“best meal out in a long time.”
Review of The Eagles Inn

The Eagles Inn
Ranked #6 of 23 Restaurants in Rhayader
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Was advised to try this pub for food by another landlord of a local pub as they didnt serve food themselves, his words to us were" its a bit of a sticky carpet type of pub but the food is out of this world", so we decided to give it a try admittley from outside it does look like a bit run down but we had a look at the menu and it wasnt the cheapest but had such a huge selection we decided to go it a go we walked in to a empty pub but were greeted by their friendly barmaid who explained that the chef would be in in about half an hour but we could wait with a drink and order our meal when ever we were ready so we both ordered a cider and sat to to decide what we wanted to eat and what a menu it was from steak pie to crocodile and kanagroo !!!!!!, we pondered over the menu and as soon as the chef arrived she came and took our ordersand stopped for a friendly chat too we opted for mussels to start £6.50, my husband has the mix grill £18.00 and i had the game casserole with new potatoes, £10.00, the mussles arrived and what a huge portion for a starter with a large side salad, and lots of bread and butter more than enough for two to share i said to my husband if this is the size of the starters what will the main meal be like ...they also were huge and we both failed to finish them my husnad didnt even touch his huge bowl of chips that came with his mixed grill, all food was very tasty, and very hot and the atmosphere in the pub was really lovely very hughly recommended and cant wait to return to try some other meals off their menu .

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We have been here twice. Place has very differing reviews and I guess it suits a certain sort of person. Personally I find the food great, the atmosphere is good and local,the staff are great, as long as one can take a joke, although it
could do with a good spring
clean. I suppose it depends on what one expects I love the place

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Somebody had recommended the Eagle Inn for their Carvery, so we thought we would see if their evening meals were any good. The Eagle Inn is set back from the main roads of Rhayader, near to the Church just behind the market and initial impression doesn’t look the prettiest of pubs and first impression on going in is that this is a drinkers pub. We found a table in one of the back rooms and looked at the quite extensive menu, with a nice mixture of standard pub grub, with some specials using local ingredients. Ordered food and drinks and bar and were served by friendly staff with no issues. Food took an acceptable time to come and the portion sizes were huge. I am not sure anybody would want the amount of chips that came with my full rib, but I did my best :) The quality of our food was ok, but nothing special and overall atmosphere is that this is a locals or drinker pub that does food. One thing that nearly caught us out was that they don’t take cards, thankfully I did have enough cash, but could have been awkward.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

First time visit and found it quite by accident. Ordered a fillet steak with all the trimmings but being a heathen I wanted it very well done (no easy task without drying the meat out), and it was cooked to absolute perfection (for me). Loads of chips, onion rings, side salad, garden peas and a mix of fried and raw chopped onion too. Bigger plates would be beneficial though as half mine was hanging over the edge due to the enormous portion - heaven! Loved it so much, I've cancelled my full English breakfast tomorrow at my B&B and will be returning to the inn for another go at the steak - but this time (hopefully) with a slab of garlic butter. Warm, friendly welcoming host(ess) and I just adored the quirky interior & paraphernalia on display. Thank you.

1  Thank Mark J
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Nineteen of us including children booked here on a Saturday, except for not being able to do children's portions of the main menu (unless two children had the same meal) I cannot fault the service and excellent service. My husband had a fillet steak one of the best he has ever had! I had a delicious cod and chips, everyone had lovely food and so much of it, highly recommend visiting here.