“Terrible stay, changing bar prices and moving apart beds!”

and 1 more site!
Offley Place Country House
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hitchin
Cinderford, United Kingdom
“Terrible stay, changing bar prices and moving apart beds!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here overnight for a friends wedding.

The building itself was lovely and appeared very well kept. On first look our bedroom (room 4) looked to be very clean and spacious with a large bed. The bathroom was also well kept, modern and clean. From this we were anticipating a lovely stay but unfortunately that was far from the reality.

For starters, I am appalled that the drink prices at the bar seemed to increase each time we ordered despite ordering the same drinks. What started off at £4.20 by the end of the evening was £5.50. As I myself was not drinking alcohol, it was impossible that I was confused or my judgement "blurred" by this. I spoke to the bartender several times about the change of prices and he insisted that each time it was correct. When mentioning this the following morning, we were informed that we should of asked for receipts. At no point was there any suggestion from any staff instructing me to ask for receipts otherwise I would clearly of done so each time I questioned it. It was not only ourselves that found that the price increased, other members of our group also mentioned this and queried the staff. I Am also rather confused with the pricing structure. A friend who was drinking Peroni was told that to purchase a pint, it would cost £5.20 but if he ordered half pints they would be £2.40 each, meaning that 2 halves would be £4.80. When speaking to the female bartender he was informed that this was correct, but she also could not understand the pricing of this and had been questioned about this several times from others at different times. Am wondering whether she has also reported this to the bar manager so the company are aware or whether it's another thing that is just "wiped under the carpet" I was also advised the following morning that it is not possible for staff to edit prices on the till, I fully understand this due to myself working in the industry at a 4* hotel. So if the till cannot be edited obviously not all of the cash handed over has been put through.

When we reached our double room that evening, my partner and I both went to sleep. We woke at midnight to find that our "double" bed had come apart and in fact it was two singles pushed together but with no proper fastening devises to hold it as one. After waken another twice and "pushing" the beds back together, we finally got a few hours sleep, unfortunately when waking in the morning my partner woke with a terrible bad back as had woken up in the crack between the two beds. When speaking to the receptionist the following morning, as a gesture we had £20 removed from our bill, which we were grateful for, but feel that measures should be put into practice to avoid clients needed to complain in the first instance. We also pointed out the following morning whilst showering that the shower head was full of limescale and was broken, only allowing a small part to realise water, which is a shame as we were looking forward to using it as it looked very good. When speaking to reception the following morning, we were advised that we should of rang the night porter and asked to be moved. Clearly in the early hours of the morning this is something we would not of Been packing out stuff back up and moving rooms. As I mentioned previously, I myself was not drinking that evening and had also just come out of hospital so was anticipating a good nights sleep after a long an tiring day.

I feel the breakfast menus are slightly misleading as the menu in the room and the menu on the table at breakfast both offer different things, for example it does not specify that a vegetarian option is not shown to be offered within the menu in the room. The continental breakfast I believe was to include cheeses and meats, none of which were available. My partner was less than impressed that there was no black pudding as stated, neither did the waitress say that it is was not on the menu when she took out Oder. I was pleased to see a vegetarian breakfast was offered and was keen to order. Unfortunately when it arrived I was less than impressed. Despite the majority of the meal tasted lovely and seemed to be well sourced, I was more than disappointed with the vegetarian sausages. They could only be described as swimming in oil (possibly deep fried, or fatty product.) a suggestion would be for the kitchen to look to source these sausages from either a different supplier or change their product, as I feel a sausage consisting of "carrot, pea and sweetcorn" is neither appetising or suitable to be used for breakfast.

The room itself including breakfast was due to be £135 and with £20 taken off for good gesture due to "bed" complaint equalled £115. So In theory our sleep cost £20, meaning it was an extremely expensive breakfast!
I am far from impressed with the problems we had whilst staying in the establishment. In future would stay in a different hotel, as we did the night previous as we found that there were no issues.

Hopefully the management of the hotel will take this as constructive criticism and will look into the points I has mentioned, and if carried out am sure this establishment with be as delightful to stay as it supposed to be.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Hazandmoo
Hamid S, Manager at Offley Place Country House, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are now investigating this further

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed for a wonderful and very special wedding and the hotel absolutely played its part; good service, reasonably good food and everything went to plan, although bar drinks were very expensive...rooms were spacious and clean but no long mirror in my room which wasn't great for getting ready for a wedding! I love old buildings and the setting of this hotel is lovely yet it really felt in need of some tender loving care, attention to detail felt lacking in the public spaces and outside in the grounds, it just feels like it needs a big luxurious hug for me. I've been lucky enough to stay in amazing country house hotels, this feels like it could be on the way up or on the way down! It needs investment, to make a lovely place spectacular, and the brides and grooms of the future deserve that!

Room Tip: There are stairs but the central staircase is wonderful and really eases the steps!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PitstopMelly
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We went to Offley Place for a spot of lunch and it was lovely! The staff were amazing! They showed us all around were we could sit-the lounge, the bar or restaurant (we only wanted sandwiches!) Nothing was too much trouble at all! It was my mums birthday and they really did make a sandwich lunch feel very special!! Just a welcomi g, comfortable place. Will definitely be going back! Only tiny criticism it would be nicer to have proper thick cornish clotted cream with the cream tea, it was a slightly runny cream, but you did get massive helpings! Maybe just personal preference!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Memorable stay .
Friendly, enthusiastic staff who could not do enough for you!
Big room, light with fine views.Smashing breakfast ( full English for me) .
We will return.

Corporate bar prices. Wine might be cheaper to buy the bottle, no single glasses or bottle prices readily available(although I did not ask).
Suggest they offer guests the option of not changing towels daily?
Not niggles, just suggestions?

Recommendable and very happy to do so. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Room 8 on 1st floor was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hamid S, Manager at Offley Place Country House, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and pass on your suggestion which we plan to introduce..

We are also delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, especially in the peace of room 8. Room 17 is also a quiet room that enjoys the same view of the rose garden.

We look forward to welcoming you again
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

All of the team at Offley Place worked hard to make my birthday party a very special one. I couldn't have wished for anything more.. The venue is in a great setting and feels like a home, the food was fantastic, and the service impeccable. The staff couldn't do enough for me and my guests and the extra touches they provided really made a difference to my night. It was a celebration I will always remember. Thank you.
My husband and I and other guests stayed the night and the rooms are wonderful. I really can't recommend this hotel enough for special occasions or simply lunch or dinner. (Having experienced them all!).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review. We really enjoyed working with you in the planning and running of your event and are delighted to learn that you enjoyed every aspect. Agnes would like to say a big thank you to you for your kind comments and for the pleasure of working with you.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a nice old place, comfortable rooms and very nice bathrooms. I've stayed 3 times and happy to stay again, but a couple of things. Terrible WiFi - especially if you're in the top floors, pack light, as there are a lot of stairs to cart your bags up, and this is more of a 'winter' rather than a summer hotel as there is no air-conditioning and the air you can get through the window's isn't really quite enough. But most of the rooms have a nice outlook, staff are generally courteous, and has that feeling of 'old country estate'. The food I actually find fine, but often head down the road to the pubs that are in walking distance, rather than eating in the hotel. Very nice generally however and will not hesitate to return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hamid S, Manager at Offley Place Country House, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments and feedback as this is something we always welcome. I am sorry you were unable to receive a good WiFi connection during your stay. We are working on improving our services, but please do always let us know so that we can try to help you find a stronger signal.
Our staff are also happy to assist guests with luggage to their rooms because yes there are a lot of stairs but as stated in your comments we feel the rooms are worth it when you get there. Thank you also for letting us know that you would have no hesitation in making a return visit and we hope that we can look forward to seeing you again soon.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I have been here a few times for afternoon tea which was great so I expected the evening meal for my fiancé's birthday to be on par. Sadly I was very disappointed.
We were not greated at all upon arrival, instead we had a flustered waitress huffing at us and then asked the waiter to deal with us. Not the greatest first impression from this sort of establishment. The restaurant had two people in there; hardly a busy service. The waiter however was extremely polite and took us to our table. Unfortunately we were then asked for our first course by 'the waitress.' She was blunt again but we dismissed this and tried to enjoy our evening. Our first course arrived but mine was incorrect so I politely told her this and she argued with me insisting it was what I ordered. I've never been spoken to this way in a restaurant - I think customer service needs to be addressed here. She took the dish away and had it replaced but never apologised. The waiter later came over and said sorry which I was grateful for but I said I was not happy with the way I was spoken to. Such a shame as our meal was lovely and so was the waiter but unfortunately tainted with appallingly bad service from a rude, grumpy waitress.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SunSeaPartySeeker80
We are extremely sorry to learn of the poor service received on this occasion and are trying to contact you in order to discuss this further.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hitchin
Needham House Hotel
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth

Been to Offley Place Country House? Share your experiences!