“Excellent Pub”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2014

A great pub with a great atmosphere. All the staff are exceptionally friendly. Lots of live music and fun events like karaoke and a quiz night. The food is incredible and you can tell it is all cooked fresh. Best Burger in Hitchin!!!!

1  Thank Adam P

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Had lovely lunch here on Saturday. My Mum needs gluten free and usually we struggle to find somewhere that offers something more than omelette or jacket potato. Not a problem for The George! The menu had all the usual pub favourites (burgers, fish, fat sandwiches) most of which also came in gluten free variety. For the first time in years Mum was able to have a fat 'n' juicy 100% beef burger in a soft white bun with PROPER chunky chips (no freezer rubbiush here). The owner was incredibly proud of his locally sourced produce and we enjoyed chatting with him about different recipies. I had the BLT ciabatta which was delicious and a bargain at £5 with my drink included.We were made to feel incredibly welcolme by the owner and will definitely be visiting again for a dinner and Mum wil be hard pressed to choose which of the gluten free desserts to have. Big thumbs up!!

2  Thank Heather W
The_George_Pub, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2014

Hi Heather W

Glad you enjoyed your visit! It was lovely meeting you back in the summer. You may be pleased to hear we are expanding our range of "free-from" foods to include dairy free chocolate fudge cakes and cheesecakes with our new dessert makers.

Also a new menu will be launching in the new year with even more gluten free treats!

Hope you and your mum have a wonderful christmas.

All the best
The George Team :)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The new owners have really turned this pub around, I stopped drinking here a few years ago because, well simply it was a dive! After hearing the pub had been recently took over I thought I would take take a look.. Well It looks amazing inside with great decor, I had some lunch' The George burger was like a steak in a bun & yes there's only two ales but it's obviously kept well. The staff were friendly & welcoming. I'm glad to have my Local back! Well down to The George.

Thanks for the great review! Hopefully the team and I have got to know you well since this review was posted but please let us know about the review when you are next in!

All the best and see you soon!

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

The George is a lovely old traditional coaching house in central Hitchin. Totally unspoilt. I visited for lunch having made a diversion I the way to Lyon airport ! Nowhere decent to eat in Luton and airport offering is dreadful ! So a divert to the haven of tranquility at the George. We were not disappointed ! Warm greeting from staff and efficient and friendly service. Menu not particularly inspiring but food was all freshly cooked and delicious. Next time I fly from Luton I will be doing a divert to the George again!!

1  Thank Paulsmithcasty
The_George_Pub, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hi Paulsmithcasty. Thanks very much for taking the time to review us. We're glad you enjoyed the time spent here. It especially humbling to see you scored us up there with some top London restaurants. I do agree the menu we offer is simplistic however when taking on the pub we wanted to bring back good, basic and honest pub grub back into Hitchin. It seems many restaurants in the town cater for many tastes but what was missing was good, simple, home made, honest food. We try not to over complicate our menu, however from your feedback we are considering some more adventurous specials and theme food nights in the near future. Thanks once again for the great score, if you are passing by in the future please pop in and introduce yourself so we can thank you in person.
All the best
Lee, Adam & Julie

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Ale choice... Poor. Only one beer on when I visited although it looked like at times they have more. Not a great pint. Left some of it. Recently done up which is nice and obviously trying to improve the surroundings. All in all I don't think its as nice as some other town centre options. Some good functions upstairs and occasional music in the bar. Without a crowd in I found it a bit cold and unwelcoming.