted to shower, which did not work properly just a little drizzle. We should have asked to change rooms, but we were to exhausted so got in bed and set our alarm for breakfast. After taking a while to find the correct place to go for breakfast, we arrived at 10am to be told breakfast was just finishing, although we were told 11am. Therefore all we could have was a cooked breakfast, which was quite good. However I was disappointed that all the cereals and pastries (my fave) had been taken away and the juice was nearly gone. I asked a girl if we could have any but she didn't speak English. So we ended up finishing our breakfast and leaving a little deflated and disappointed. Not how you want to spend your wedding night and your first day as man and wife :(

Room Tip: Book a different hotel!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I would be grateful if you could please contact me directly with regards your stay as I would like to discuss your feedback in greater detail.

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Visited the MacDonald hotel ideally located just off junction 3 of the M6. Parking was easy and the welcome was warm at reception, the room was clean and a good size.

The cooked breakfast was excellent, overall I could not fault it. Ideally located for Preston, Blackpool, Bolton and Manchester.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Visitukhotels123

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review following your stay at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

We welcome all feedback and I was delighted to read that you had a great stay with us. Our location is ideal and very easily located for all of the North West.

Our award winning breakfast (MIDAS Awards) is recognised across the UK, much effort and attention has been put in to carefully selecting only the finest ingredients from our Macleod Black pudding to our Sausages care of Anna’s Happy Trotters! Equal care, love and attention are then placed in cooking the breakfast for your enjoyment, I am glad you enjoyed it!

I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Had a short break to unwind last night. Lovely hotel been refurbished I believe and was a great deal. Think will do more of these. Food was excellence as was wine. All staff were friendly and helpful especially lady manager who was friendly and had great sense of humour.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank redleader57

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased you had a great short break, lots of time and effort is placed in our food and wine and selecting only the freshest and finest ingredients for our dishes and offering some great wines also.

We have many managers with great sense of humour; I have shared your valid feedback and hope we can see you again very soon!

robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samlesbury
Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel
#2 of 4 in Blackburn
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel? Share your experiences!