“A wonderful pub in a beautiful location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Windmill - CLOSED

The Windmill
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: This is a smashing pub restaurant with new owners. They use much of their own home grown produce for the restaurant with the result that the food is supremely fresh. Eggs, ham and other local produce taste better than I've had before. The staff are friendly and incredibly welcoming. The pub has a deck over the river and a lot of outside tables . It is set off a quiet road and our loudest dining companions were the ducks! The menu has something for everyone without being too large to manage. The portion sizes are huge and the prices very reasonable. I'd recommend this pub restaurant to anyone and will be a frequent visitor as it's not too far from home.
London, United Kingdom
“A wonderful pub in a beautiful location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I had the pleasure of visiting The Windmill recently, and am glad I did! This old public house situated next to the River Hiz has a new licensee, and if the hog roast on offer and excellent service is anything to go by, you want to be adding this to your list of 'must visits'. The kitchen was being re-fit when we visited, and speaking to the new licensee, who himself has worked at some prestigious London eateries, you can expect some pretty exciting things once up and running. Certainly worth a visit to experience the warm welcome, excellent beers on offer and superb waterside location it has to offer.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank DickieW007

St. Neot, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We travelled from Cambridge to this pub today to meet friends as it looked so nice on the internet, the main reason for chosen the Windmill was because it was dog friendly. Unfortunately, not any more with the new people running the pub, dogs are no longer accepted and there is a big sign on the outside of the entrance door telling customers this. Luckily it was a nice day and all their customers had to sit outside with their dogs, I suggest their website is updated as soon as possible. We ordered food from their small menu, I ordered gammon steak, and then was told they hadn't got any,the table next to us ordered some sort if ciabatta bread sandwich also told they had run out of that particular bread, when our food eventually arrived 30 minutes later, they did apologise for the time it had taken . My husband ordered a pint of bear and a glass of wine for me and couldn't believe it came to over £10, the reason being they only seem to serve large measures of wine and the customer is not asked what size they would like. What a disappointment for such a lovely location, they will be losing so much trade with high prices and being anti dog, unfortunately we will not be returning.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Ann E
London, United Kingdom
“Nice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

What a nice lovely sunny Saturday! Been there for the first time but hey! Nice, cosy, and most of all... The ducks ! It's such a lovely place in the middle of the countryside! Come along with your dog too! You do feel welcome indeed! I will pop over again for sure!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank arymunchkin
UK
“Avoid! Tragic Decline!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

We've eaten here on several occasions in the last few years and had always enjoyed good food. In fact, the only downside to the pub was that the food was so good it was sometimes impossible to get a table. We should have taken the plentiful empty tables today as a warning. We did wonder why no one else was eating. The bar staff looked nervous when we asked for the menu, and by the end of our meal it was obvious why. My husband's "Sunday roast" pork was in edible. The vegetables were cooked to a pulpy mush, nothing had been seasoned at all. My choice was no better, the "gourmet" burger with bacon and Brie was a mass produced processed burger that looked like it was straight out of an Iceland pack. The bacon was under cooked and the slice of Brie microscopic.
What a shame. I wish I'd read the previous review from a few weeks ago. Seems the old chef has gone and whoever has replaced him simply isn't up to the job (and certainly isn't even a cook, let alone a chef) What an appalling meal.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank carolesg
Burnham on Sea, United Kingdom
“Chefs last day????”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We went to the Windmill at Charlton for lunch today and really wish we hadn't bothered. Sausage & mash was ok as was kids nuggets. The tuna sandwich was the only really good plate of food. The jacket potato would have broken our teeth if we had tried to bite through the skin at each end. I should have realised when told they only had one jacket left and it was only 12.30. It was clearly the only one left from the day before - reheated again! The bacon & brie baguette consisted of an ice cold dry baguette topped with cold bacon and brie, completely inedible. The poor bar man was very embarrassed and said it was the chefs last day and he'd already clocked off mentally. I don't know if this was true but the bill was amended accordingly. A special anniversary lunch was a meal to remember but for all the wrong reasons.

• Visited October 2013