“Nice, but....!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Samlesbury
England, United Kingdom
“Nice, but....!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Bought a voucher for afternoon tea for myself and my husband as a belated 18th wedding anniversary treat. The restaurant and bar area are lovely, very contemporary in design and inviting. We were halfheartedly greeted by a member of staff behind the bar who told us to go through to the restaurant area. We were then shown to our table by a dark haired waitress who looked completely fed up. A huge comparison to the couple who were being shown to a nearby table by a blonde waitress who couldn't have been more helpful, she explained the order the food would arrive in and chatted in a friendly manner to her guests. Our champagne arrived and eventually so did the cakes and sandwiches. Our waitress disappeared quickly as we checked out the sandwich fillings. As I have an egg allergy I had emailed the hotel in advance to ask for egg free vegetarian sandwiches. I was fully aware that I wouldn't be able to eat any of the cakes or scones, however I did expect to be able to eat at least a sandwich. We called the waitress back over to the table and explained the situation. Pointing to an egg mayonnaise sandwich she asked can you not eat that! Reluctantly she said she would ask the chief if it was OK to make up some 'special' sandwiches for me. I was rather upset by this as I had made the effort to contact the hotel in advance. My 'special sandwiches' arrived and they were very nice, shame they didn't get the order right first time, however, the main problem was the attitude of the waitress. We finished our drinks in the bar area and the service in there was far better than in the restaurant. I would return and I would recommend, I think I was just a bit unlucky getting a waitress having a bad day!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NS57
Sophie_Riches, Hospitality Manager at The BEST WESTERN PLUS Samlesbury Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear NS57,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review from your recent Afternoon Tea at Samlesbury Hotel.
I was disappointed to learn that your experienced issues regarding your dietary requirements. We have already taken corrective action to ensure our guests have the best possible experience with us and ensure that any requirements and requests are highlighted.
We will also address the issue regarding the staff. As you can see from various other comments we are praised highly on our friendly and helpful staff and we constantly endeavour to surpass our guest’s expectations of service.
Once again, please accept our most sincere apology and I hope that on your return visit we are able to restore your faith in Samlesbury Hotel.

Hospitality Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Polish first
Rotherham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

A very smartly presented hotel, the grounds are well looked after with loads of parking. The reception area set out very different and pleasantly informal.

The staff were very polite, helpfull and professional and check in was swift and well organised.

The rooms are very quiet and well laid out with all you need, a large shower with a decent shower to maintain the temperature with no cold shocks.

The bar area and restaurant are just off reception with good seating and benefits from a well stocked bar.

The staff here and in the restaurant are also very friendly and professional.

The food is of a good standard with reasonable choice and value for money.

The nights sleep was good in the warm and cosy room and the bed was just right as I didn't wake with a body full of aches and pains.

Breakfast the next morning comprised of the best selection I have seen in any establishment.

Cold continental meats and cheeses, cereals and cooked to order breakfasts of ant combination.

A fantastic stay and would deginately go back again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Paul B
Dear Paul B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Samlesbury Hotel.
I am delighted that you found all our staff helpful and friendly and I am trilled to hear that our breakfast has the best selection you have seen in any establishment.
Your feedback is a huge encouragement to all of the team here and we appreciate your kind comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Samlesbury Hotel.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just enjoyed a champagne afternoon tea for our first anniversary, which we received as a gift. The young lady who served us was friendly and made sure we were well looked after. A very enjoyable experience!!

• Stayed May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AndieDealing
Dear AndieDealing,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor for your recent Afternoon Tea at Samlesbury Hotel. Your comments were a pleasure to read and I am thrilled to hear you had an enjoyable experience.
I will be sure to pass on your kind words to my team. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Bed linen was shocking. Enough said. We were efficiently allocated another room and offered a bottle of wine. Staff were friendly enough. Cleanliness an issue as were the dust mites. If you are looking to treat yourself and not be disappointed go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rhondaponda
Sophie_Riches, Hospitality Manager at The BEST WESTERN PLUS Samlesbury Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear rhondaponda,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. I was disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am aware of the issue you encountered in regards to the bedrooms as I swiftly moved your room and brought you complimentary drinks for your inconvenience.
We will certainly be investigating your comments and summary of your experience as this is not the level of service we strive to deliver and we are sorry if this detracted from your stay in any way.
Once again, please accept our most sincere apology, we hope that we are able to restore your faith in Samlesbury Hotel and we appreciate your feedback and comments.

Chester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

had a great time on the dinner bed and breakfast package £99 hotel clean and well presented.. the stay was made even better by kathryn and megan who couldnt do enough for me and the girlfriend ... will be back thanks girls

3 Thank Chestertweets
Dear Chestertweets,

We are extremely proud of our staff at Samlesbury Hotel and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We constantly endeavour to surpass our guest’s expectations of service. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.
We hope to welcome you back for another stay soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Just stayed for a night, booked online fairly cheap, arrived to a rather strange reception idea consisting of a large table with staff behind, checked in all good, walked to room on the spongiest carpet ive ever felt, not a bad thing, entered room which seemed almost brand new, clean and fresh, for the money well worth it, decided i needed a little snack so headed to the bar again very well presented, had a nice pint then it went down hill for me, ordered a burger and chips, guess it was trying to bistro style but fell well short, for £12 yes £12 it was more like a home made burger in a cheap bun. Breakfast was ordered on checkin for £10 each so i expected a great breakfast, here again it went down hill, cereal was fine, coffee bearly warm, cheap bacon and one sausage, spoon full of beans, rock hard fried slice, not in my opinion worth any more than £3. Im no chef but i cook and much better breakfast and a blackpool sea front burger would of been better.
To sum up this hotel is clean, fresh and very presentable, nice bar, free wifi and clean almost new room decor, the food for me let it down, o a £5 room service charge didnt go down to well either.
Would i stay again? Most definitely but unfortunately would have to eat else where.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank auggloop
Dear auggloop,

Thank you for staying with us at Samlesbury Hotel and taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. Your comments and honesty are invaluable to us.
Whilst I am happy you found the hotel clean, fresh and very presentable, I appreciate your feedback on dinner and Breakfast.
We have already taken corrective action to ensure our guests have the best possible stay with us and have addressed the breakfast offering.
Please accept our most sincere apology and we hope that we are able to restore your faith in Samlesbury Hotel by welcoming you back.

Northwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I booked afternoon tea with a voucher from Amazon local for myself & my elderly Mum. Unfortunately I became ill & had to cancel it twice.The staff were so nice each time I phoned & nothing was too much trouble to re schedule. I purchased another voucher so that my husband could drive us there & also join us. As soon as we entered the hotel we were greeted by very friendly helpful staff. In the beautiful restaurant I told the staff of our dietery requirements & nothing was too much trouble. We all thoroughly enjoyed the bubbly & afternoon tea. The scones were delicious, so light. The hotel is beautiful, very modern. The manager should be proud of his lovely staff.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Susan L
Dear Susan L,

We are extremely proud of our staff at Samlesbury Hotel and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your afternoon tea and found all the staff friendly and helpful. We constantly endeavour to surpass our guest’s expectations of service. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

We hope to welcome you soon.

Hospitality Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Samlesbury
Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel
#6 of 15 in Preston
Barton Grange Hotel
Barton Grange Hotel
#5 of 15 in Preston

Been to The BEST WESTERN PLUS Samlesbury Hotel? Share your experiences!