“Not a happy couple”
Review of Crown Inn

Crown Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rhayader
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Stayed here twice before, said would never stay again as always given twin room when asked for double, thought archer the revamp we would give it another go......well the positives first, the room was very clean, the towels spotless white and nice toiletries left on the bed.. Now the negatives, the bed.. You could feel every lump, bump and spring in the cheap mattress, non of us had a very good nights sleep.
When we returned to our room at about 930 it was very dark, there were no lights in the alley leading to the stairs, no light on the stairs so was very dangerous.
Then reading the welcome pack, we realised we had to go to another's B and B across the road for breakfast, had we know this or been told this on arrival we would not have stayed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorna A
Crown I, General Manager at Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Apologies you weren't very happy with your stay with us I have now updated our page to explain about the breakfast, however our sister b&b we use is only 10 yards over the road from ourselves.
We did look into the lighting mentioned it is a sensor light so am not sure why it did not click in for you.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We call in at this pub as it said they had pigeon breasts on the menu, which sounded interesting. however, when we ordered, these were 'off' so I plumped for the fish cakes which it said came with salad. It came in fact with chips (which I rarely eat) and the tiny salad was well wilted under the hot fish cakes. My husband's shepherds' pie also came with chips and salad (also not mentioned) although, of course, it contained potato. Why can one never buy a light lunch in a pub! I hate wasting food.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stopped on trip to north Wales - although close to their food closing time they were happy to serve - bob the butchers sausage and mash lovely, steak burger kept daughter happy and Brie bacon and grape sandwich was good. All fresh, all hot - nice place to stop (Parking in NCP round corner)

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank anne0590

Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed at The Crown Inn last week for 2 nights we had a great time, the food was fabulous and so were the staff. The room we had was quiet and peaceful, it was well worth the visit and we will be returning.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind review.
We hope to see you again and enjoy hearing about happy customers!

Reviewed 31 May 2013

Just returned from a week in Rhayader. We had a lovely meal at the Crown on Saturday 25th May. All staff were very friendly and the food was first class. Returned on Tuesday 28th May, the food again was first class again, but the night was not as enjoyable as the first visit. This was due to what I can only describe as a rather surly, rude barman. When I asked for the bill on my first visit I was supplied with printed bill listing all items. When I asked for the bill on my second visit the barman did not supply the printed bill only telling me the total amount. I paid the bill. When I arrived back at my accomodation I had realised I had been overcharged by at least 10%. The barman never gave me a receipt either. Needless to say we never returned to the Crown, but ate elsewhere. Just be warned watch this barman and alway ask for an itemised bill.

2  Thank T0ny50
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Booked this last minute stayed overnight on way down to Builth Wells Spring Fair, the room was lovely shame about the bathroom, need upgrading reminded me of a bathroom in Blackpool's B & B's back in the 80's. The staying accommodation is set away from the main pub which has a great choice of drinks and food, very busy on a Friday night. When shown to our room the pleasant young girl told us breakfast was between 8 and 10 downstairs in the bar, 8am came made our way downstairs but the whole pub was locked up tried phoning but no answer, I remembered that "Morgans" down the road had the same owners so we chanced their only to be told that the breakfast was indeed served their (it would be nice to be given the correct info when checking in) otherwise well worth the money £60 for 2 B & B, would consider staying again

2  Thank Griffith-Family
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stopped to eat at this pub on Saturday Night 4th May, we received excellent service from the staff. The steak Burger was sublime and food was plenty. So much so we returned on Sunday Night to eat again and ended up staying most of the night. If you are staying in Rhayader then we can highly recommend the crown inn as a place to eat and drink.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhayader
Metropole Hotel
Ty Morgan's Bar-Bistro-Rooms
The Bear
The Bear
#2 of 14 in Rhayader

Been to Crown Inn? Share your experiences!