“Just a warning”
Review of Crown Inn

Crown Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rhayader
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Just returned from a week in Rhayader. We had a lovely meal at the Crown on Saturday 25th May. All staff were very friendly and the food was first class. Returned on Tuesday 28th May, the food again was first class again, but the night was not as enjoyable as the first visit. This was due to what I can only describe as a rather surly, rude barman. When I asked for the bill on my first visit I was supplied with printed bill listing all items. When I asked for the bill on my second visit the barman did not supply the printed bill only telling me the total amount. I paid the bill. When I arrived back at my accomodation I had realised I had been overcharged by at least 10%. The barman never gave me a receipt either. Needless to say we never returned to the Crown, but ate elsewhere. Just be warned watch this barman and alway ask for an itemised bill.

1  Thank T0ny50

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Booked this last minute stayed overnight on way down to Builth Wells Spring Fair, the room was lovely shame about the bathroom, need upgrading reminded me of a bathroom in Blackpool's B & B's back in the 80's. The staying accommodation is set away from the main pub which has a great choice of drinks and food, very busy on a Friday night. When shown to our room the pleasant young girl told us breakfast was between 8 and 10 downstairs in the bar, 8am came made our way downstairs but the whole pub was locked up tried phoning but no answer, I remembered that "Morgans" down the road had the same owners so we chanced their only to be told that the breakfast was indeed served their (it would be nice to be given the correct info when checking in) otherwise well worth the money £60 for 2 B & B, would consider staying again

2  Thank Griffith-Family
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stopped to eat at this pub on Saturday Night 4th May, we received excellent service from the staff. The steak Burger was sublime and food was plenty. So much so we returned on Sunday Night to eat again and ended up staying most of the night. If you are staying in Rhayader then we can highly recommend the crown inn as a place to eat and drink.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

We dropped in for drinks and a light supper on a cold, wet, evening. Service prompt and pleasant. Locals friendly. We had fish cakes which came with a salad. The IPA and cider were well kept. Toilets clean.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2013

This hotel has recently been taken over by the owners of Ty Morgans and the customer service and welcome shows why they have been so successful. The room wasn't stunning, but it was clean, tidy and warm, and when I booked they advised us that they had only just taken over, so hadn't updated the rooms yet. We'd bought a Groupon voucher for Ty Morgans but they were booked up - so they offered us the Crown instead. Unfortunately due to personal reasons we weren't able to get over for the Friday evening, and when we arrived Saturday they told us we were welcome to stay on the Sunday evening instead! Top customer service.

Breakfast was at Ty Morgans and it was definitely one of the best I've had. We ate our evening meal there too, and the steak was to die for.

Room Tip: Check whether upgrades have taken place before you book - if they haven't, expect clean but basi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We stayed at The Crown (which is now being run by the team at Ty Morgans) last weekend (2nd Feb) for 2 nights .
I have to say it was brilliant, the room had been freshly painted and was clean and warm I could pick a couple of holes if I wanted to but to be honest they are not worth mentioning and I have no doubt they will probably have been sorted by now.
We had an evening meal on 1 night which was superb, I wanted a mix of 2 things on the menu and it was done with no quibbles, the food was good value.
The beer was tremendous, IPA at £2.20 a pint, it was kept well as were all the ales.
If your in Rhayader pop in for a pint, the staff are friendly and helpful and as I said it's a great place to stay.

Room Tip: There can be some traffic noise if your in room 4 but it was not a problem for us.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Popped in for a pint during recent stay in Rhayader. Welcoming landlord, cozy bar, good pint of Guinness. We both left happy. Worth a visit.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhayader
Glen Usk Hotel
Ty Morgan's Bar-Bistro-Rooms
The Horseshoe Guesthouse
The Horseshoe Guesthouse
#6 of 14 in Rhayader

Been to Crown Inn? Share your experiences!