“Very nice hotel, just look past the exterior!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel

Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Samlesbury
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Very nice hotel, just look past the exterior!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

On arrival, it looks a bit old, tired and right next to the motorway / service station, we wondered what we had booked.
But having read reviews we were confident, and as soon as you enter your in an environment you expect from a Macdonald hotel!
Nice rooms, very nice bar / restaurant & bar area
Would definitely stay again in passing.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
robin_ford, General Manager at Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following a recent stay at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

We are pleased you had a great stay and would stay again in the near future.

We have invested heavily in the hotel, primarily on the ground floor areas to the tune of around £1m. True to our commitment in continuous improvement and investment in our hotels, the next planned phase is a renovation to the exterior which will start in October.

I sincerely hope on your next visit the exterior will have been completed and you will note a considerable improvement.

Remember, always book direct for the best rates, guaranteed!

E: robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Bury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I visited the restaurant on sunday night with a friend and ordered a T Bone steak as it sounded delicious. It arrived and I could not believe my eyes. I was hungry so ate the fillet and a little of the Sirloin. I then took a couple of pictures and waited to complain, really i should have taken the photos as the steak was whole. I complained about the size of the steak in view of the fact I was paying £28 for it and it should have been at least 12 oz pre cooked weight.. It was at best 10 mm thick at its thickest and down to about 5 mm. I awaited feedback from the customer liaison officer Lisa and today spoke to her. I have now also spoken to the manager.They are speaking to their suppliers and yes there has been a problem with sizes. I asked to know what the minimum weight is and will be told within the hour. This steak was around 6 0z in weight. Utterly disgraceful. Do not bother if you are going for a steak. I am a Butcher so really do know what i am talking about.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Butcher663
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to Scottish Steak Club.

I was bitterly disappointed that you didn’t enjoy the T Bone steak and hoped I made this evident when we spoke about the matter on the phone.

I admit we did have a problem with the weight of our T Bone steaks (being too small) and as I highlighted to you when we spoke, we immediately removed the T-Bone steaks from our menu and I subsequently immediately addressed the issue with our beef supplier.

The correct weight T Bone steaks are now in place and I have continued to do periodic weight checks to ensure a similar situation does not arise again.

I hope that despite the issue with the weight of the steak you enjoyed the quality of the meat and the overall experience.

We appreciate your knowledge and skill as butcher and thank you for bringing the matter to our attention and discussing it at length with me over the phone so the relevant action could be taken.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Have been staying at the TT 3-5 nights/week since 11th July. Easy access to hotel from motorway, buig plus . Front of House: very warm welcome particularly Abul, goes the extra mile. Guest Relations Manager Lisa very customer focused, big plus. Waiting and bar team a credit to Robin & Anthony, particularly Klaudia, great service, v.professional team leader(moving up soon I expect). Thanks to all

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stays at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

It’s always encouraging to hear such satisfaction from our guests and in particular the personal recognition of Lisa and Klaudia, I have shared your feedback with them both this afternoon.

Thank you once again and we hope we can welcome you back again very soon!

Remember; book direct for the best rates guaranteed!

Regards,

bedford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Having to take my invalid mother outside in the rain to gain access to her disabled room was ridiculous. They managed to mess up breakfast orders up two days running. Then only offered to discount it rather than waive it. The place is expensive for what it is. The staff work hard to compensate for things. The rooms are hot and there is no air conditioning. We held a family 40th birthday there and the venue and service was good. Would I go back there? No. Used to use the hotel 20 plus years ago and it desperately needs management to get a grip. We watched a coach pull up into the service station next door and the passengers ran into the car park to pee up against the fence. Shoddy!

Room Tip: Motorway drone ever present.
1 Thank nickmBedford
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I am pleased you enjoyed the recent 40th birthday dinner and celebrations.

I am sorry that you and your mother didn’t enjoy your stay. All of our ground floor rooms for those guests that require flat level access need to be accessed via the outside, unfortunately whilst we have made many accessibility improvements to the property due to the design and age of the building there are a few small stairs needed to gain access internally to these rooms, I apologise that you were unnecessarily inconvenienced as a result.

We appreciate that given the warmer weather of late some of our rooms have been a little warmer, none of our bedrooms offer air conditioning nor do we advertise this. For your convenience we do offer fans and I have ensured this week we make relevant purchases to ensure we have adequate supplies.

Further bedroom investment will ensure air conditioning is installed.

I am sorry you didn’t enjoy breakfast and our team were mistaken with your order on both days, I have discussed this at length with my breakfast team and breakfast chef this morning.

Unfortunately I cannot be held responsible for passing cars behaviour but nonetheless disappointed that you and your mother were witness to this.

I am genuinely sorry you didn’t have an enjoyable experience at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

Kendal, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed last night after trip to blackpool air show, looked forward to menu described on internet. Promoted as 'quality food to inspire'. Firstly, all day sunday roast, only served till 3, even though all tables advertise 'all day'. Lounge menu and restaurant menu dishes are the same but differ in price. Restaurant menu £1 less!! Even the waiter, who was suitable embarrassed, was confused by this. We ordered a 'Prime burger and hand cut chips' , and a pizza to share for the 2 kids. The quantity of this approx. 160g burger (5/6oz) and 6/7 chips in a metal pot , served with a small ramekin of coleslaw, did not warrant the cost of £11.50. The pizza was completely burnt on the base, to the point where you could smell it, and inedible. The waiter kindly removed it and returned with a un-burnt one 15 mins later, at which point they had lost their appetite . Breakfast was fractionally better, but cooked to order - NOT. Scrambled eggs where cold, bacon folded during cooking hence hard. On the plus side, plenty of variety, and plenty of waiting on staff , even though they never cleared any item from our table and we stacked it up in a corner. We were very disappointed with MacDonald Hotels as they did not deliver what the promote.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I am disappointed you didn’t have an enjoyable stay or experience. Please contact me personally as I would like to discuss your comments in greater detail.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Booked in for one night as it looked lovey on the website, all was fine till we arrived!!! I had booked a family room which was TINY, the windows are locked shut so we had no air, four people in a just about double room.......no good, and it was like a furnace. We went down for a drink and unfortunately there was a full on fist fight going on in the lobby....back to the room!!!! We had a hot, sticky, uncomfortable night and changed our plans for next day and just got out as soon as we were up. Pity really as the staff were lovely and very helpful, it was the hotel, the rooms and it's general feel that made it a poor stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay at Macdonald Tickled Trout.

I am disappointed you didn’t have an enjoyable stay or experience. I will contact you directly to discuss your comments in further detail.

home
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We had a great time here. The staff were excellent especially Lisa. Many thank for all your help. The food was very good and the staff made our party go with a swing and no request was too much. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Lovely rooms overlooking the river
      Sleep Quality
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent event.

I am very pleased that you found the event to be enjoyable and my team (especially Lisa) to be excellent. I am glad that no request was too much and we catered to every need to make your event truly memorable.

Come back soon!

E: robin.ford@macdonald-hotels.co.uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Samlesbury
The BEST WESTERN PLUS Samlesbury Hotel
#5 of 15 in Preston
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Preston East Hotel
Premier Inn Preston Central Hotel

Been to Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel? Share your experiences!