“Very pleasant small, family run hotel - good value & location.”
Review of Lord Lister Hotel

Lord Lister Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Hitchin
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Very good value hotel at £70 for a couple including breakfast. Excellent breakfast spread with good service. Nice room with tea/coffee/biscuits/water etc, desk, TV free wifi - all you need. Well positioned less than 100yds from Sun Street which is main restaurant street of Hitchin. Very pleasant husband/wife team who run it - Josie has lived in Hitchin her whole life so is excellent source of information on the town.
Only criticism was that the Fire Door between next room is so thin could hear conversation/TV clearly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have never stayed in a hotel which wont give you any ice...apparently you could only have if you bought a drink? So we were given an ice bucket and my husband had to go over the road to Asda to buy the ice!!

The room was billeed as an 'executuve' double...I dread to think what a standard double would look like.

We had to move rooms as again the confirmation was for a bath tub and our original offer only had a single shower cubicle

On a positive note although the room was noisy (passing revellers at all hours) it was clean

We just paid the same to stay in a fantastic vineyard hotel in Gloucestershire - no comparison for facilites service and value for money

Will not stay there again or recommend to anyone

Room Tip: ther is not a good room as far as we can tell
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Warwickcarol
LordListerHotel, Owner at Lord Lister Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

I am sorry if you feel that you were not treated very well and that you did not think that our room were up to standard. We have 5 executive double rooms 3 with bathroom and 2 with en suite showers. If a guest would rather have a bath and it's put on booking then we will do our best to accommodate. I would just like to say that we have only just been inspected by the English Tourist Board who appointed us 2 Star.
We have only got a small bar for residential use, When we were asked for a bucket of ice foe drinks that they brought with them ,we said that we only had one bag which we needed for the bar, but ASDA was across the road we provided the bucket for their use.
May be I should sell ice for guest?

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Nick and Josie the owners are there to help your guests with everything they can.
The place is well located a few minutes of a lot of restaurants.
It's a old building but very clean, Cozy and Warm enough for foreign people.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My husband and I visited The Lord Lister 12/04/14 to book a double room for the Easter weekend for a friend. We were told by a middle aged woman that there were no availabilities - she did not refer to a computer or a book. I felt this was untrue so called the hotel within half an hour later and I was told rooms were available for said date. Unsure why we were treated this way since Hitchin has a diverse population. Did our colour factor into this decision by this 'family run business' ? I certainly won't be recommending this hotel in a hurry. Mrs Powell

Stayed: April 2014
6  Thank Deborah P

I am sorry that you thought that I did not want to give you a room. But I recall that I was asked for prices of rooms for you were going to have a party,
As I was about to give you a price list the gentleman asked if we were busy, which I say Yes
at this point he said it was pointless asking for prices. You both turn round and left the building.
I never did give you the prices and you never asked for any rooms.
We were busy that weekend but were not full.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed at the Lord Lister whilst working in the Hitchin area for a few months. The owners, Nick and Josie, and the other staff (Nina, Pam, Rochine) made me and my colleagues feel incredibly welcome during our stay. This small hotel is ideal if you are looking for great hospitality, a good breakfast to start the day and a clean, comfortable room to retire to at the end of the day. It is within 5 minutes walking distance from the many pubs and restaurants in the lovely market town.

I would happily recommend this to anyone staying in the Hitchin area, either for a short stay or longer.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front can be a bit noisier due to passing traffic.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank NitramSwindon
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Recommended by a friend. Good price for standard double room. Building itself is a quaint old converted building that has kept it's feel. The rooms are off a myriad of corridors and stairs. Decor was good, clean if a little tired in places. Although we didn't use them the lounge area and bar looked comfortable and welcoming. All staff were friendly and helpful. We felt we could ask for anything and help would be given. Room was good size well equipped and had all the little niceities you expect in a room of a top hotel: not just kettle etc but biscuits, bottled water, quality shower gel, cotton buds, etc etc. Our room overlooked the main road so traffic noise was a small issue. Breakfast was excellent. Good choice of buffet, cereals and fruit. Though no pastries. Cooked breakfast was fresh and well cooked. This would be a good place for business travellers or base to explore the area. Hitchin high street is well worth a look too. Traditional market town with mix of bijou shops and the usual high street ones.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 19 September 2013

An interesting, well run hotel with excellent attention given to detail, and staff available at all times ready to help. Every effort was made to accommodate our needs. Though public rooms were small they were comfortable and attractive. The family room we had was a good size with a full bathroom (plus shower) with opening window in both rooms; it was bright and spotlessly clean. Dietary needs were well catered for at Breakfast, and the discount deal with the local Chinese restaurant came in handy!! Value for money all round.

Room Tip: family rooms are at the back of the hotel, further away from the road
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business