“Hitchin Firs Hotel”
Review of Firs Hotel

Firs Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Hitchin
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I visited Hitchin over the weekend to attend a friend's 50th Birthday party.

Upon arriving the lady at the reception was informative and efficient. I was booked in swiftly and allowed to borrow a decent iron and ironing board.

The room although small (which to be fair I had only paid for a single room) was very clean and tidy. A little perplexed at a couple of things in the window - I'm assuming it was to stop people from breaking in...?

The towels were clean and fresh!

The breakfast was promptly delivered to my table with great service and a smile (I was in and out in about 15 minutes).

The stay was pretty standard right up until I was leaving...the hotel manager called me a taxi to get me back to the train station. The taxi did not arrive (as you can imagine my heart was pumping and I was getting more worried about missing my train as time ticked on) the Manager did no more than give me a lift to the train station. How amazing is that? I was completely blown away - not only did she give me a lift, would not take any money but she restored my faith in human kindness and I would heartily recommend this hotel...why not because it's a 5 star for £57 a night. No...because it's clean, the owners actually give a damn about their guests and breakfast is good and it's great value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Firshotel, Manager at Firs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. With regards to the "things in the window" they are poles to open the velux window and blind.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Stayed here for 1 night while visiting family locally. Was looking forward to a small independent hotel in a pretty part of the country. First impression was that the only facelift to the hotel since 1990s are flat-screen TVs clumsily mounted on the bedroom walls with random sections of beading trying to hide the cables. On stepping into the room and attempting to secure the door - the Yale lock leaves rather a lot of play - an old bottle top bounced off my shoe, left as a memento by the previous guest. A quick scout around what the room had to offer unearthed several dingy bits of wall and yellowing in the sink. A bed sticking springs in your back and rocking everytime you moved wasn't much cop either. All in all, pretty overpriced for not much comfort. I'd recommend a local chain hotel over this one.

• Stayed: August 2013

I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay. It would have been helpful if you had mentioned these issues during your stay, allowing us the opportunity of being aware of the problems and rectifying them. Unfortunately we are not able to identify the room you are referring to. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Stayed here for one night due to business. Very reasonably priced. Rooms were of a high standard with a large flat screen tv. Very clean and plenty of room. Stayed in a double with ensuite. Excellent showers too.

One slight issue is the curtains are like see through ones. They do not block the light at all and this is a big no no with me. Its quite easy to fit blackouts to the curtains but I can not understand why hotels do not fit them as standard when the are supposed to be promoting a good nights sleep is one if the paramount reasons for staying in the hotel! Also slight traffic noise can be heard as its on a main road but I was quite tired so slept well.

Apart from that niggle it was a good stay and a filling full english breakfast too.

Staff very friendly and courteous. Good location for Hitchin town centre and amenities.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank varkanoid
Firshotel, Manager at Firs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Thank you for completing a review. I have noted your comments on the curtains and will look into this issue. We normally fit blackout curtains but there may be a few rooms that need reviewing. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We were really pleased with our choice of hotel for an overnight stay. We were welcomed by friendly staff on arrival and were pleased with our spacious room. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the hotel was really quiet; a great night's sleep. Breakfast was made to order and was tasty. Overall, a pleasant hotel and very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: We were happy with our ground floor room (room 25) - very spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aquilegia_blue
Firshotel, Manager at Firs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Thank you for your review this is appreciated. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Had a recent two night stay here and really enjoyed it.
Met with a very friendly receptionist on arrival . While room was not huge it was spotless and very comfortable with good quality toiletries , coffee/tea / hairdryer, good TV.
One thing I think could be improved on is a Non-slip Mat in the bath as I found it a bit slippy but its a really good size en-suite.
Breakfast is very good and the breakfast room is delightful and service efficient.
There is a quiet and relaxing bar for a nightcap also.
It is is a good position with a 10 min walk into the lovely Market town of Hitchin with its many nice shops. There is also an indoor and outdoor swimming pool across the road, not sure if open to the public or if you need to be a member but worth noting.
There is lots of car parking to the rear and our room was at this side also which was really quiet.
I would certainly stay here again
Thanks for a lovely stay

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for completing a review. I am delighted that everything was satisfactory. For future reference the swimming pool is open to the public and there is both an indoor and outdoor pool.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Just returned from a overnight stay at the Firs Hotel Hitchin, we were greeted with a friendly receptionist who was efficient and nothing was to much when we asked her some questions.

As the weather was not very good we decided to have our evening meal in the hotel restaurant and was a very high standard at a reasonable price.

The room and all areas was spotlessly clean and bed was very comfortable which helped us to have a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was of a very high standard and very tasty

Many thanks to all the staff for a wonderful stay

Mike and Kerrie Taylor

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Firshotel, Manager at Firs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. We are delighted that all the facilities met your expectations. You can not imagine how rewarding it is to receive your appreciation. Thank you.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

We arrived home last night after staying at the Firs Hotel in Hitchin. Had to let everyone know if you are in the area and need somewhere to stay this is the place. Firstly it was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble really really helpful ( we arrived earlier than expected and was allowed in our room) fantastic. Large bedroom with tv, large bed, settee, ensuite bathroom with shower etc + toiletries -Fab. When we were ready we asked how far to Hitchin town centre, really nice surprise as it was only 10 mins walk across a park and we had a great day. When we came back we sat out in the garden ( as it was a beautiful day) with very comfortable chairs and the owers served us drinks from the bar, lovely. WE went out for the evening and also had a great night. The break in the morning was also great (lovely breakfast/dining room, really roomy and very well stocked with everything you coulfd wish from, from cereals, to fresh fruit + a menu for anything hot. We has an english brerakfastm with toast and tea an d we could not fault it, freshly cooked and lovely and hot.

We checked out at 10.30 feeling really refreshed, one of the best and friendliest hotels we have stayed in.

So if anyone is around that area and looking for somewhere to stay this hotel is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED).

Also plenty of safe parking at the back of the hotel as well.

Room Tip: Just go on their website there is full information or ring the hotel (which we did as well ) and sai...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Firshotel, Manager at Firs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. It is always encouraging to receive positive feedback. Thank you.