“"Lovely, Relaxing Stay"” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Samlesbury
Leuchars, United Kingdom
“"Lovely, Relaxing Stay"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We arrived on a Sunday evening, and the Reception Staff were lovely and welcoming, we were checked in quickly and offered for our bags to be taken to our room etc.
The room itself was lovely but was slightly too warm even with two windows open, so A/C would be an advantage being fitted.
The Bar/Lounge area was lovely and welcoming and the staff could not be more helpful and pleasant.
The Breakfast was gorgeous, with a large selection on the cold buffet as well as being able to order a cooked breakfast. Again Staff were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble.
In total we stayed 3 nights, due to my husband having business in the area, I would definitly have no worries in visiting again.
Loved the outside decking looking over the River Ribble was lovely to sit out there of an evening.

Room Tip: If you like a cool room ask at reception for a fan to placed in the room before you arrive.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

robin_ford, General Manager at Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I am delighted you had a great 3 night stay and enjoyed various aspects of your experience. We are very proud of our award winning breakfast, glad you enjoyed it!

Please do let me know personally if I can welcome you back again and help you with your accommodation needs.

Best Regards,

E: robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Hightae
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I've passed The Tickled Trout countless times whilst travelling on the M6 and have always wanted to stay there as it looks like such a pleasant location despite being so close to the motorway and a main road. We booked on the day we travelled and were quoted £73 on Expedia but, when we arrived at reception, I was only charged £55 - result! The hotel is very pleasant and the staff all friendly and efficient. Our room wasn't very big but was clean, comfortable and very acceptable for the price. We overlooked the river and wished we had binoculars as there's a plethora of wildlife to watch. We stayed at the end of the heat wave and some parts of the hotel were very warm, particularly the corridor leading to our room and the room itself. There was no aircon but the window opened fully so it wasn't a problem. There was some background noise from the M6 but it really didn't bother us at all, surprising seeing as it's so close to the hotel and as we live somewhere that doesn't really have any traffic noise at night. The bathroom was very compact but clean, the only problems being that I repeatedly stubbed my toe on the doorstop due to the limited floor space and the hot tap over the bath being marked as cold. Breakfast was pretty much the usual standard for a Macdonald hotel and we had no complaints. We've stayed at Macdonald Anstey Hall and the dinner menu was fairly small but interesting and reasonably priced for the quality and portion size. It also presented us with enough choice to eat there two nights in a row. Not so The Scottish Steak Club. We like steak and, living in rural Scotland, have excellent local beef available at between £15 and £25 for a hearty portion with all the trimmings. The meal we had in the SSC was good but expensive for what we got, costing around £140 for one starter, mains, desserts, cheese, a bottle of wine and a soft drink. The chips were delicious but were lost in their fancy holder as there were only about eight each. The steaks were very good and cooked to perfection but my partner's t-bone was cut very thin and he didn't think it was anywhere near 12oz (t-bone is his favourite so he tends to know these things). Everything else was delicious, however I've had better meals for £100 all-in and one that could easily compete on steak quality and portion size (admittedly rump not fillet or t-bone) that was only £14.95 per head for three courses. The lounge bar menu is much cheaper but very ordinary and there was nothing on it that my partner wanted to eat. If we'd realised the relatively limited offerings in the main restaurant we'd have gone into Preston rather than booking a table as we were advised to do despite the place being almost empty. The one thing we really did like was the option of having a selection of individual desserts served in glass on wooden boards. We shared four of them and they were all delicious. The cheeseboard was pretty decent but again a bit overpriced. Nothing warranted a complaint, our waitress was extremely pleasant and efficient and the price of the room brought the overall cost to around what we often pay for a hotel and dinner, however we probably wouldn't eat in the SSC again. We eat out quite often and are probably hyper-critical, especially when it comes to steak, and it would probably be a nice place to go for a meal in terms of comfort, service and overall ambience, and if steak is a special treat for you. To sum up, a lovely wee hotel, very friendly staff and definitely somewhere we'd stay again. We'd probably not eat there unless the restaurant menu included some more interesting options as Preston isn't far away and there looks to be a fair range of other options in the area. My value rating is based on the room rate being so good and would be lower had we paid the full price.

Room Tip: A room at the back will have a river view, ideal for watching herons, ducks, geese and various other...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to Macdonald Tickled Trout and Scottish Steak Club.

I greatly appreciate your candid feedback and complex review detailing the local area and the nearby nature reserve.

Our location is idyllic despite the close proximity to the motorway network and we are privileged to overlook Brockholes nature reserve and reservoir. The wildlife is plentiful and as you have mentioned can be seen from the hotel.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.
Remember; book direct for the best rates, guaranteed!

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely stay, sitting on the decking by the river in the evening until my lovely dinner was ready. Large pleasant room with clean bathroom. Service was great, perfect greeting from Abul, who couldn't do enough to help, lady at the bar and our waiter at dinner were great.
Many. Thanks

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review based on your recent stay.

We are pleased you had a lovely stay and took advantage of the riverside decking.
We offer a variety of bedrooms and I am pleased you found the room to large, pleasant and clean with our overall service to be great.

Abul is a great staff member and I am delighted he provided a perfect greeting, its great news he couldn’t do enough for you. I am also pleased to hear the lady you looked after you in the lounge and dinner were equally helpful, I have shared your feedback with our team this afternoon.

We hope we can welcome you back again soon!

Remember, please book direct for the best rates, guaranteed!

Best Regards,

Cumbria, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I had to wait a while to calm down before writing this review. I tend to not bother rather than right a negative review, but after my visit to the Tickled Trout, somehow all the comments from the ‘moaners’ I read in Tripadvisor seemed to make sense. Slow and sloppy staff, non availability of items on the menu, tables not being cleared in the bar even when the staff outnumbered the customers. We witnessed them all.

We booked the stay at the Tickled Trout months previously under a special deal, on arrival at the hotel we confirmed the details; £50 voucher for the meal and £10 for drinks at the restaurant. The hotel boasts an extensive refurbishment programme, but I fail to see where the money went. Door handles and furniture was rickety. There was no air-conditioning in the room, which made it stiflingly hot (even Premier Inns have a/c), and the safety strap on the window was broken. I counted four fire doors between reception and our room physically wedged open. Even the decking on the outside area was a bit creaky. The Wi-Fi was so slow it was virtually unusable; with the over zealous ‘nanny’ filters blocking even very ordinary legitimate websites.

Somehow on the Friday night I left a cigar lighter on the table at the bar. The next morning I was told they had seen it and it was in reception, who sent me back to the bar. And so it was for the rest of the weekend – bar – reception – bar again. I never got it back.

For the meal we started off with the Black pudding, which can best be described as a bland pureed slime tasting something between haggis and black pudding. But it was the Fish and Chips we had for mains that was really disgusting. Served in what looked like a chip basket for a single person deep fat fryer plonked onto a wooden board. What was all that about? Soggy greasy fish, obviously cooked at the wrong temperature, with chips that were like partly boiled potatoes dipped in lukewarm chip fat. We didn’t bother with a desert, even with the £50 allowance going towards it.

The misery continued right to the very end while settling the bill. After having to wait in a long queue of other customers querying their bills, we were presented with a bill of £7.80, which was the price of a pint of bitter and a pint of larger we had during the meal. We pointed out that there was a £10 allowance for drinks in the restaurant which was confirmed both at check in and during the meal so we should not have to pay. She then said that we were being charged “FOR A DOG!” Even if I had a dog it certainly wouldn’t be sitting in the restaurant ordering pints of beer.

In the end, for the price we paid it was not far off what we would have paid to stay in a Premier Inn. The meal would have been better and the room would have had the air-conditioning that would have made the stay more comfortable. The only difference is that in a Premier Inn the soap is in a dispenser rather than separate sachets and everything in a Premier Inn is purple. I think we will be in a Premier Inn next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Captain_Coyote
robin_ford, General Manager at Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Macdonald Tickled Trout.
I am sorry you didn’t have an enjoyable stay and clearly from reading your detailed comments you left the hotel feeling very unimpressed.

Please accept my apologies in the first instance, I am genuinely disappointed, our aim is not that our guests depart with a negative impression or with the view to choose to stay elsewhere in future.

Over the past 18 months we have invested around £1m in our property, the bulk of this investment has been on our ground floor and fixtures and fittings such as new corridor carpets, beds, bedding etc. I am bitterly disappointed that you could not see any of this investment, none of our chairs, tables or furniture in our lounge and restaurant are rickety, every piece less than 18 months old.

None of our bedrooms have air-conditioning, nor do we advise that fact that we have. I appreciate the sudden warmer nights recently have inconvenienced some guests and whilst we have tried to pre-empt and react to this by purchasing in-room fans we do not place these into the room as standard but work on a request basis.

The fire doors you mention are purposely left in the open position, none are wedged open and all operate on electro-magnetic catches that automatically release upon the activation of the fire alarm.

I am sorry you felt the Wi-Fi to also be slow and as you have mentioned virtually unusable. We have a fibre Wi-Fi service provided by The Cloud which we provide complimentary to our guests and customers and offers exceptional bandwidth and speed. I am not aware of any over zealous ‘nanny’ filters blocking even very ordinary legitimate websites nor have I received any other comments of this nature. If you can please contact me and let me know what sites you were trying to access I would like to take this up with our IT Director and The Cloud.

From reading your comments I also note you did not enjoy your meal. I am surprised you especially did not enjoy the Black Pudding. This Award Winning Stornoway Black Pudding is supplied to us from Charles McLeod on the small island of Lewis. We received very good comments about the quality and flavour, I am sorry you personally didn’t enjoy it.

I have also never received any negative comments about our Fish & Chips, the fresh wild Haddock which we use in this dish and the heritage potatoes are excellent quality ingredients, I am sorry this wasn’t your experience and that you found the dish to be soggy. I am disappointed that you didn’t enjoy the serving style of a small wire basket that the fish and chips are served to you in.

Overall I appreciate and understand that you didn’t enjoy your experience, I hope this will not stop you using Macdonald Hotels again in the near future.

robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed one night en route to south coast. Room was on corner at back of hotel. As we walked along the corridor to the room the walk seemed never ending and got hotter and hotter the further we walked. This was late in the evening as we were just using hotel as stopover. We only wanted a bed for the night. When we entered the room it not only was very small and the bathroom was tiny, but the heat was astounding. We opened the window but were met with the constant sound of barking dogs from the farm over the river. As it was so late and we were exhausted and had walked what seemed like miles to get to the room we could not be bothered to go down to complain so just accepted our fate! By 3am we regretted that decision as we could not get any sleep for the heat or the barking dogs and shutting the window would have meant we were found in the morning cooked medium rare! There was no air conditioning in the room and we think it was so hot because it was above the kitchens due to the presence of several vents next to our window. When we told the receptionist next morning she apologised and informed us that if we complained a fan would have been sent up! Am I missing something? Surely the hotel know about the heat in this room and they should have ensured that a fan was in the room prior to our arrival! The room was clean and the bed reasonably comfortable, the shower worked and there was a TV and tea/coffee facilities. However, I would not stay here again, nor would I recommend it to anyone else and if I had booked for any longer than 1 night I would have left and found somewhere else!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed for one night in July due to a wedding in the area.

We were given a room at the front of the hotel, upon checking in we realised we were right next door to reception. This proved to be the noisiest location in the hotel, also walls are paper thin and we were next door to a family with a young child of which we could hear EVERY movement. No air con in the rooms on what was the hottest day of the year so far. All this meant that a good night's sleep was NOT had!

The hotel layout is confusing witht the signs to our bedroom pointing to the opposite direction to which it is in!

After the wedding ended at 12am we made our way to the residents bar (12.30am by this time). Realised this isn't a typical residents bar as the staff were not willing to "stay up". We had one drink and ordered a round of toast. The round of toast (2 pieces between 4 people) cost £5.00!!

Check in/Check out was slow. Staff didnt seem to enjoy their jobs. Didn't expect this from a Macdonald hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the front of the hotel
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Cumbria England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Booked the hotel last minute and was offered an executive room which was excellent and comfortable and very clean, Despite the room being at the front of the hotel and near a main road and motorway noise was very very minimal
The hotel is lovely and clean Throughout. Staff were very welcoming and polite. I would stay here again but only on a room only basis. The service in the restaurant let the hotel down. I f you want a meal quickly I would eat elsewhere. the standard of the food doesn't warrant the price paid for. My advise if you want a steak don't order the skewer's at £14 50 for 5 small pieces of cubed steak and 7 chips in the basket. My husband was still hungry after the meal however we were given a discount on a bottle of wine as compensation. It would be worth paying the taxi fare to go into Preston £6-£7 each way. Had to wait over 40 minutes for the cooked breakfast, staff looked flustered and over worked. Shop close by to the hotel is very handy for snacks etc. Drink and snacks at the hotel are on the pricey side.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Samlesbury
The BEST WESTERN PLUS Samlesbury Hotel
#4 of 15 in Preston
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Preston East Hotel
Premier Inn Preston Central Hotel

Been to Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel? Share your experiences!