“An excellent place”
Review of La Bella Vita

La Bella Vita
Ranked #5 of 6 Hitchin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed here recently for 4 days before going abroad. I had a room at the front overlooking the street. It was very good and decorated beautifully. The antique furniture was a pleasant surprise. The room was quite large and the bed was very comfy too. The hotel is located right in the town centre but still quiet enough. On site parking was a bonus. Georgio, the owner is a great guy and made us feel comfortable. I would definately recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights as we had a wedding to attend and found it to be a very nice experience. The rooms were a little dated but they were clean and comfortable. We booked a meal for the Friday night, we sat in the little bar beforehand to have a drink and the owner came over and sat with us and took us through the specials that were on offer and took our order. The food was delicious my boyfriend had the steak and I have chicken in a white wine sauce, it was so tasty. The service was great the young lad waiter that served us was very attentive and polite. The desserts trolley was also lovely we had a chocolate mousse! The breakfast was lovely they offered a cooked breakfast and there was also a small choice of cereals and crossaints, etc.
Overall the stay was a very nice experience I would go back without a doubt and would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KK2012186338
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I have been staying at the Bella Vita about once a month for the last two years whilst travelling on business. This is a real gem in a town that is severely deprived of reasonable hotels. It is quirky in that the reception is just talking to the staff in the traditional Italian restaurant but they are always ready to talk and be both very friendly and lots of fun.

The rooms vary from very traditional to modern. Some have four poster beds and the old (and sometimes quirky) charms of a very old market town building and others are completely modern. All bathrooms look to have have been refurbished within the last 2-3 years with many I have seen being completed in just the last 12 mths and several with new whirlpool baths (These are the cleanest I've seen in Hitchin by a long way). All rooms I've had have large flat-screen TV's (I'm guessing approximately 37"- 47") and DVD players and all the beds have amazingly comfortable memory foam mattresses (If you haven't tried these, neither had I but I am now a convert as these beds are the most comfortable of any hotels I stay in).

Whilst this hotel does not have many of the facilities you would expect from a high street chain such as a room service menu, telephone in the room and a night porter, Georgio the owner is always available on his mobile number which is on the door of the reception. He will also cook you anything you want from the restaurant's menu or make you something off-menu to your liking and have it delivered to your room. I must say this is a service I take advantage of and I must hugely recommend the cooking. Both Georgio and his head chef are superb and I genuinely believe they could easily go for a Rosette for perfectly cooked Venetian/Italian cuisine. The pasta is home made and the best I have ever tasted. All produce is bought fresh with daily visits to the best markets to get the highest quality ingredients. Whether it is Monk Fish, Norfolk Gold Chicken, Quail, the tenderest of quality steaks or their home made sauces, you know you are going to get tender and perfectly cooked quality food.

I'm looking for any opportunity to bring my wife here for a stay and to enjoy the food and conversation with Georgio and his staff. If you do visit, the only thing I would say is take it for what it is, a friendly and quirky privately owned hotel at a restaurant serving top quality food in a town with very little choice for good hotels.

By the way, if you want to know if this review is genuine, have a look at the other feedback I have given. You will see that I live on the south coast and I don't give unnecessary recommendations.

Room Tip: Ask for a four poster bed, whirlpool bath or a quiet room at the back depending on what is most impo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Nice stay, good food and wine. I liked the discussion with the Chef and staff about wine & Dine & Brunello. looking forward for next stay. Room 32 ( Suite ) is highly recomended. Super Giant TV and Rain Shower. All in all very good.

Room Tip: Room / Suite 32 with superb Bathroom and 60" TV !!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Had a lovely dinner good service and food. 10 people stayed over and the rooms were well furnished and clean. Breakfast next morning was excellent plenty of choice and good service.
Overall a good friendly little Hotel and great value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2013

My husband and I lived in Hitchin for two years. We spent our last night before moving at the Bellavita Hotel.
When we arrived at the hotel, there was nobody around. After a while, I found the owner sleeping in a back room.

The room was ok. But the shower was mouldy and not very inviting. The walls in the room were dirty, like something has been spilled on them and in the garbage bin, there was still garbage from the guests before. At least bed sheets seemed to be clean.
The DVD Player didn't work.

Up to this point, I would have given them an "average", but the catastrophic service at breakfast lost them another point. The breakfast buffet was tiny with three croissants on a tray, jam and butter and some bananas. I have seen much better buffets in the smallest English countryside B&Bs. The waiter was really rude. When I asked him if they had hot chocolate (I couldn't have coffee or tea as I was pregnant), he just said "NO". How hard can it be to warm up some milk and have some chocolate powder on stock? Especially as this is also a normal restaurant in the evening.

They still get two points from me, as the bed was clean and that was more or less all that mattered to us that night. I would never recommend them for a stay longer than one night. For breakfast, rather go to Hitchin market square and get something at Costa Coffee or Cafe Nero.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julestravels123
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed in a lovely,spacious and well furnished family room with a beautiful, brand new bathroom. However the owner was surly and uncommunicative, and only available by ringing his mobile number which was stuck on the front door. This was a contrast to the woman I spoke to when booking by phone, who was friendly and helpful.

Also the beds had not been made up properly when we arrived (no apology when I pointed it out) and had still not been done when we returned after our evening out - they 'forgot'. The window was also jammed open and very hard to shut, and the frame was also very dirty making the task unpleasant.

Beds were very comfortable but had to ask for more pillows.

At breakfast it seemed they couldn't wait to get rid of us. We arrived about 8.15 having been told it was served from 7 - 9. However even before we had finished eating the waiter was clearing the things off out table. He also took away the food that was laid out, before we had a chance to help ourselves. The food itself was fine although not as good as some hotels.

When we left I wanted to give the owner this feedback, but on phoning for his attention was told to just put the key through the letter box. Unfortunately it seems he does not value listening to customers, which is a shame as with a few improvements to service it could be a great hotel. The price was good and the location excellent if you want the town centre, and there is a car park.

Room Tip: Family room number 20 was large, had a mezzanine area with single bed, and great bathroom.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Clare P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hitchin
Hitchin Priory
Mercure Letchworth Hall
Mercure Letchworth Hall
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
The Farmhouse at Redcoats

Been to La Bella Vita? Share your experiences!