“Let down by dining experience”

Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Samlesbury
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Just stayed for a night, booked online fairly cheap, arrived to a rather strange reception idea consisting of a large table with staff behind, checked in all good, walked to room on the spongiest carpet ive ever felt, not a bad thing, entered room which seemed almost brand new, clean and fresh, for the money well worth it, decided i needed a little snack so headed to the bar again very well presented, had a nice pint then it went down hill for me, ordered a burger and chips, guess it was trying to bistro style but fell well short, for £12 yes £12 it was more like a home made burger in a cheap bun. Breakfast was ordered on checkin for £10 each so i expected a great breakfast, here again it went down hill, cereal was fine, coffee bearly warm, cheap bacon and one sausage, spoon full of beans, rock hard fried slice, not in my opinion worth any more than £3. Im no chef but i cook and much better breakfast and a blackpool sea front burger would of been better.
To sum up this hotel is clean, fresh and very presentable, nice bar, free wifi and clean almost new room decor, the food for me let it down, o a £5 room service charge didnt go down to well either.
Would i stay again? Most definitely but unfortunately would have to eat else where.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank auggloop
Sophie_Riches, Hospitality Manager at Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear auggloop,

Thank you for staying with us at Samlesbury Hotel and taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. Your comments and honesty are invaluable to us.
Whilst I am happy you found the hotel clean, fresh and very presentable, I appreciate your feedback on dinner and Breakfast.
We have already taken corrective action to ensure our guests have the best possible stay with us and have addressed the breakfast offering.
Please accept our most sincere apology and we hope that we are able to restore your faith in Samlesbury Hotel by welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I booked afternoon tea with a voucher from Amazon local for myself & my elderly Mum. Unfortunately I became ill & had to cancel it twice.The staff were so nice each time I phoned & nothing was too much trouble to re schedule. I purchased another voucher so that my husband could drive us there & also join us. As soon as we entered the hotel we were greeted by very friendly helpful staff. In the beautiful restaurant I told the staff of our dietery requirements & nothing was too much trouble. We all thoroughly enjoyed the bubbly & afternoon tea. The scones were delicious, so light. The hotel is beautiful, very modern. The manager should be proud of his lovely staff.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan L

Dear Susan L,

We are extremely proud of our staff at Samlesbury Hotel and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your afternoon tea and found all the staff friendly and helpful. We constantly endeavour to surpass our guest’s expectations of service. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

We hope to welcome you soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Excellent bed,free WiFi,very helpful and friendly staff and the food was very good !
Not a lot else to say !
Unfortunately the hotel's overall rating suffers as a result of it's previous life as a Swallow hotel. I stayed in the Swallow hotel & its chalk & cheese compared to the Samlesbury.
I've now stayed here (The Samlesbury) twice for business and enjoyed both stays,also it is ideally situated for BAE Systems Samlesbury. Top place I'll be back !

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank shunko
Sophie_Riches, Hospitality Manger at Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear shunko,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor for your recent stay at Samlesbury Hotel. Your comments were a pleasure to read and I am pleased to hear that you find the accommodation comfortable, staff friendly and food good.
I will be sure to pass on your kind words to my team. I hope we have the to welcome you back to the Hotel soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I took my mum here today for afternoon tea with a voucher from deal monster, it was absolutely lovely, really nice room with a lovely atmosphere, food was very nice, finger sandwiches, little quiche cakes, scones with jam & cream, and a glass of champers, the waitress was very attentive and asked us if we'd like tea too, what a lovely little treat we loved it, thank you :-)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank rebeccabanister

Dear rebeccabanister,

Thank you for your glowing review and for taking the time to share your experience at Samlesbury Hotel.
I am delighted that you had the opportunity to experience our Afternoon Tea. Your feedback is a huge encouragement to all of the team here and we appreciate your kind comments.

We hope to welcome you back to Samlesbury Hotel soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The hotel is very modern and the decor in keeping with this theme. Bedrooms are really comfy but they are on the cool side. Nice large flat screen TV. Food was nice but a little disappointed that the poached pears didn't come with the advertised hot chocolate sauce and the fruit platter at breakfast didn't come with the advertised yoghurt. Also I wouldn't advise paying the flat of £10 for breakfast as unless you have the full English the breakfast will come to less than £10. Staff friendly just needs a little more attention to detail.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear seatleon100,

Whilst I am happy you found the décor and bedrooms nice, I appreciate your feedback on dinner and breakfast. I do apologise for the lack of chocolate sauce with the pears and absence of yogurt with the fruit at breakfast. We have already taken corrective action to ensure our guests have the possible stay with us.
We hope we can restore your faith in Samlesbury Hotel and we appreciate your feedback.

Hospitality Manger

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Visited last week for afternoon tea. The hotel has recently been given a facelift and looks lovely. We sat in the comfortable lounge area and had a selection of sandwiches, cakes and scones with a couple of savory pastries and a glass of champagne.

Overall a very relaxing and enjoyable afternoon

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JoolieBoo
Sophie_Riches, Hospitality Manager at Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear JoolieBoo,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor for your recent Afternoon Tea at Samlesbury Hotel. Your comments were a pleasure to read and I am pleased to hear you like the Hotels new look.
I will be sure to pass on your kind words to my team and i hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband bought an afternoon tea voucher for two which we recently used. Afternoon tea for me about having a treat and a little bit of luxury. Things started well at the Samlesbury Hotel, it's clearly been refurbished recently and the receptionist was welcoming and friendly. We were welcomed and seated and served a nice glass of champagne, which we both enjoyed.

When the afternoon tea platter arrived I have to admit we were both really disappointed. 3 small finger sandwiches each, a small cheese flan canape, half a vegetarian sausage thing and on the bottom shelf two small bits of sponge cake, a scone and a macaroon. The sandwiches were ok I suppose and the cakes were quite nice but nothing particularly special.

The oddest thing about it as that we had to ask the waiting staff for a pot of tea. I see other reviewers had to do this too and that the hotels standard response says that staff are suppose to inform you that you should ask for your tea when you are ready. At no point were we told to ask our waitress for tea when we were ready. I've also never been for an afternoon tea where you haven't been offered more sandwiches, given that there were only 3 small finger sandwiches on the plate (ie not even 2 slices of bread per person) this felt a bit miserly. When I did ask the waitress if we could have more sandwiches she looked horrified and said only if you pay for them. Bizarre. I came home and looked at the hotels website and on the afternoon tea pictures there are more than 3 finger sandwiches per person. I very much get the impression that this is probably a watered down version of what you'd get if you walked off the street and paid £33.95 per couple and I felt as if were second class because we were on a voucher.

It's a shame really because the place has a nice feel and the diners who were having lunch and not afternoon tea looked as if they were enjoying their food. Sorry to say I don't think I'll be heading back - there are much nicer afternoon teas for the same price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AnneB32

Dear AnneB32,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our Afternoon Tea at Samlesbury Hotel.
I was disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your experience, and I would like to apologise sincerely. We have already taken corrective action to ensure all guests are made aware that we do not wish to rush them, in doing so we let them take their time over their champagne and ask them to request their tea or coffee when they are ready.
We appreciate your feedback and comments and once again, please accept our most sincere apology. Please do contact me at the Hotel on 01772 868000 or email me directly at hospitality@samlesburyhotel.co.uk as we very much wish to restore your faith in Samlesbury Hotel.

Hospitality Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samlesbury
Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel
Preston Marriott Hotel
Barton Grange Hotel
Barton Grange Hotel
#4 of 15 in Preston

Been to Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel? Share your experiences!