“Excellent value form a very comfortable, friendly hotel”

Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Samlesbury
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The hotel location has good access to motorways but with this there may be a small price to pay for rooms at the front overlooking the car park - a slight traffic drone, which does subside after rush hour. For rooms to the rear overlooking the river, these are quite quiet with pleasant country side views. We have resided in both.
The reception staff are warm, friendly and genuinely welcoming, as you would expect from local English people. We asked for an executive room and were provide with a room at the front of the hotel which which was well furnished with comforting decor and to a high standard of cleanliness. The high quality bed and linen provided an excellent nights sleep. There is also a large flat screen TV affording a myriad of channels, plus the usual well equipped tea and coffee tray.
The bathroom was tastefully designed with both a bath and a large effective shower, confirming you that you have booked an executive room. Downstairs the lounge area is relaxing, leading onto a smart bar and further lounge area with waiter service. Sadly the waiter was extremely overworked, presumably from being short-staffed, which lead to their being quite a wait for drinks and to place a restaurant order. Previously when staying in APRIL we enjoyed a truly excellent service. As for the menu, there is too much emphasis on the over priced Scottish Steak Club which also leaves you wondering why they have a display cabinet showing raw steak from Argentina and the USA, especially when the Eastern European waitress doesn't have a reasonable command of English to explain the contents. My chowder starter was excellent again, but the scollops were cold and expensive at over £10:00. The wine and steak was also expensive, but the steak was tender and cooked to perfection.
Breakfast was absolutely excellent, for not only for choice, but really hot and well presented by easy to understand English people.
Would we stay again? Most certainly, as our first stay would be hard to beat anywhere.

Room Tip: In April we had had a river view which is quieter and had pleasant view. In May we had an executive...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rods350
robin_ford, General Manager at Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent return stay to Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable experience.

Whilst you have commented that you enjoyed the food, making particular mention to the steak being tender and cooked to perfection I was disappointed that you felt there was too much emphasis on the Scottish Steak Club and finding the menu to be overpriced.

We are immensely proud of our Scottish Steak Restaurant; as you have mentioned we offer the very best steaks from Scotland, Argentina and USA. These are perfectly aged in our ageing fridge which is present in our restaurant for our guests and customers to see the cuts of meat and the ageing process for themselves.

We believe this sets us apart from many others and is a great tool.

I am sorry this left you wondering why we would display our very best produce. The ageing process greatly contributes to the tenderness and flavour of our dry-aged meat.

As I have alluded to above, we are proud of what we do and the quality of the ingredients that we serve, equally we train hard and all of our team members remain knowledgeable about our food.

I would disagree that we have any “Eastern European” team members as you highlight in your review who do not have a reasonable command of English, I am sorry you felt this was the case.

I am also very pleased you enjoyed our Signature breakfast, we really are committed to only using the very best quality ingredients in our breakfasts, we believe the combination of using British free range eggs, free range and red tractor approved award winning sausages from Anna’s happy trotters in Yorkshire and our award winning Macleod Stornoway black pudding to name just a few components are the main reasons why we have consistently won the MIDAS Best Breakfast Award and continue to receive such positive feedback.

The quality remains high and shouldn’t change just because it was presented by an easy to understand English people as your review points out.

I am very proud and privileged to work with the great team that I do, the quality and consistency of the experience our guests endure is down to them, they are the real stars!

Thank you once again for your comments and I sincerely hope you can come back again very soon!

E: robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Write a ReviewReviews (1,652)

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Went here recently with family, and overall we really enjoyed it. Rooms were well equipped ( hair dryer, iron, trouser press, coffee & tea facilities ) and very clean, ours overlooked the river which was an added bonus. The deal we booked included an evening meal allowance of £25 per person, and you simply paid for any amount which was overspent. There's various things on the restaurant menu, but with most of the steaks being £21 and above it doesn't leave much room within the £25 allowance for a starter and dessert. We found the bar menu to be much better value - there's a lot more on this menu and at more reasonable prices. All of the staff we spoke to, from cleaners to reception and bar staff to waiters were all very welcoming and polite. The hotel is ideally situated to visit places in various directions - we went to Blackpool one day ( 30 mins by car ) and the Trafford Centre another day ( around 40 mins ). Breakfast is lovely, with a large self service continental selection on offer. Cooked breakfasts are also available to order. We'd definitely stay here again, but the restaurant menu needs a rethink I'm afraid !

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank SuperSonic1979

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking to provide candid feedback following a recent stay.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for your comments and we hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Last minute booking as overnight stay. Good value DBB break and booked an executive room for a little extra comfort.
Room was spacious and comfy but faced the car park and close to busy road. On a very warm day the room was stuffy and with the window open the traffic noise was annoying.
Opposite rooms faced the river with a lovely view so make sure you ask for a river view room.
Check in was good and meal option explained as £50 credit toward restaurant which sounds OK but food is expensive with starters at £8 and steaks between £24 and £28
Ordered a Dover Sole which was inedible with no offer of filleting at the table.
Apologies accepted and no charge for our sweets to compensate which was a nice gesture.
6.00 to 8.00 pm was 2 cocktails for the price of 1 which made them affordable otherwise priced at £8 or £9 per drink !
No fresh mint for my Mojito so had to choose an alternative.

Breakfast was wonderful and included in the DBB rate otherwise charged at £17.50 which is enough to pay but then a supplement of £2.50 should you want kippers or eggs Benedict.
I find these breakfast and dinner supplements annoying

My first experience of a Macdonald hotel - could do much better, especially in the restaurant that needs a menu rethink.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
robin_ford, General Manager at Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I appreciate your candid feedback as a result.

All of our Executive Rooms offer a variety of additional features to those of a standard room, primarily offering King size beds, upgraded toiletries and a four piece bathroom. I appreciate that all of our standard rooms do offer superb views of the River Ribble.

The hotel has been extended over the years and the additional Executive bedrooms were added after the standard rooms were built. It is unfortunate that given the size difference of these rooms we cannot install the features of an Executive room into that of a standard.

I am sorry you were inconvenienced by road noise; ordinarily we receive positive feedback given our close proximity to the road network just how quiet our rooms are.

We are extremely proud of our Scottish Steak Restaurant; offering the very best steaks from Scotland and featuring some guest steaks from USA and Argentina! We believe this combined with our ageing fridge, ageing and showcasing our steaks; our great people delivering great service makes for a great experience.

Our Lemon Sole is a very popular dish and one we receive very good feedback and commendations on. I am sorry you didn’t feel this was the case when you dined.

We only use the finest and freshest ingredients from quality suppliers, I appreciate that our prices cannot be compared to other “steak chain restaurants” but we believe our pricing reflects the quality of the ingredients we are using. Starters range in price from £6.50 and our mains range from £11.50. Our steaks start at £21.50.

I am delighted you found our Signature Breakfast to be wonderful. Again committed to only using the very best quality ingredients in our breakfasts we believe the combination of our Free Range British Eggs, Anna’s Happy Trotters Sausages Macleod Stornoway Black Pudding to name just a few components is the reason why we have consistently won the MIDAS Best Breakfast Award.

The supplements that we charge for Eggs Benedict, Kippers and the likes are to cover the cost of these items.

Thank you once again, I hope we can welcome you back again in the very near future.

Regards,

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Called in for a meal on the way north 29th May 2014. Among others ordered Bourbon (Jack Daniels) and coke. Was served whisky and coke. No one came to check on us so eventually took drink to the bar where waiter/barman argued with me about the contents of the glass. Eventually replaced but I'm not sure the whisky remnants weren't still in the glass. We had asked for restaurant menu (6.30pm) but were not shown to the restaurant nor asked where we would rather be. Service was extremely slow. 1hr45m to be served drinks starter and main. Probably would go back but disappointed this time

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid feedback and review following your recent visit to Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I am sorry you had a prolonged delay in your meal experience and remained disappointed with your overall experience as a result.

I have spoken at length with Luca who served your drinks and I am quite confident that there must have been a mix up. I remain sorry you left disappointed as a result of his service and Luca has also asked to be associated with my apology to you given you felt he was argumentative.

Please take assurance that I welcome all feedback, both positive and candid, it is the only way we can improve. Thank you once again for taking the time to provide such following your visit.

Kind Regards,

robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The location is great - just off the motorway, so a great place to break your journey and right on the banks of the River Ribble, which was very relaxing. The staff were all very friendly and helpful which can make a difference to your stay. The rooms were lovely - spacious, nicely decorated, well equipped and very comfortable. The bathrooms were also clean and in good condition with nice free toiletries. I'd read that the corridors were a bit shabby but ours was very smart. The beds were incredibly comfortable and all 4 of us had a great nights sleep. Pillows and duvets were also just right for all of us. The bar was cool and comfortable with great views of the river. The food was disappointing. We'd looked at the menus before going to the restaurant and I had decided on the chowder to start with, followed by the salmon. Unfortunately, when we got to the restaurant both the chowder and salmon were unavailable (7.30pm on a Friday night!), so I decided to go with the fish and chips. When the waiter came to take our order they had also run out of the fish and chips! I thought I'd have pasta, but I think there was only one pasta dish (pumpkin stuffed ravioli?) which I didn't fancy. I settled on breadcrumbed chicken and chips. The chicken was lovely - very moist, but the chips weren't to my taste. It came with beetroot coleslaw which really was awful (none of the 5 of us ate it). My husband had a steak kebab, but it was literally one kebab with four bits of meat on it which were overcooked. The lemon sauce was just warm cream with no flavour. Personally we found the meal a bit of a let down and over priced for what we received. I would eat elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: We had two rooms at the front of the hotel overlooking the car park and facing the road, but none of...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following a recent stay at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I am happy you had an enjoyable stay overall and found the rooms and facilities ideal.

I was disappointed however to hear you didn’t have a good food experience and many items were missing from the menu on the Friday that you dined. Please accept my apologies for this and any inconvenience that you and your family endured.

Despite this experience I would be delighted to welcome you back again in the near future, I am confident we can demonstrate that we will and do get it right. Please don’t hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Me and my wife stayed for just 1 night and was very satisfied with our stay, the staff were all very nice and help full, our meal was faultless, i had a nice juicy rib eye steak, steaks are a speciality of the restaurant. My wife had salmon. Food was good.
Nice area with the river ribble very close to the hotel.
Will return again.
Jef and pearl.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review and provide some great feedback.
We are extremely proud of our Scottish Steak Restaurant; offering the very best steaks from Scotland and featuring some great guest steaks from USA and Argentina!

I am pleased you had an enjoyable meal, especially the juicy Rib Eye Steak!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stopped for a single night whilst visiting friends and could not fault the service. The staff were friendly, paid attention to detail and seem to enjoy 'getting it just right'.

The restaurant was recently converted into one of Macdonald's (Macdonald Hotels, - not related to THOSE restaurants with golden arches!) Scottish Steak Clubs. Consequently, the majority of the menu features steaks - Argentinian, Scottish, American - in all their forms. There are plenty of alternative dishes, including excellent pork and fish dishes.

The location is within yards of J31 on the M6 but the sound-proofing works well and there is no intrusive noise.

A first rate cooked breakfast before we departed set us up nicely for the day. Special thanks to Editha for her attentive service at dinner and to Michael for giving our day a cheerful start at breakfast!

Room Tip: Ask for a river-view room, these overlook the river on the back of the hotel, away from the motorway...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Steve M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay and visit.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay and meal.

We are very proud of our Scottish Steak Restaurant; as you have mentioned we offer some great steaks from Scotland, Argentina and USA. I am also pleased that we showed our genuine care and commitment to getting it “just right” and both Edyta and Michael impressed you.

Thank you for mentioning them both, they are delighted with the personal mentions!

I sincerely hope you can come back again very soon!

E: robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samlesbury
Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel
6 mi away
Barton Grange Hotel
Barton Grange Hotel
#5 of 15 in Preston

Been to Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel? Share your experiences!