“Wonderful afternoon tea”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Samlesbury
tommypip
“Wonderful afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I started a 3 day break in Lytham for our wedding anniversary with a champagne afternoon tea here en route.

I am addicted to afternoon teas, both full price and voucher deals, and can honestly say this is one of the nicest I have ever had (my reviews have details of many of the others).

This was a bargain! The hotel looks stunning, lounge bar looks like something in Vegas (The Hotel at Mandalay bay kind of décor) and the staff are excellent.

I am a fussy veggie and hard to please, but not here. There was a mini cheese tart each, a cheese twist, beautiful sandwiches, lovely scones, and 2 pieces of cake each plus a macaroon each. A glass of a lovely light prosecco, and tea or coffee.

I will be telling everyone about this place as I was very impressed.

Lots of parking.

10/10. Will be back.

2 Thank seahorsesparkle
Sophie_Riches, Hospitality Manager at The BEST WESTERN PLUS Samlesbury Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear seahorsesparkle,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor for your recent Afternoon Tea at Samlesbury Hotel. Your comments were a pleasure to read and I am thrilled to hear that you found it to be 'one of the nicest I have ever had'. Thank you for the high praise and the score of 10/10.
I will be sure to pass on your kind words to my team and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel soon.

Hospitality Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Went here for an overnight stay as it was my wife's birthday. We got a deal for £79 to include breakfast and a three course evening meal for two. Unbelievable. The room was spacious, spotless, a large comfy bed with a Nespresso machine with coffees as well as teas and instant coffee. The hotel itself was very good and the three course meal was excellent. The price of this alone was £19.95 on the menu and we also got a drink of our choice with the meal. Breakfast was served freshly made with a choice of fresh fruit including watermelon,orange and grapefruit segments, cereals, etc. Absolutely wonderful. The staff were very attentive and I would not hesitate to go back.

2 Thank Michael K
Dear Michael K,

I was delighted to read your recent review on Tripadvisor, Thank you for taking the time to post this review about your recent stay with us. I am glad that you found the evening meal to be excellent, Breakfast wonderful and the hotel bedrooms spacious and spotless.
I will be sure to pass on your praise and kind comments to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Samlesbury Hotel.

preston lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

i treated a friend to afternoon tea offer and for £7-50p per person we had a wonderful tea, we couldnt eat it all, and great service, we will be going back the hotel has had a fantastic make over, and all the staff i met where very friendly and welcoming

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ladyk46
Dear ladyk46,

Thank you for your glowing review of the afternoon tea you enjoyed at Samlesbury Hotel.
I was trilled to hear that you found all the staff to be friendly and helpful and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to my team.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

My other half and I decided on the Samlesbury Hotel for our anniversary treat. We booked a deal via LivingSocial but later discovered that the TravelZoo package is better value for money. We stayed for one night on Saturday 21st June.

We arrived around 4pm after a very easy drive from Liverpool. The location of the hotel is fantastic - very easy to find. There is also free parking which is great.

We went to check in and were greeted with a very modern check in desk which was more like a bar with chairs. Numerous staff members were available to check guests in via laptops which made check in very efficient and fuss free.

Arriving at our room (123), we opened the door to the familiar smell of newness. Think the same smell you would get in a show house! We didn't see the hotel in its former state, but the refurbishment looks fantastic and has been very well done.
The room was slightly on the small side but perfectly fine. The décor is stylish and modern and we had a lovely view outside of an open meadow.

We were pleased to see we had a full sized iron and hair dryer, tea and coffee making facilities and toiletries in the bathroom. Everything we could need - except a fridge and some bottled water in the room. We had brought our own bottle of wine so requested an ice bucket and some glasses - these were brought to us almost instantaneously. Brilliant!

Unfortunately, our room didn't have air conditioning which I feel it should have being on the ground floor. I wouldn't feel safe leaving the window open all night and it got quite stuffy as it was a warm evening. Plus the window exterior was full of cobwebs and I wouldn't let my other half open the window as I am terrified of spiders!

We had booked our evening meal for 7.30pm and were seated straight away. It would seem that guests on a package deal are segregated from the main diners, but we didn't really mind.
As we were on the LivingSocial package, we were given a set menu to choose from. However, guests on the TravelZoo package were able to choose from both the set menu as well as the regular menu up to a certain amount. They also got a glass of prosecco which we didn't.

The restaurant is very comfortable and beautifully decorated. The staff were also very well presented and polite which is great.
For starters, I ordered the king prawn cocktail and my other half had the vegetable soup. Both were lovely although the king prawn cocktail only had one tempura king prawn and wasn't composed entirely of them.
For mains we both had the slow cooked rib beef pie. Again, this was lovely and very hearty.
For dessert, I had the passion fruit cheesecake and my other half had the bread and butter pudding. The cheesecake was OK, but the passion fruit topping was very jelly like and I wasn't too keen on that. I peeled the jelly off the top and ate most of the biscuit and the middle layer.
The only thing that could use improvement is the time it takes for dirty plates to be taken away. We were sitting for quite a while between courses with them on the table.
Also not sure I would pay £25 for three courses from the set menu. We were happy enough with the meal as part of the package but I find that to be very expensive for such a small choice.

When it came to bedding down for the night, I had a lovely sleep, however my other half found the bed to be too hard. I also banged my arms on the bedside table whilst turning over a few times as they are placed right next to the bed.

When we went for breakfast on the Sunday morning, there was a sign up stating that breakfast would be buffet style as there was a technical problem in the kitchen.
My other half asked a member of staff and she told us that some of the appliances weren't working. We didn't mind as we are used to self serve breakfast at hotels.

We would definitely stay at the Samlesbury again and have recommended it to family and friends. If you like travelling on packages, definitely go for the TravelZoo package rather than LivingSocial as you get a few little extras and a bit more flexibility. I have uploaded some pictures of the room and the food to give a better view of our stay.

Thank you to staff for a wonderful stay - we hope to be back soon!

1 Thank SapphireGrey
Dear SapphireGrey,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review from your recent stay at Samlesbury Hotel.
Whilst I am happy you found the overall experience lovely I appreciate your feedback regarding the Wi-Fi and the air-conditioning in the rooms. Our Wi-Fi issue is being resolved in a matter of weeks with high speed fibre optic broadband and although non of our rooms have air-conditioning we do have fans available on request for those hot evenings.
I was pleased to read that you would return and we look forward to welcoming you back to Samlesbury Hotel.

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Decor in reception areas very tasteful and upmarket. Gorgeous! The food was fantastic. The bedroom let it down. All new and fancy but The phone wasn't working, nor the free wifi in the room. No aircon (and it was very hot). Mattresses uncomfortable. Cheap duvets and linen. One bed had not been properly made up and the dirty duvet cover had just been turned over to show clean side up. It was changed quickly but we were exhausted and longing for a good nights rest - we didn't get it! More attention to beds/linen/air would make it a beautiful place to stop over to break a long trip

Room Tip: Great for business people as short stop over ... Or, holiday makers en-route somewhere, to break th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sophie_Riches, Hospitality Manager at The BEST WESTERN PLUS Samlesbury Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Lyn D,

Thank you for staying with us at Samlesbury Hotel and taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.
Whilst I am pleased you found the hotel refurbishment tasteful and upmarket and the food fantastic, I am disappointed not all aspects of your stay were positive. Firstly I apologise that the phone was not working in you room, I shall ensure this is rectified, and that the Wi-Fi was not functioning. We are currently experiencing some slight issues regarding the Wi-Fi connection which will be rectified in the next few weeks. Unfortunately the Hotel has no air-conditioning but we do have a supply of fans at Reception which are available on request.
Finally I do apologise about the linen on one of your beds. This is certainly not the level of service we aim to deliver but I am glad to hear that the staff rectified your issue immediately.
I do hope we can welcome you back to Samlesbury Hotel to restore your faith in us.

Chorley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Attended the Samlesbury Hotel on Saturday for afternoon tea.The Hotel itself is spacious and inviting.We approached a staff member on arrival who escorted us to our table in the dining room.

After a minute or so two glasses of bubbly arrived.(chilled & refreshing).Even though it tasted like a Milanese prosecco it hit the spot and was great.

Soon after this our sandwiches and cakes arrived.There was a mixture of sandwiches with the corners removed and a mixture of cakes.There was also a mini quiche and another type of savoury.All in all it was a great plate of food.

We both ordered coffee which arrived in double quick time.The scones were beautiful and the cream and jam basically nailed it.The atmosphere was quiet yet subtle.All in all a pleasurable experience.

I am sure that the bubbly is not Crystal champagne but never the less it was crisp and had a hint of sweetness possibly demi -sec.For the price of our voucher it was well worth the money in my view.Secondly the sandwiches were chilled and wholesome.This is one of the best afternoon teas I have had and for the price I think it was well worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brian H
Dear Brian H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Samlesbury Hotel.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea and was thrilled to read that you found this to be one of the best afternoon teas and it was well worth the price.
Your feedback is a huge encouragement to all of the team here and we appreciate your kind comments.

Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

If you are planning to drive from Scotland to London, this is a very good option.
I would recommend this hotel, for a good 'pit stop'.
Similar to a 'good premier inn', but will soon have a pool etc.

As you will have gathered by the hotel description, it has just been refurbished, so everything feels nice and clean.
Staff friendly, especially the b-fast waitress who has been there for over 4 years. Nothing was too much trouble.

I booked through Booking.com and thought it included b-fast, but had to pay another £10 on top.
WiFi advertised in rooms, but there were a few issues, not a big deal I guess as lounge connection was fine. However, it was part of the reason I selected the hotel, as I had work to do in the evening.

I personally enjoy a relaxing bath when I'm staying in a hotel, but the rooms do have a lovely double size shower. Excellent 40" TV on wall. Bed king and very comfortable.

If you book through the website you will be able to get a 10% loyalty discount.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear JillyBeanScotland,

Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor. I was happy to read that as a whole you enjoyed your stay with us. I do appreciate the comments regarding our Wi-Fi as it currently is a little temperamental but this issue is to be rectified in the next few weeks with our new fibre optic broadband being installed.

We hope you welcome you back to Samlesbury Hotel in the near future.

Hospitality Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Samlesbury
Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel
#6 of 15 in Preston
Barton Grange Hotel
Barton Grange Hotel
#5 of 15 in Preston

Been to The BEST WESTERN PLUS Samlesbury Hotel? Share your experiences!