Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel
  • Restaurant
US$91
US$82
Priceline
Premier Inn Preston Central Hotel(Preston)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$74
US$77
Ashwood Hotel(Preston)
US$70
All reviewschampagne afternoon teatravelzoo dealclub roomnespresso machinesamlesbury hallswallow hotelon arrivalgreat showerfamily weddingfunction roomlovely hotelevening mealbar areathird floorone night stayan overnight staybuffet style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2014

me and my wife booked a night here off group on for £79 including one nights stay a 3 course evening meal with a glass of prosecco and breakfast, hotels just off a dual carraigeway my sat nav of the postcode stopped me a bit early carry on about 300 yards and its on your left, first impressions were very good looks like its been recently done up to a high standard, we had a couple of drinks in the bar average hotel prices, they do a lot of afternoon tea with cakes etc which looked nice and is a good idea to get people in, we stayed in room 311 which is on the 3rd floor i think it was a premium room as there was a sign at check in saying upgrade to the 3rd floor premium rooms for £20 but we got one anyway which was good, big 40" telly coffee maker slippers and housecoats plenty of nice little unexpected extras,
dinner was good not the best we have ever had but by far not the worst they are small portions so if your a big eater after a 3 course you still might be starving, breakfast was also good with a good choice,
not much around the hotel within walking distance (well not what we found anyway), all the staff were very polite and extra professional my only negative comment was they keep bringing up group on like, check in it was oh your group on and dinner was "can i have your room number", "yes its 311", "oh yes here we are 311 your groupon yes this way please" dont know if its because we were on a different menu but i just think it shouldnt need mentioning, all in all a good little break would go again if it was on offer well worth what we paid it would of cost more for a taxi into manchester and a meal so great value

3  Thank kelljoe112
Sophie_Riches, Hospitality Manager at Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear protools,

Thank you for your positive review of your stay with us at Samlesbury Hotel.
I was pleased to read that you found your stay enjoyable, breakfast to offer a good selection and the staff to be polite and professional.
I was disappointed to read that you found the portion sizes slightly smaller that you wished and that you found our staff mentioning the deal you were on to be unnecessary. We only do this upon check in to confirmed with you as we require the voucher and it is also confirmed in the restaurant to ensure the correct menu is offered to our guests.
Your comments and feedback will be taken on board as we constantly endeavour to surpass our guest’s expectations of service.
We look forward to welcoming you to Samlesbury Hotel.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Mrs HJ is an addicted Afternoon Tea goer... and you'll see one or two other such reports in my historical chronicles.

Having read some of the other reviews here for afternoon tea at this establishment, I'm afraid we may have been unlucky and visited on a day when there had been a death in the kitchen - of everyone who had even the faintest knowledge of food.

Either that or you have to wonder who is in fact writing positive reviews about this establishment.

There were just 8 other people on the Sunday afternoon around 4pm, with a plethora of nice places to sit. We were shown to a table right next to a group of loud ladies having a lot of fun. I asked to sit at a more comfortable table and were obliged, though the staff member made the point she would have to make the table up.

Between our table and the next, the carpet looked as though it was the victim of two clans at war who had been having a food fight.

The champagne was NOT champagne. It was a warm and very very sweet prosecco, inappropriate for the occasion.

When we checked in Mrs. HJ informed the receptionist she was a vegetarian, the lady said she would inform the kitchen, yet fish and meat sandwiches arrived - she was not amused.

What was amusing was the fact the cake stand was removed to the kitchen and returned some time later with replacement vegetarian fingers of bread with the filings falling out. Looked like the left overs from a some down market club bash buffet.

Sandwiches - well not really. They were two small slices of bread, de-crusted, and sliced into fingers with the thinnest of filling. We were provided with 2 very small squares of cake (lemon drizzle was very good) and a mini chocolate éclair which was okay.

And to the Pièce de résistance - the scone, jam and clotted cream.... It was again pretty small and had obviously been warmed some time ago - so had gone hard and crunchy...

To be honest, Mr. T - the A-Team enforcer with his shoulders laden with gold - would have had more finesse in creating an afternoon tea experience than the mess served up on a fairly presentable modern cake stand...

Further to our irritation, seeing as the Merchant's restaurant was practically empty, attentive service would be at least some saving grace. NOPE, the staff buggered off into the kitchen for most of the time we were there and I had to wait over 5 minutes to order a decent glass of champagne from anyone.... to cleanse my palette from the awful dross the Hotel had served first up.

The tea (to drink) selection appeared most limited - No Lapsang Souchong - so now beaten into submission we downed an Earl Grey and bailed out as quickly as possible.

This week we went for proper afternoon tea in Southport at the Westminster Tea rooms - what a difference.... chalk and stale cheese spring to mind.....

Even for £7.50 - I would rather go to Starbucks than the Samlesbury Hotel - and would certainly get better value for money.

1  Thank A_Huntley_Jacobs
Sophie_Riches, Hospitality Manager at Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear A_Huntley_Jacobs,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review from your recent experience at Samlesbury Hotel.
I was disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your afternoon tea and I would like to apologise sincerely. I was surprised to read your comments as we usually receive extremely high praise from the majority of reviews concerning our afternoon tea offering.
Should you wish to discuss any aspect of your experience at Samlesbury hotel please do feel free to contact me at your convenience as we would very much like to welcome you back and restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Act was ok but the food was very small portions. My 6 yr old grandson would not have a problem eating this size meal. Service waited to long between courses due to not enough staff they pulled the bar staff off to serve the meal. It was a £10.00 meal not what they were charging. I would not go again.
Mr R Hughes

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I started a 3 day break in Lytham for our wedding anniversary with a champagne afternoon tea here en route.

I am addicted to afternoon teas, both full price and voucher deals, and can honestly say this is one of the nicest I have ever had (my reviews have details of many of the others).

This was a bargain! The hotel looks stunning, lounge bar looks like something in Vegas (The Hotel at Mandalay bay kind of décor) and the staff are excellent.

I am a fussy veggie and hard to please, but not here. There was a mini cheese tart each, a cheese twist, beautiful sandwiches, lovely scones, and 2 pieces of cake each plus a macaroon each. A glass of a lovely light prosecco, and tea or coffee.

I will be telling everyone about this place as I was very impressed.

Lots of parking.

10/10. Will be back.

2  Thank seahorsesparkle

Dear seahorsesparkle,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor for your recent Afternoon Tea at Samlesbury Hotel. Your comments were a pleasure to read and I am thrilled to hear that you found it to be 'one of the nicest I have ever had'. Thank you for the high praise and the score of 10/10.
I will be sure to pass on your kind words to my team and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Went here for an overnight stay as it was my wife's birthday. We got a deal for £79 to include breakfast and a three course evening meal for two. Unbelievable. The room was spacious, spotless, a large comfy bed with a Nespresso machine with coffees as well as teas and instant coffee. The hotel itself was very good and the three course meal was excellent. The price of this alone was £19.95 on the menu and we also got a drink of our choice with the meal. Breakfast was served freshly made with a choice of fresh fruit including watermelon,orange and grapefruit segments, cereals, etc. Absolutely wonderful. The staff were very attentive and I would not hesitate to go back.

2  Thank Michael K

Dear Michael K,

I was delighted to read your recent review on Tripadvisor, Thank you for taking the time to post this review about your recent stay with us. I am glad that you found the evening meal to be excellent, Breakfast wonderful and the hotel bedrooms spacious and spotless.
I will be sure to pass on your praise and kind comments to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Samlesbury Hotel.