“Disappointed”

Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Samlesbury
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Called in for a meal on the way north 29th May 2014. Among others ordered Bourbon (Jack Daniels) and coke. Was served whisky and coke. No one came to check on us so eventually took drink to the bar where waiter/barman argued with me about the contents of the glass. Eventually replaced but I'm not sure the whisky remnants weren't still in the glass. We had asked for restaurant menu (6.30pm) but were not shown to the restaurant nor asked where we would rather be. Service was extremely slow. 1hr45m to be served drinks starter and main. Probably would go back but disappointed this time

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
robin_ford, General Manager at Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid feedback and review following your recent visit to Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I am sorry you had a prolonged delay in your meal experience and remained disappointed with your overall experience as a result.

I have spoken at length with Luca who served your drinks and I am quite confident that there must have been a mix up. I remain sorry you left disappointed as a result of his service and Luca has also asked to be associated with my apology to you given you felt he was argumentative.

Please take assurance that I welcome all feedback, both positive and candid, it is the only way we can improve. Thank you once again for taking the time to provide such following your visit.

Kind Regards,

robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The location is great - just off the motorway, so a great place to break your journey and right on the banks of the River Ribble, which was very relaxing. The staff were all very friendly and helpful which can make a difference to your stay. The rooms were lovely - spacious, nicely decorated, well equipped and very comfortable. The bathrooms were also clean and in good condition with nice free toiletries. I'd read that the corridors were a bit shabby but ours was very smart. The beds were incredibly comfortable and all 4 of us had a great nights sleep. Pillows and duvets were also just right for all of us. The bar was cool and comfortable with great views of the river. The food was disappointing. We'd looked at the menus before going to the restaurant and I had decided on the chowder to start with, followed by the salmon. Unfortunately, when we got to the restaurant both the chowder and salmon were unavailable (7.30pm on a Friday night!), so I decided to go with the fish and chips. When the waiter came to take our order they had also run out of the fish and chips! I thought I'd have pasta, but I think there was only one pasta dish (pumpkin stuffed ravioli?) which I didn't fancy. I settled on breadcrumbed chicken and chips. The chicken was lovely - very moist, but the chips weren't to my taste. It came with beetroot coleslaw which really was awful (none of the 5 of us ate it). My husband had a steak kebab, but it was literally one kebab with four bits of meat on it which were overcooked. The lemon sauce was just warm cream with no flavour. Personally we found the meal a bit of a let down and over priced for what we received. I would eat elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: We had two rooms at the front of the hotel overlooking the car park and facing the road, but none of...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following a recent stay at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I am happy you had an enjoyable stay overall and found the rooms and facilities ideal.

I was disappointed however to hear you didn’t have a good food experience and many items were missing from the menu on the Friday that you dined. Please accept my apologies for this and any inconvenience that you and your family endured.

Despite this experience I would be delighted to welcome you back again in the near future, I am confident we can demonstrate that we will and do get it right. Please don’t hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Me and my wife stayed for just 1 night and was very satisfied with our stay, the staff were all very nice and help full, our meal was faultless, i had a nice juicy rib eye steak, steaks are a speciality of the restaurant. My wife had salmon. Food was good.
Nice area with the river ribble very close to the hotel.
Will return again.
Jef and pearl.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review and provide some great feedback.
We are extremely proud of our Scottish Steak Restaurant; offering the very best steaks from Scotland and featuring some great guest steaks from USA and Argentina!

We believe this combined with our ageing fridge, ageing and showcasing our steaks; our great people delivering great service makes for a great experience.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable meal, especially the juicy Rib Eye Steak!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stopped for a single night whilst visiting friends and could not fault the service. The staff were friendly, paid attention to detail and seem to enjoy 'getting it just right'.

The restaurant was recently converted into one of Macdonald's (Macdonald Hotels, - not related to THOSE restaurants with golden arches!) Scottish Steak Clubs. Consequently, the majority of the menu features steaks - Argentinian, Scottish, American - in all their forms. There are plenty of alternative dishes, including excellent pork and fish dishes.

The location is within yards of J31 on the M6 but the sound-proofing works well and there is no intrusive noise.

A first rate cooked breakfast before we departed set us up nicely for the day. Special thanks to Editha for her attentive service at dinner and to Michael for giving our day a cheerful start at breakfast!

Room Tip: Ask for a river-view room, these overlook the river on the back of the hotel, away from the motorway...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Steve M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay and visit.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay and meal.

We are very proud of our Scottish Steak Restaurant; as you have mentioned we offer some great steaks from Scotland, Argentina and USA. I am also pleased that we showed our genuine care and commitment to getting it “just right” and both Edyta and Michael impressed you.

Thank you for mentioning them both, they are delighted with the personal mentions!

I sincerely hope you can come back again very soon!

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed for one night on way back from Scotland. excellent room big TV lovely comfy bed with mattress topper, spacious wardrobe. evening meal of chicken and peppercorn sauce very tasty followed by good lemon torte. breakfast selection varied plenty of choice. only minus wine very expensive at over £20 for cheapest bottle. would recommend though and return if in the area

Room Tip: we stayed in room 113 on the ground floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking to provide candid feedback following a recent stay.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay and especially enjoyed the chicken and peppercorn sauce and the lemon torte!

I am glad you witnessed the comfy beds and mattress toppers, we recently invested in replacing all our beds, bedding, mattresses and so on to ensure the continued comfort and sleep of our guests.

Thank you for your comments and we hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

stayed at the tickled trout for two nights ,on the way home from holiday ,and it was lovely .The rooms were spotlessly tidy with a lovely view of the river Ribble. The breakfast was very good the even served stornaway black pudding and the choice of cold cereals was amazing.The staff were very helpful and polite.All in all a nice break,the only down side was the location it was right beside the motorway ,however this was also quite good as you didnt have to look for the road home.

Room Tip: view to the back overlooking river better ,otherwise you will be overlooking the motorway
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay and visit.

I am delighted that you had a great stay and especially enjoyed the River Ribble view and spotlessly clean bedrooms!

I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast. We only using the very best quality freshest ingredients from our award winning Macleaod Stornoway black pudding produced from a family recipe on the Isle of Lewis to our British free range eggs and our award winning free range pork sausages from Anna’s happy trotters of Yorkshire.

Thank you for your comments and we hope we can welcome you back again.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I have often driven past this hotel as it's seconds off the M6. Stopped here for one night & the hotel is pleasant, clean & the staff friendly. The rooms are large, beds comfy & a good & tasty breakfast. Overall very nice.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
robin_ford, General Manager at Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments, we do have a great location very close to the transport network and ideally located on the gateway to Preston.

Thank you for your comments and we hope we can welcome you back again.

Remember, book with us direct for the very best price!

E: robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samlesbury
Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel
Holiday Inn Preston
Holiday Inn Preston
#11 of 15 in Preston
Legacy Preston International

Been to Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel? Share your experiences!