“* GROUPON DEAL...GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY*”

Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Samlesbury
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Husband and I booked via a Groupon deal and we were pleasantly surprised :).
Nice hotel with friendly professional staff from reception ,waitresses and bar staff.
Rooms of a good standard ...very clean and ours although set at the back had a lovely view.

Food was of average standard and portions small. There was problems in the kitchen when we stayed and so we had to wait a little while ( approx. half an hour after our booking time ) to be seated.

Hot breakfast was off the menu so not the usual buffet style that most hotels seem to have these
days but the cereal , fruit and cold meats where.
Good choice with smoked haddock and kippers along with the usual full English Breakfast.

Plenty of parking spaces and a good location for getting to the Lake District, St Annes/ Blackpool.

2  Thank MAXINE B
Sophie_Riches, Hospitality Manager at Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear MAXINE B,

Thank you for your recent review of you stay at Samlesbury Hotel. I was please to read to positive comments regarding the room standard, choice at breakfast and the hotel staff.
We are extremely proud of our staff at Samlesbury Hotel and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours.I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.
We hope to welcome you back for another stay soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

merchants bar and grill are to be found at the Salmsbury Hotel on the main Blackburn road out of preston lancs.My daughter had given myself and twin sister a voucher for an afternoon champagne tea.Lovely place,but very near a busy main road and aroma of farms ,that are near by.Very nice inside and lovely helpful staff,more than make up for the bussiness of the outside.we were attended to straight away and taken to a lovely table,very noticeable,no windows .We didn't want the champagne and was offered alternatives,we opted for soft drinks.Along came the food on a very pleasant 3 tier cake stand.I have been to several afternoon teas,but am sorry to say ,this was the smallest.Very thin oblong sandwiches,smoked salmon ,egg and ham.very nice ,but tiny.1epp.small ceche,hardly any filling in mine,all pastry.small tart case size.1each.savoury rissole small.1each.half each of a slice of madeira cake,tiny choc eclaire each,half slice each of choc cake.scone each with clotted cream and jam.lovely,but we asked for more cream .very attentive staff.maybe we should have asked for more food.It was very busy and think these vouchers were a special promotion,as everyone else handed them in.So hope if you were paying full price ,the portions would be larger.pleasant afternoon and lovely pot of tea to finnish.Cant fault the staff and their service.

Room Tip: we didn't use the hotel facilities ,just the merchants bar and grill
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank anne1956_13
Sophie_Riches, Hospitality Manager at Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear anne1956_13,

We are extremely proud of our staff at Samlesbury Hotel and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to surpass our guest’s expectations of service. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.
We hope to welcome you back to Samlesbury Hotel soon. #

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Firstly many many thanks to the lovely staff, who have obviously been very well trained in customer service as well as seeming genuinely nice people. What let our stay down was some fundamental organisational problems, and an unfortunate sequence of events. What is hard to forgive is that some of the issues are not new, and reading reviews, they have been mentioned before.
We had major issues with our restaurant meal: there was a problem with burners and oven in the kitchen, and this impacted on the choice of food available, and had obviously caused chaos. Apparently this was the second weekend there had been a power problem. We waited for an hour to get our starter. There was no offer of bread or nibbles, and the drinks took a while. We ordered a bottle of white wine that cost £26 and there was no ice available for the cooler as apparently a function had used up all the supplies. We then had the pressure to drink the wine while it was still cold, but on an empty stomach that was not ideal! The food had several items missing from the various courses, and portions were very small with the exception of the red thai curry.On returning to the room we tried to use the free Wifi only to find (after a failed attempt to use the phone and two trips to reception) that there is an on-going issue at present with connectivity, that the hotel is hoping to resolve soon. We needed a dongle gizmo to use the wifi. It would have been good to know that on check-in.
On a positive note the room was small (classic double) but spotlessly clean. Lovely shower and nice toiletries. Sound proofing seemed very good, and bed was comfortable. Kettle and drinks in room, with two (unheard of!) sachets of hot chocolate.
I can see why the hotel has generally good reviews, and I suspect we were unfortunate: but perhaps staff training needs to extend beyond apologizing profusely to also considering what can be practically done to ensure customers are kept comfortable.
Our experience was listened to, and we received a very appropriate adjustment to the bill and more apologies. I have marked the hotel down, because burners or no burners, I think that we we still have had missing items from the food, small portions, no ice, no wifi....and this needs to be resolved.
By the way: breakfast (with the same staff as on the previous evening...they must have been exhausted but were still smiling) was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sophie_Riches, Hospitality Manager at Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear dominorat,

Thank you for staying with us at Samlesbury Hotel and taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. Your comments and honesty is invaluable to us.
Whilst I am happy you found the staff well trained and the room spotlessly clean, I appreciate your feedback on the dinner service you experienced. Unfortunately we did face some technical issues in the kitchen that were out of the Hotels control on this night in question which resulted in us only being able to provide certain items off the menu. Furthermore, due to the sheer volume of guests this also caused a back log of orders and therefore a wait on any food. I sincerely apologise for this and also that the staff were then not able to provide the usual level of service that we strive to deliver at Samlesbury Hotel.
I am, however, pleased to hear that your experience was listened to and an adjustment made to reflect this and that the staff were delivering the expected level of service at breakfast.
Should you wish to discuss any aspect of your stay at the hotel please do feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

me and my wife booked a night here off group on for £79 including one nights stay a 3 course evening meal with a glass of prosecco and breakfast, hotels just off a dual carraigeway my sat nav of the postcode stopped me a bit early carry on about 300 yards and its on your left, first impressions were very good looks like its been recently done up to a high standard, we had a couple of drinks in the bar average hotel prices, they do a lot of afternoon tea with cakes etc which looked nice and is a good idea to get people in, we stayed in room 311 which is on the 3rd floor i think it was a premium room as there was a sign at check in saying upgrade to the 3rd floor premium rooms for £20 but we got one anyway which was good, big 40" telly coffee maker slippers and housecoats plenty of nice little unexpected extras,
dinner was good not the best we have ever had but by far not the worst they are small portions so if your a big eater after a 3 course you still might be starving, breakfast was also good with a good choice,
not much around the hotel within walking distance (well not what we found anyway), all the staff were very polite and extra professional my only negative comment was they keep bringing up group on like, check in it was oh your group on and dinner was "can i have your room number", "yes its 311", "oh yes here we are 311 your groupon yes this way please" dont know if its because we were on a different menu but i just think it shouldnt need mentioning, all in all a good little break would go again if it was on offer well worth what we paid it would of cost more for a taxi into manchester and a meal so great value

3  Thank kelljoe112

Dear protools,

Thank you for your positive review of your stay with us at Samlesbury Hotel.
I was pleased to read that you found your stay enjoyable, breakfast to offer a good selection and the staff to be polite and professional.
I was disappointed to read that you found the portion sizes slightly smaller that you wished and that you found our staff mentioning the deal you were on to be unnecessary. We only do this upon check in to confirmed with you as we require the voucher and it is also confirmed in the restaurant to ensure the correct menu is offered to our guests.
Your comments and feedback will be taken on board as we constantly endeavour to surpass our guest’s expectations of service.
We look forward to welcoming you to Samlesbury Hotel.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Mrs HJ is an addicted Afternoon Tea goer... and you'll see one or two other such reports in my historical chronicles.

Having read some of the other reviews here for afternoon tea at this establishment, I'm afraid we may have been unlucky and visited on a day when there had been a death in the kitchen - of everyone who had even the faintest knowledge of food.

Either that or you have to wonder who is in fact writing positive reviews about this establishment.

There were just 8 other people on the Sunday afternoon around 4pm, with a plethora of nice places to sit. We were shown to a table right next to a group of loud ladies having a lot of fun. I asked to sit at a more comfortable table and were obliged, though the staff member made the point she would have to make the table up.

Between our table and the next, the carpet looked as though it was the victim of two clans at war who had been having a food fight.

The champagne was NOT champagne. It was a warm and very very sweet prosecco, inappropriate for the occasion.

When we checked in Mrs. HJ informed the receptionist she was a vegetarian, the lady said she would inform the kitchen, yet fish and meat sandwiches arrived - she was not amused.

What was amusing was the fact the cake stand was removed to the kitchen and returned some time later with replacement vegetarian fingers of bread with the filings falling out. Looked like the left overs from a some down market club bash buffet.

Sandwiches - well not really. They were two small slices of bread, de-crusted, and sliced into fingers with the thinnest of filling. We were provided with 2 very small squares of cake (lemon drizzle was very good) and a mini chocolate éclair which was okay.

And to the Pièce de résistance - the scone, jam and clotted cream.... It was again pretty small and had obviously been warmed some time ago - so had gone hard and crunchy...

To be honest, Mr. T - the A-Team enforcer with his shoulders laden with gold - would have had more finesse in creating an afternoon tea experience than the mess served up on a fairly presentable modern cake stand...

Further to our irritation, seeing as the Merchant's restaurant was practically empty, attentive service would be at least some saving grace. NOPE, the staff buggered off into the kitchen for most of the time we were there and I had to wait over 5 minutes to order a decent glass of champagne from anyone.... to cleanse my palette from the awful dross the Hotel had served first up.

The tea (to drink) selection appeared most limited - No Lapsang Souchong - so now beaten into submission we downed an Earl Grey and bailed out as quickly as possible.

This week we went for proper afternoon tea in Southport at the Westminster Tea rooms - what a difference.... chalk and stale cheese spring to mind.....

Even for £7.50 - I would rather go to Starbucks than the Samlesbury Hotel - and would certainly get better value for money.

1  Thank A_Huntley_Jacobs

Dear A_Huntley_Jacobs,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review from your recent experience at Samlesbury Hotel.
I was disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your afternoon tea and I would like to apologise sincerely. I was surprised to read your comments as we usually receive extremely high praise from the majority of reviews concerning our afternoon tea offering.
Should you wish to discuss any aspect of your experience at Samlesbury hotel please do feel free to contact me at your convenience as we would very much like to welcome you back and restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Act was ok but the food was very small portions. My 6 yr old grandson would not have a problem eating this size meal. Service waited to long between courses due to not enough staff they pulled the bar staff off to serve the meal. It was a £10.00 meal not what they were charging. I would not go again.
Mr R Hughes

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I started a 3 day break in Lytham for our wedding anniversary with a champagne afternoon tea here en route.

I am addicted to afternoon teas, both full price and voucher deals, and can honestly say this is one of the nicest I have ever had (my reviews have details of many of the others).

This was a bargain! The hotel looks stunning, lounge bar looks like something in Vegas (The Hotel at Mandalay bay kind of décor) and the staff are excellent.

I am a fussy veggie and hard to please, but not here. There was a mini cheese tart each, a cheese twist, beautiful sandwiches, lovely scones, and 2 pieces of cake each plus a macaroon each. A glass of a lovely light prosecco, and tea or coffee.

I will be telling everyone about this place as I was very impressed.

Lots of parking.

10/10. Will be back.

2  Thank seahorsesparkle

Dear seahorsesparkle,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor for your recent Afternoon Tea at Samlesbury Hotel. Your comments were a pleasure to read and I am thrilled to hear that you found it to be 'one of the nicest I have ever had'. Thank you for the high praise and the score of 10/10.
I will be sure to pass on your kind words to my team and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel soon.

Hospitality Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Samlesbury
Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel
Millstone at Mellor
Millstone at Mellor
#2 of 4 in Blackburn
Preston Marriott Hotel
Good Night Inns Boddington Arms Hotel
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Hallmark Hotel Preston Leyland

Been to Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel? Share your experiences!