“weekend stay”

The Farmhouse at Redcoats
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Hitchin
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed sat and sun very unique hotel.quality fittings in all rooms first hotel that has filter coffee in rooms.all other facilities top quality.the hotel reflects its past as a lived in farmhouse .staff very attentive but unabtrousive food is also good quality breakfast cooked to order.will return soon

Room Tip: room 17 is small but very comfortable
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bryan m

Reviewed 23 June 2014

After a long, hot and tiring journey when we checked in early evening we wanted to sit down quietly, relax and have a shower. We had booked (months in advance) a twin room and were given a double. There were no bathrobes, no fruit and no menus in the folder in the room. The receptionist showed us the room, noticed the absence of bathrobes and promised to come back with them. Half an hour later we were still waiting so my wife went to ask. No-one in reception but the young man from the bar found someone who brought robes to the room but no fruit. Restaurant was very busy but this was not a good start to our stay. lots of changes of level in this area mean anyone with mobility problems/ poor vision might find access a problem.

The room contained 2 chairs, desk, TV on the wall, wardrobe containing tea, coffee (instant and ground), biscuits, drinking chocolate, 330ml bottle of a diffferent brand of water to that mentioned on the website, hairdryer and what was probably a blanket, obviously not needed so we didnt look. The bathroom had a walk-in shower (on check in we were offered a room with bath if we preferred) with a button on the wall to switch the water on before you walked in. The room was hot, both windows had to be opened to cool it down. Despite the heat outside the underfloor heating and towel rail were switched on and were both hot - the floor hot enough to be painful even through towelling flipflops. Both were switched off when we located the switches. The floor of the shower was very slippery, the handrail provided helps but who wants to hold a rail while trying to wash. Nice toiletries and the provision of an emery board and a kit with q tips were nice touches. Bathcap also provided. Towels a decent size. Good lighting with downlights and strip lighting by the mirror. Razor socket near mirror. Pop up waste in the sink that you had to press to open, a system we were not familiar with. Shower drained slowly, standing in water makes the slippery floor more dangerous.

The curtains were largely ornamental and did not close across the window. There was a venetian blind and a roller blind but sufficient light comes in at the top (despite the pelmet) bottom and sides to wake you early in the morning. Although by the car park the double glazed windows meant that car noise was not excessive with the windows closed. Comfortable bed with cotton sheets but the light penetration meant we didn't get a full nights sleep.

We didn't eat dinner in the restaurant, it was very busy. Breakfast was a disappointment as the bacon was adequate but not good, sausage not tasty, wood mushroom not to my liking, few tiny fried potatoes. Served initially without an egg, fried egg was very runny and in our view undercooked. Fresh fruit salad, several types of juice, yoghurt, choice of cereals, toast and jam/marmalade available. My wife had warned them a week in advance she wished for a gluten free breakfast - gluten free toast was provided, she said it was good bread. My wife felt the waitress was abrupt when asked what types of herbal tea they had, the response being an unhelpul lots then extended to ginger, peppermint - my wife interrupted to ask for fruit and got something red. If you dont wish to be asked include it on the menu.

Pretty gardens with quite a few insects, there were a few flies in the conservatory at breakfast.

On check out we were presented with a bill although the room had been prepaid. The details were on the system and they found them eventually.

We were en route to Cambridge and had considered stopping for lunch on the way back. We were not inspired to do so.

It was difficult to decide how many stars to award as the room looked good and there were some nice touches. However poor service, a less than full nights sleep, overheated room and dangerous shower are too much. I expect a full nights sleep in any hotel and in this price range I expect better service. It was quite clear that the emphasis was very much on a busy restaurant, hence the title of this review.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank buzzard2000
Ben G, General Manager at The Farmhouse at Redcoats, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear buzzard2000,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay with us on Friday night. There certainly do appear to be some issues with your accommodation that we will rectify straight away, in particular the lack of bathrobes and menus in your room, the shower drain and the settings for the underfloor heating. Thank you for bringing these to our attention. I am glad that you liked room design and our little touches such as the lighting in the bathroom and our good hairdryers (an absolute must according to my wife!).

I am sorry that you felt we prioritised our restaurant guests over our residents. I believe you may have checked in when a private party was arriving which may have made the restaurant feel overly busy. I can assure you that there were tables free in the main conservatory dining room.

We do appreciate that the steps within the bar area can be difficult to navigate (one of the pitfalls of a 450 year old building) however we do have high visibility tape on all the steps and ramps available for those in wheelchairs.

I am sorry that you didn't sleep well. We are very aware of the importance of a good night's sleep which is why the rooms feature king sized Hypnos beds and 3 different curtains / blinds. The rooms are extremely dark when all the blinds are drawn so I am surprised that you found the sunlight to be a problem. I will see if there is anything else we can do to reduce the level of light.

I am glad to hear we were able to accommodate your dietary requirements however disappointed that you did not enjoy your cooked breakfast. I will certainly speak to our head chef about this - we normally get excellent feedback about our farmhouse breakfast.

With regard to value for money, we do feel our rooms are reasonably priced. I understand that you won the stay as a prize. Had you paid for it, it would have cost you £95 for two including breakfast. Unfortunately when the prize company booked your stay they did not tell us that you wanted a twin room. It is a shame that you did not let us know once you had arrived as we could have moved you to a different room with a twin bed.

Kind regards,
Ben Gainsford

Reviewed 13 June 2014

This was an outstanding stay in an amazing hotel. Chosen on the basis of other Trip Advisor reviews and it was a truly wonderful experience. Knowledgeable, friendly and helpful staff always make the difference and this was no exception - even down to a personal recommendation of wine from our waitress (which was spot on!). Bobbies Room has to be seen to be believed - lots of space, lots of character, great bathroom and a very comfy bed. Even the Wi-Fi was high spec and the mobile phone signal was good - what more could the business traveller want? The food in the restaurant/conservatory was some of the best I have tasted and in proper portion sizes - I chose the venison and it was mouth-wateringly excellent. After the evening meal was so good, and enjoyed to the full, there was no room for breakfast, but some really appetising smells were wafting along during the quick and efficient check-out. This place is a real treasure and is very highly recommended.

Room Tip: Bobbies Room. A real luxury experience! It is on the road side of the hotel and it is surprisingly...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Chris T
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Food, service and surroundings are faultless . The bedrooms have been redecorated to the highest level and are very comfortable

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed here after we had booked another pub b&b in the area and we decided not to stay. We actually found it after driving past a sign and decided to check it out! And how glad we were. Wonderful atmosphere in an old country house, friendly staff, beautifully furnished rooms and the food was amazing. It is a family run business and we really got that feeling with our service and attention to detail. The price was more than we had planned to spend but it was worth every penny! We would highly recommend a short stay to couples looking for a romantic break in the country

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We had our wedding reception at Redcoats in a marquee on the lawn and it was perfect! The garden looked beautiful (as it always does) and we were thrilled with everything.
Having a marquee meant we got to choose all parts of our day. We enjoyed planning our menu with the team and the food on the day was fantastic! The service was impressive- especially given the number of people. We were made to feel so special in the run up and the staff at Redcoats really went the extra mile preparing info sheets for the guests that were staying in the hotel so they knew the timings and how to get to and from the church.
We would highly recommend a wedding at Redcoats.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Rachaelwood84
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed at Redcoats based on the recommendation of my client. Even though I was in the area on business the establishment made me feel as though I was on a vacation in a storybook setting. This is by far the best lodging I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing, and I've been traveling the world on business for over 15 years. The rooms have a very classic old world ambiance and they are exceptionally clean. The food is top-notch and I can honestly say I've not experienced such perfectly prepared cuisine in all my travels in the UK. And the staff is professional, courteous, and friendly far-and-away beyond what would otherwise be expected. They seem to treat everyone as family or very close friends, with a genuine concern for everyone's comfort. This is a real gem set in a country setting. I've stayed here twice now and plan on staying here whenever I'm in the area on business. However, I've also made plans to vacation with my family in the UK in a few months and even though much of our time will be spent in London we plan on staying here because it is so delightful. It's absolutely superb and I've already recommended it to several of my colleagues, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I've stayed in both the main house and side building and both locations are excellent. The side...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank PHXwings
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hitchin
Needham House Hotel
Offley Place Country House
The Sun Hotel
The Sun Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hitchin

Been to The Farmhouse at Redcoats? Share your experiences!