The hotel location has good access to motorways but with this there may be a small price to pay for rooms at the front overlooking the car park - a slight traffic drone, which does subside after rush hour. For rooms to the rear overlooking the river, these are quite quiet with pleasant country side views. We have resided in both.
The reception staff are warm, friendly and genuinely welcoming, as you would expect from local English people. We asked for an executive room and were provide with a room at the front of the hotel which which was well furnished with comforting decor and to a high standard of cleanliness. The high quality bed and linen provided an excellent nights sleep. There is also a large flat screen TV affording a myriad of channels, plus the usual well equipped tea and coffee tray.
The bathroom was tastefully designed with both a bath and a large effective shower, confirming you that you have booked an executive room. Downstairs the lounge area is relaxing, leading onto a smart bar and further lounge area with waiter service. Sadly the waiter was extremely overworked, presumably from being short-staffed, which lead to their being quite a wait for drinks and to place a restaurant order. Previously when staying in APRIL we enjoyed a truly excellent service. As for the menu, there is too much emphasis on the over priced Scottish Steak Club which also leaves you wondering why they have a display cabinet showing raw steak from Argentina and the USA, especially when the Eastern European waitress doesn't have a reasonable command of English to explain the contents. My chowder starter was excellent again, but the scollops were cold and expensive at over £10:00. The wine and steak was also expensive, but the steak was tender and cooked to perfection.
Breakfast was absolutely excellent, for not only for choice, but really hot and well presented by easy to understand English people.
Would we stay again? Most certainly, as our first stay would be hard to beat anywhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views over the beautiful River Ribble, yet conveniently close to Preston town centre and the M6, Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel has an ideal location. Following a £0.5 million refurbishment, the hotel has just introduced a beautiful new Riverside Bar and Lounge where you can relax and enjoy a beverage from our new Costa Coffee. Join us at the new Scottish Steak Club where imaginatively reworked Scottish favourites are passionately prepared by our world class chefs, using only the finest and freshest produce.In addition a number of our bedrooms are being re-decorated from top to bottom including beautiful new bathrooms and soft furnishings. The hotel has also retained many traditional features, such as wood beams in our restaurant and an open plan lounge, creating a warm and welcoming ambience.Macdonald Tickled Trout is always a popular meetings venue due to our convenient location, well-equipped conference suites and extensive onsite parking. Alternatively, our riverside terrace is the ideal place to enjoy a morning coffee with friends or relax with a pre dinner drink as you take in the views. Guests can enjoy our delicious food and drink and then relax in contemporary en suite accommodation, whilst our versitile function rooms are perfect for weddings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Tickled Trout
- Macdonald Tickled Trout Bamber Bridge
- Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel Preston/Samlesbury