“Very nice from outside, disappointing room”
Review of Hitchin Priory

Hitchin Priory
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Hitchin
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The hotel looks very nice from outside, it has beautiful surroundings and the location is great. However, the room is not at the same level.

Toilet flush not working and noisy window which doesn't seal properly .

Average breakfast.

Not expensive but don't expect bargain!

Room Tip: We had room 5
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eva C

Reviewed 29 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at the priory after attending a funeral at nearby St Ippolitts. As the funeral was at 2pm on a Friday we decided not to drive home to West Sussex in what would have been the Friday night rush hour. My wife booked this Hotel because of its location and fantastic value. £55 for bed and breakfast for 2 people would be hard to beat. Our room was basic but clean and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and did everything they could to accommodate us as we arrived well before check in time. Breakfast was good and the full English was piping hot and well presented. My only gripe would be the rather muddy car park some way from the house but in view of the recent weather perhaps this was understandable? There was no restaurant but there are dozens of restaurants within a ten minute walk so not a problem for us.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank silversurfer59
Thierry V, General Manager at Hitchin Priory, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Thank you very much for your comments. We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay. Please accept our apologies for the state of the car park, being adjacent to a 19 acres parkland the incessant rain had made our task to keep it clear of debris rather difficult.
Please note that we do serve meals nightly in our Cocktail Bar area and our menu has in excess of 20 different dishes, light bites, sandwiches, desserts as well as daily specials. We also have a room service menu should you wish to eat in your bedroom.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Priory.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

On arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who immediately informed us that the bar would be closed due to a private function. This was disappointing as we were looking forward to being able to relax in the evening and it would have been nice to be informed when booking!
The room was ok, however the bathroom was very tired. The coat hook on the back of the bathroom door was hanging off, the shower was dated and didn't work particularly well and the bath creaked whilst I stood under the shower, there was also Black mould on the bathroom tiles.
Breakfast was a disaster. No cereal bowls, juice glasses or anywhere to sit. Full breakfast was ok but felt fresh mushrooms would be better than tinned!!!
We did feel sorry for the young waiter who was trying to run the busy breakfast service on his own even though there were other staff members visible who didn't seem to want to help him out.
We were most disappointed with our stay and sadly will not be returning.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank becklou
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights during January 2014.
On arrival, finding the muddy car park located 300 yards behind the hotel was a rather nasty experience as it was pouring down and carrying 3 heavy bags was not nice.
I went to check in and was advised that another 300 yard walk was needed to get to my room. This room was not located in the main hotel, but in an out-building. The room was tiny with a 3/4 bed, and not enough room to swing a hamster in!
I complained to reception and the lady moved me to a bigger, more comfortable room in a different out-building.
The room was dated, as was the bathroom. Mould was evident in the grout round the shower, and the bath panel was rotting due to water from the shower spilling out and on to it.

I went for my evening meal, again walking in the rain to get to the main building, and was horrified that the restaurant was not open during the evening, and was told to get a bar meal in the bar. The menu was limited, sausage and mash, veggie curry, fish & chips, and a range of sandwiches - not what I wanted after travelling for 6 hours to get there and eating nothing.

Bar service was poor, and every time you wanted another drink, you had to ring a broken door bell push, and sometimes someone may have come out to serve you. You had to shout at other times.

I ate out for the 3 nights I stayed, and will say that the restaurants in Hitchin are very good.

Overall, room cleanliness was ok, furniture was worn and outdated, bathroom a bit grotty, breakfast was very good, but the lack of eating facilities in the evening and very poor bar service really grated with me.

I would only go again based on the good restaurants in the town.

Room Tip: Try to get one in the main hotel, although I don't know what they are like. This will save you t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MrUnHappy_12

Thank you for your review and please accept our apologies for the unsatisfactory stay.

Our car park is situated 100 yards from the Reception and has suffered as result of the incessant rain, making our task to maintain it rather difficult.

Our annex, is merely 30 yards from the Reception area and being a former monastery, some of our rooms are indeed rather small.

The product is indeed tired, having been neglected for too long. On a more positive note, we recently have gained a new owner who is very keen to restore the Priory to its former glory and hopefully convince you to give us another chance.

Best regards

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I had been to hitchin for business tour and stayed at this hotel .
Rooms were ok size but I felt the need for air condition as I was feeling warm and there were no fans or Ac in rooms. My US colleages ordered for fans which were arranged quickly .

Breakfast was good with spread but with almost same menu daily.
Our rooms were quite far away so had to walk a little .also initially finding the room was difficult as it was confusing.

Room Tip: Check how much u need to walk for room
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 December 2013

On entry the hotel looked lovely. When we booked we did tell them we had a 7 week old baby and asked that if possible they put us somewhere out of the way for the comfort of other guests. When we checked in I don't think this had been noted or even the fact we had a baby. We were placed on the top floor, obviously with the nature of the building being an old monastery we had to carry our pram up 3 flights of stairs. The room was terrible and nothing like the picture on the website so beware when booking. For £70 per night we expected something at least similar to the piccy on the website. The rooms ceiling had old office tiles on it with stains all over it from leaks, the furniture was from the 80's, the headboard was peach foam with stains and a hair on it and there was only one set of towels for both of us. I went to reception to complain and they did change us rooms immediately. The second room was much nicer, half the size, still only one set of towels and couldn't wheel the pram in but we didn't mind. Only problem was I went to boil the kettle to fill my babies bottles and there was white scaling floating all in the bottom and no mesh net to catch it, so had to go and get somebody to bring me some clean hot water. The next day breakfast was even worse. First breakfast finishes at 9am, which in my opinion in too early. I came down a few mins after my husband about 9am, who was sitting at a dirty table (he was told to just pick one), loads of tables free but they were all dirty. My husband had already ordered me a coffee and him a juice which hadn't appeared. Our order was taken, his juice arrived with our breakfast, I ordered white bread and got brown, they had put butter all over my toast without asking and it was cold on arrival, still no coffee, I asked again. In the end I had to ask 4 times for a cup of coffee and some more toast, which they did in the end bring. I also heard somebody else complaining and mention us at the same time!

I will not be staying here again, I couldn't be bothered to complain again as the same women was at reception on checking out and I felt stupid she had already changed us rooms!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tanya A
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We had booked to stay in the hotel for one night as we were meeting our friends in Hitchin for dinner, they travelled from Essex. We stayed in the Priory Court which is considerably run down.
in the entrance were used towels pilled up in the corner. The block itself felt like student accommodation. The room itself was very dated. Bathroom felt like a hospital bathroom!! Towels were like cardboard!!

Our friends refused to stay in their room, as springs from the mattress were poking through, mould in the bathroom and rust and leaks on the radiator's!!

This could be a stunning place to stay. But wouldn't recommend it, until a good amount of money is spent on it making in what it should be.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 96sharoni
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hitchin
The Sun Hotel
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
Firs Hotel
Firs Hotel
#5 of 8 in Hitchin

Been to Hitchin Priory? Share your experiences!