“Lovely wedding venue but poor breakfast and service.”

and 1 more site!
Offley Place Country House
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Hitchin
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I recently had my wedding at offley place and it was my dream venue, I love the building and the grounds and 100% wanted my wedding to be hosted there. It was a massive disappointment on arrival at offley on my wedding day to find that my room wasn't ready for me to get dressed in with my bridesmaids. This had been planned months in advance and they knew my time of arrival but it was still being cleaned. Then my future husband arrived too and I had to hide in one of the reception rooms because not one member of staff was helpful enough to sort this problem out. This added stress which was not welcome on my wedding day, bad planning on their behalf!
My wedding went smoothly apart from the bad wedding food, again this was disappointing. Everyone's potato fondant was raw!!
The next day at breakfast myself and all of my guests who had payed to stay at offley were very upset with the service ( or lack of it) there was one member of staff serving, taking orders and cooking! We all had to wait 50 mins to an hour for our substandard breakfasts! The waiter was rude when anybody asked for more toast etc...
All in all it was an upsetting end to my wedding. I emailed the wedding coordinators to air my disappointments but know body bothered to reply or acknowledge my email! Offley place it's self is beautiful but the staff and food let it down. My husband and myself are very upset that we won't be able to go back to where our married life started as we were looking forward to having our wedding anniversary back there.

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Beautiful venue sadly the food was shockingly poor and some of the staff rude. One of our party asked for some coffee at breakfast and was told " not now I'm too busy"
The meal we had been waiting all year for as part of a wedding celebration was a huge let down. Bland tasteless with over cooked veg and meat, with a sloppy service. A complaint was sent direct to the venue afterwards but after two weeks they have yet to reply. Also they staffed the main bar with one bar man and it would seem when asking for a drink they automatically serve a double but do not point this out. What a let down. I Will never recommend to friends or family.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Charming hotel building, we had a nice room and the staff were mostly helpful. But we had a bizarre breakfast, with about 8 people in our group, some of them not wanting specific items in the fried breakfast. They were told they had to have the complete breakfast and just had to leave the things they didn't like!!! Not sure if this is normal here or if they were just having a bad day...
Also there was no Continental breakfast of any kind, although it was posted on the menu, just a few individual packs of cereal and a jug of milk! Not what you'd expect for 135 pounds per night by a long way...

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Olaf L
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We had our daughter's 21st here in July 2012, the place is special to me because, my father was the gardener here back in the 60s and I was born in offley.
It is a magical place, staff helpful, polite, food lovely, you cannot fault the place. We are hoping to hold my daughter's wedding here in two years, because of the memories and feel of the place, so we will be looking at prices, really can't wait for offley place to be part of my daughter's magical day x

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Rockdj66
Reviewed 17 November 2013

On arrival, the hotel felt cold, ie someone had forgotten to turn the heating on! The room was very nice, decorated in a slightly old fashioned way but comfortable. The bathroom was immaculately clean and so was the rest of the hotel. There are a few points which I think spoil the stay. There is a large staircase with a 3 tier chandelier. Only the bottom tier was lit, which makes it dark when you go upstairs. However, the following morning all 3 tiers were lit, when you no longer needed it. Our room was on the top floor facing the front and side, very quiet and spacious. The room however was very cold as the radiators had all been turned off (and it was a cold windy night). One of the windows let cold air in, as it didn't shut properly. The bed was very comfortable however and there were plenty of extra blankets in the cupboard which we didn't use. The pillows however need to be changed: hard, lumpy and stiff. Not an abundance of towels, and they are a bit on the small side. However, nice toiletries, a hair dryer and lovely biscuits in the room which a good choice of tea and coffee. We had a meal in the restaurant as it was part of the package. We had a drink before dinner and I was disappointed when the bar staff (a young girl) didn't know what a kir was and stated that they didn't have any!! We took our drinks into the drawing room (as the bar area didn't appear to be terribly welcoming). The drawing room is a grand room with lots of comfy sofas and a huge fireplace... which wasn't lit! After about 10 minutes, the waiter appeared and mumbled something about not having any lighter about his person as he doesn't smoke! Do I really want to know that? By the time matches were located, our table was ready and we were still freezing. We had the table by the fireplace (see website pictures) but as they have a problem with that fireplace, the fire wasn't lit.... The meal was very nice, spoilt by bland and stodgy potato dauphinois. However, the rest of the meal was excellent. Breakfast: we were 2 at the table, only 1 cup. Toast arrived with no butter, I had to ask for it. When it arrived, the toast was cold. Cooked breakfast: would have been very good had it not had thoroughly over cooked fried eggs which the chef thought he would disguise by folding over! I had to ask for marmelade with toast, and only 1 little pot came (there were 2 of us). All in all, I probably wouldn't go again. It would be a beautiful venue for weddings as there is a large conservatory (with communicating door to the dining room) which opens out onto a terrace with steps up to the grounds. So plenty of scope for beautiful photos.

Room Tip: You might want to take your own pillow... Just in case! If you go in winter, take a jumper with you...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ExpatFrog
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We booked an afternoon tea, which was lovely. Included a glass of champagne followed by tea, sandwiches and a scones with clotted cream and jam. If that wasn't enough, there was a great choice of cakes and biscuits.
We were offered more to drink and didn't feel rushed at all. The setting was very relaxed. The staff were all very polite. Would definitely book again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Took my Aunty here yesterday for afternoon tea, we had a lovely afternoon. The tea, cakes and sandwiches were so well presented and also very tasty. The service was top notch, friendly and professional, special thanks to our waiter Dominic, he was very attentive, informative, professional and friendly. Great service goes a long way and certainly made for a lovely afternoon spent sitting in the very traditional english lounge which was decorated comfortably and tastefully.

Thank you once again and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sonia H
Hamid S, Owner at Offley Place Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted that you both enjoyed your afternoon tea with us, and experienced everything as we would wish.

It will soon be time to light our log fires and hope that this will add even greater enjoyment to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hitchin
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Hitchin Priory
Hitchin Priory
#8 of 8 in Hitchin
Fanhams Hall Hotel

Been to Offley Place Country House? Share your experiences!