“Good Mexican cuisine”
Review of Bar Amigo

Bar Amigo
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar Amigo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #102 of 183 Restaurants in Hitchin
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a Mexican and Latino restaurant based in the heart of Hitchin town square. Serving traditional Mexican dishes along with a variety of ethnic South American dishes. We also have a quaint cocktail bar where you can enjoy fresh speciality cocktails.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I come to this restaurant often as I find it consistently good. I have been as a couple and also in a large group for a hen party. I find the food very good and the service friendly. Good cocktails, nice atmosphere. They have got rid of their card machine due to increasing costs which is fine by me but I do sometimes feel this restaurant is a little expensive. Suggestion that they have a medium option for fajita spice. Mild is too mild and spicy just a little too hot for my personal tastes but this is a small thing really.

bar a, General Manager at Bar Amigo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for your review. All feedback is valuable to us and we have now added the option of a medium spice for our fajitas! We hope to see you soon to try out our new spice level :)

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We visited with another pregnant friend this evening looking forward to some good food & atmosphere. We both felt very rushed and literally as soon as our starter was taken away our main course was bought out. The food was ok but one of us being vegetarian only had 1 choice of food which I though was poor!! When it came to paying the bill we attempted to pay by Pingit as BarAmigo have stopped using the card machine due to cost apparently (your not telling me they don't make a fantastic markup!!) anyway this wouldn't work and none of the staff knew what to do, which resulted in two heavily pregnant woman having to go down the stairs to a cash machine then walk back up the stairs with the cash!! Not a great end to the evening in our opinion and we won't be going back!!!!! Sort it out Bar Amigo!!!!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We had been wanting to visit for ages as both me and my other half are big Mexican food fans. When I phoned up to book I could not book the time I wanted as I was told they were fully booked however when I arrived there was only 1 other table with guests?! The atmosphere is good but the music did make conversation a bit more difficult especially as we had a noisy table near us.

The food was good however my mum is a vegetarian and there was only 1 vegetarian option on the menu, this I thought was awful. I am so disappointed and this is one of the main reasons I doubt we will visit again.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Very average food - maybe authentic Mexican but not that well done - the restaurant itself is lovely and cosey but not in a hurry to return as the food is always disappointing!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Being a lover of all things Mexican I had been looking forward to checking out Bar Amigo for ages. I wish I didn't bother. Admittedly the Mexican cantina experience is supposed to be basic and honest but this was a step too far. The nacho starters were worse than anything you'd expect from a cinema. A particularly small portion of nachos with lumpy cheese and the usual dips out in the middle in paper ramikins, something akin to your local wetherspoons. My friend had Fajitas which did look the part but offered little in the way of taste. I had the chicken enchilladas which were a bunch of mush. Chicken pieces too big to be moist, barely a hint of sauce and no real flavour to talk about. I doubt there is a reader who could not make better themselves. The service was disappointing for a small venue. I found I had to leave my table twice to ask for drinks, and them having asked twice for water for the table I was presented 5 minutes later with one glass of water. The young blonde haired waitress was very polite and cheery but would really benefit from working somewhere that is run a bit more tightly. I am never, never one to write a bad review (honestly) but having spent a long time working in the hospitality industry I appreciate how important it is to get the basics right. I also don't want to leave a restaurant knowing I could have had better food at home