“Very bad hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Hitchin
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
“Very bad hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

There aren't many choices in hitchin for hotel, but I always ring the other first. The room are stuffy and old, the whole hotel creeks and you can really hear people walking past in the corridors and the internet has filters on it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at The Sun Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us, we welcome all feedback so we are able to improve our standards and service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Luton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

No one on reception to check us in, waited about 10 minutes. Room could have been cleaner, dust and mould on tiles in the bathroom, though sink, toilet and bath v. clean. Bed linen spotless.
We were their for a function and must say the food was served hot and tasty and drinks reasonably priced. Though the food was only served from the small function room kitchen I noticed under the kitchen units was dusty and grimy and could do with a good clean. Staff very friendly and helpful and appeared to enjoy their work. Breakfast a very good choice. Before we left I checked the draws only to find cigarette ash in one of them NOT GOOD. On the whole a very good night. The building is old and has masses of charm. Would stay their again. Agata who works their was very helpful and polite and a credit to the company.

Room Tip: Have stayed here before on the Sun Street side and was very noisy as it was a weekend. Be sure to as...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We're sorry you did not enjoy your overnight stay and will certainly address the issues you raised. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the team and especially Agata.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We had a room on a Friday night for £55 including breakfast for two, so bear in mind I didn't expect this to be a top quality hotel. On the plus side, reception was efficient and friendly, and the reception area and bar were clean and comfortable.

The hotel is in an old building and the layout is a bit strange, it felt as if I had to walk to Sevenage to find my room, up stairs, around the corner, ups stairs, downstairs, and so on. I suppose it all adds to the character, but the corridor was pretty tired and in one place the plaster was falling off the wall.

The room was a bit small and simply furnished, but because the gap between the bed and the wall was a bit tight more than one guest had scraped the wall with their bag and the it looked a bit tatty. The windows didn't shut, but that was OK because it was stuffy anyway. The bathroom was clean, but again there was an aged look about it and the seal between the wall and the floor had come off and was just lying there.

We didn't eat but the menu looked OK - very traditional pub grub apart from the bizarre salad with pomegranite seeds which was a bit out of place. Judging by the quality of the breakfast - which was pretty good by any standard - I'd guess the food's fine, and its cheap. Sevice at breakfast was a bit chaotic and we had to wait a long time, but the staff were trying hard.

Our room was above the bar which appeared to be shut - I certainy wouldn't have fancied trying to sleep if they'd had a function on. There's another bar at the restaurant which is open late for residents, and the beer was OK but nothing special.

All in all I'd stay again if I needed to save the £20 quid extra it would have cost to stay at the Lord Lister, or if the Lister was full, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for us, we're gald you enjoyed the visit and hope to see you again.
Outer London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed at the Sun for one night as I was attending a Christmas party at another place nearby. I booked a single room, which was comfortable and although small and compact had a queen sized bed and a fabulous shower. The hotel was very busy with Christmas parties but they were very helpful, polite and friendly. The car park at the back was totally full so I had to drive to my venue and leave my car there and taxi back - but as the Sun were hosting 2 large dos I suppose it is understandable. Breakfast was delicious and there was plenty of choice. I would recommend this hotel for an over night stay at the least. It is nicely situated in the centre of Hitchin and in my opinion was good value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit, we're glad you enjoyed your stay and breakfast.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

The hotel was lovely. It had lots of character being an old coaching inn. Our room was gorgeous, it had a little stair case leading up to it and it was really big. The down side of the room was the ceiling, it was slanted because of the the roof and I hit my head (considering I'm on 5" 2, its quite low and no good for taller people). My partner struggled walking around and had to crouch. The same applies to the bathroom. The en-suite was really nice but the bath/shower needed a curtain, I felt like I flooded the place. The price is really good considering it included breakfast and the breakfast itself was yum. Even considering the negative I think it was a nice hotel and would happily stay there again. There's off street parking too which is a bonus :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beans1988
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the Team and your room and breakfast, we hope to see you again.
Warwick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here before and would stay again purely because the friendliness and efficiency of the staff make up for the tired hotel....it's in need of some tlc! New carpets decor etc. we had a lovely quirky room but the weeny bathroom was in need of ripping out and replacing. Grimey tiles and a shower tray that wouldn't empty. The bed was good and linen/room spotless. Breakfast very good. You have to remember that you're not paying the earth to stay here but it does need money spending on it. Special mention goes to the night porter who welcomed us at 2am (babysitting grandchild) opened the bar so we could have a rather late but welcome drink. Two other couples came in after us and were also given a similar welcome ()-:

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for us, we will address the housekeeping issues raised. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, thank you for your lovely comments regarding Steve, our nightporter.
Ware, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

A work team "meal" at a nearby restaurant which wasn't convenient for my getting home so I looked for a "reasonably priced" somewhere to say as I had to pay for myself. Also I wanted a car park.

The sun looked just the thing. Car paring was tight however so I recommend if you go get there early and park “defensively” ie try to avoid where you could get blocked in.
Check in excellent, efficient . Room was a long way from the reception but more than adequate. Warm and comfortable. Bathroom was shower only but that was Ok too. Bed while a double was a small double which was ok.
The bar was lively as lots of pre-Christmas revelry going on but service was quick and efficient with no waiting.
Next day breakfast excellent.

All in all great value for money and I will use it again and recommend to others

Thank you Sun Hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank PBH0017
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and team, we hope to see you again