“Comfortable Stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Samlesbury
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Comfortable Stay”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We'd booked executive rooms for 3 nights to celebrate a family event. Check in was fast and efficient and our rooms were a good size with a large comfortable bed. Breakfast was fairly pricey but there was a lot of choice and we filled up so that lunch was not needed. The staff were exceptionally helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Our rooms faced the car park and despite having the window open all night as it was incredibly hot we were not disturbed by any traffic noise. All in all a very pleasant stay and would definitely come again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
robin_ford, General Manager at Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I am delighted you had a comfortable stay; I hope we can welcome you back again soon!

Remember, book with us direct for the very best prices!

Best Regards,

E: robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My Husband and I stayed at the Tickled trout for one night, the hotel was lovely and the view from our window was nice, staff very friendly but the breakfast was very disappointing, the bacon was over done and that is coming from someone who loves crispy bacon, you had egg, bacon, sausage, half tomato,mushroom, and a choice of ONE of the following , black pudding, fried bread or beans , for the price of £17.95 I thought it was expensive. I would stay again but I would NOT have the breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay finding the hotel to be lovely and notably the view. I was disappointed that you didn’t enjoy our signature breakfast; this is something we have won consecutive awards for.

I have shared your comments with Amanda my breakfast chef and she shares my passion for serving great food and I will ensure that more care and attention is taken in future.

I hope despite this unfortunate set-back we can welcome you back to Tickled Trout again in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can be of any further assistance with any future booking needs.

Always book with us direct for the very best prices, guaranteed!

Regards,

Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business. All seemed fine until Dinner, where our group thought we'd try out their "Scottish Steak Club" experience. We waited nearly an hour for our food which arrived over-cooked amongst a plethora of other things that were just wrong. Breakfast was also quite a let down. It took 2 days to get the truth from the staff that the reason they couldn't provide "Eggs Benedict" as advertised was because the chef didn't know how to make a Hollandaise Sauce.

The staff were slow to serve but generally very polite and understanding of matters. Rooms were tired and in need of a refurbishment.

Overall, I would stay at the Millstone at Mellor next time. We are there twice after our first night experience and it is exceptional.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Scott W
robin_ford, General Manager at Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.

I was very disappointed that you did not have an enjoyable experience. Please contact me personally as I would like to discuss your feedback in greater detail.

Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This was a lovely place to stay, with a lovely view of a lake right outside our window.
The only BAD thing was there was NO heating in the room so was very cold!!!! the room service was VERY expensive so we opted to eat out.
Other then that, bed was very comfortable, they allowed us to book in early hours at no extra cost, Maid service was lovely very friendly staff, someone on desk 24hrs for any queries and to greet you.

Recommended for those travelling late or long distance and need somewhere comfortable and nice to stay, with a friendly smile to greet you.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay back in February, I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay and found our staff to be friendly and smiley!

I appreciate you found your room to be cold, unfortunately as your stay was 5 months ago I cannot comment on the situation at the time however all of our rooms either feature a radiator or electronic wall heater, I am sorry you didn’t seem to find this the case when you stayed, I am unsure why your room would not have been heated, I know that all of our rooms feature one of these.

I assume that the radiator or heater may have been turned down low or possibly off, I apologise that you were unnecessarily inconvenienced nonetheless.

I hope despite this small set back we can welcome you back to Macdonald Tickled Trout again very soon.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I use the Tickled Trout for meetings with clients and suppliers. There is a real buzz about the place and I often meet other contacts from my network and so end up having informal chats and catching up with their news.

The staff are warm and friendly, the Wifi is free and reliable and you get great coffee as well. There are power points for recharging and a variety of different types of seating so you can have formal and informal meetings.

And finally, there is the river running past and with outdoor seating for those warmer days.

Room Tip: I have not stayed in the hotel, only used its meeting area, restaurant and board rooms for larger me...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

robin_ford, General Manager at Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review, I am delighted that you have found our facilities suitable.

Our convenient location does mean we are the ideal place to meet, plenty of free parking, free Wi-Fi (recently upgraded further to fibre so its event quicker) and a range of different meeting rooms for those larger or more private events.

Please keep coming!

powys
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed for one night during hot weather, but the room, having no air conditioning, was a sauna. As we lay awake, a torrent of sweat streaming off us and into little lakes on the side of the bed, we were serenaded by someone (or something) clattering around in the bins below our window.

Of course, it’s not the hotel's fault if the temperature reaches the high twenties. They could have done something about the bin goblins, and maybe should have invested in some portable fans, but there was something else that made this stay cross the border from the Land of Unfortunate Events to the Empire of the Horrible.

My partner is a vegetarian, I'm not, but I do have a disinclination towards graphic animal butchery. Earlier that evening, before we commenced our slow descent into a hell of noise and sweat, we headed for the hotel restaurant.

As we made our way to dinner a member of staff directed our attention towards a large chill cabinet. Inside this were slabs of raw meat, each one on a separate shelf, and each with a dainty little flag inserted into it in order that we might know the cadaver's country of origin. A little put off the idea of dinner, we sat at our tables to be presented with a menu that was a butcher's diagram of cuts of meat. This was beginning to feel like a bad joke. I noted, however, that no one in the restaurant was actually eating steak, so I guessed the whole meat concept had backfired a little. The hotel is called 'The Tickled Trout' after all, and there's a river running alongside. It isn't called 'The Slaughtered Calf' with an abattoir next door.

Despite all this what made the stay bearable were the excellent staff. They were courteous, and the restaurant manager was lovely - very witty (she made me laugh out loud several times), thoughtful and like most of the staff far, far classier than the surreal establishment in which they worked. It made me realise how decent staff can save the reputation of a company when the directors (highly paid and clueless) decide turning a hotel into A Theatre of Meat is the way to go.

Room Tip: If it's a hotter than usual day, ask for air conditioning!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank king-nowhere
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.

I appreciate given the warm weather of late our rooms can be warm; we do offer fans where possible to try and cool. I am sorry your room was so incredibly hot that you found yourself lying in a small lake.

We do not have any bedrooms that overlook any bins; our refuge area where our waste is stored is at the far end of the building, quite a distance from any guest areas. Not sure where the bin goblins are hiding!

Our Scottish Steak Club restaurant does indeed serve Steak as the main article and focus, whilst we do offer an array of other dishes including other meat, fish and vegetable options. The ageing fridge on arrival is a visual to display the variety of cuts of meat on offer and we continue to age the cuts to add further texture and flavour, The butcher's diagram of cuts of meat that is featured on the menu is again all part of the steak experience.

I understand and appreciate that you do not want to be forced to look at steak and please be assured that none of our branding or concept is done to intentionally offend.

Our hotel name relates back to the River Ribble located to the side of the property where the local fishermen used to (and still occasionally do) tickled for Trout. We don’t have any immediate intention to change our name to 'The Slaughtered Calf' nor do we operate an abattoir.

I am sorry that our small ageing fridge has clearly offended you and would take issue with an accusation with regards our directors being highly paid and clueless as a result of this feature fridge.

I am delighted that you found our team to be excellent and courteous, and my restaurant manager (Anna) was lovely.

I am genuinely disappointed that you felt the events during your stay lead to (as you have described) the Empire of the Horrible!

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel with spacious well laid out rooms. Breakfast was good and the dinner selection looked great. Excellent service all round! Really welcoming and no problem with the dog staying. Only criticism was that the scrambled egg was a bit rubbish.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Andrew E
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and candid comments following your stay at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I am pleased you had a nice time and we looked after you and your dog. I apologise that despite breakfast and overall dining being positive you didn’t enjoy the scrambled eggs, thank you for pointing this out.

I will discuss this comment with my breakfast chef (Amanda) as I know she equally shares my passion and commitment for wanting to get it right.

I hope we can welcome you (and the dog!) back again very soon.

Please do let me know personally if I can assist with your accommodation booking, always book direct with the hotel for the best rates guaranteed!

P: +44 (0) 844 879 9053
Also consider these accommodations in or near Samlesbury
Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel
#5 of 15 in Preston
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Preston East Hotel
Premier Inn Preston Central Hotel

Been to Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel? Share your experiences!