“This place has great potential but...”
Review of Hitchin Priory

Hitchin Priory
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Hitchin
Surrey
“This place has great potential but...”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed here for 1 night at the weekend. On first impressions, it's an impressive building and I imagine at one time it was a beautiful home.

It's clearly been neglected over the years. There's a lovely mezzanine landing that should be really stunning as it's up a beautiful, old fashioned staircase, but they've placed some really old sofa's there?! Some random vases with dried flowers and mismatched pictures on the walls.

The bedroom doors are ill painted with really bad door handles. There's no real style or substance here.

We were in room 16, which is quite far from reception. Room adequate (only 1 pillow each), Mismatched furniture though and is there really a need to have such an old plastic phone in the room. So old it had gone yellow?!

Breakfast the next day was woeful. Very understaffed, No clean tables. Poorly laid cereals and fruit (did not match up to menu options). No brown bread for toast. They cook your breakfast to order which is nice a touch but it wasn't actually very tasty.

This place could, and should, be fantastic... sadly, something is going wrong.

I don't think we will return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K0636706Surrey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The reception manager was extremely rude when I questioned two things that I was not happy about upon arrival - there is no clear sign at the entrance gate....i.e. the word 'Hotel' does NOT feature, hence, I drove past the entrance thinking that the hotel must be further along the road. Secondly, I agree with a previous review that the car park is poor for a hotel. I was there on a course - instead of apologising for the confusion over the entrance sign, they proceeded to tell me that I was late for the course, making me feel even more tense, when in fact I was not late. I would certainly hesitate to book a room their based in my experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Helen73303

Travellers are raving about these Hitchin hotels

Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here several times now. Have to admit I disagree with the overall low rating for this hotel. For the price, the place is clean, welcoming and really handy for the numerous restaurants and bars of hitchin. Breakfast is good and the service is excellent. Free parking, easy drive to Luton and the airport. I like it!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night with a group if colleagues. I have to say that I felt very unsafe here as a female arriving alone! The car park is dark and poorly lit, and when I pulled up there were a group of about 5 men in army fatigues swigging lager (this was at about 5:30pm on a week night!)

I got my keys from reception and then had a further walk outside to reach my room. I walked past 2 other groups of men that we're milling about. My room was upstairs and there was no lift, so I would've appreciated being offered help carrying my bags when I checked in.

The room itself was very dated, particularly the bathroom (old counter tops etc). To be honest it reminded me of student accommodation! The bed only had 2 (VERY flat) pillows- I think that a double should have 4. The TV was the smallest I have every seen in a hotel room!!! The mattress was quite uncomfortable- you could feel the springs.

My main issue was that I just didn't feel safe! There was no peep hole in the door which I thought was odd, and I was boiling all night because the room lacked air conditioning- and I was scared to open my window as there were still groups of men outside shouting and drinking whilst I was trying to sleep (this was between 11pm and midnight).

The bar was also closed so we couldn't have a drink before bed.

Breakfast is cooked fresh, which is a nice touch. We were in a rush though and ended up being late to our meeting because of waiting for food. It'd be fine if you were on a leisure trip though. I was pleased that soya milk was offered. However, a wider selection of cereals and some vegetarian yoghurts would be appreciated (none of their yoghurts were suitable for vegetarians).

The hotel is a short walk from the town centre and restaurants etc.

Overall I wouldn't stay here again as I just felt too unsafe. All of my colleagues felt the same.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank RebeccaP190725
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Hitchin Priory with a number of colleagues and nobody really had a good impression. The building itself is outwardly impressive, standing in a great location close to the centre of Hitchin. It is situated in some extensive grounds.
On arrival the welcome is not particularly good, rather dismissive. The room was very poor, it really needs some money spending to improve decor and facilities.
The whole establishment has the feel of student accommodation where money is very tight. The room cost is low and you can see why. It would be better if someone invested some money in refurbishment and raised the room rates.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank OlasM
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My wife and I spent a few days here in walking distance from the town centre. The Priory is very pleasing on the eye and immediately gave us a good feeling for beginning our stay. We were accommodated in one of the rooms adjacent to the hotel. It was spacious, very well presented and quiet. The price for the stay was very reasonable.
We could not have asked for a better spot to suit our taste and budget.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StorkGuru
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The hotel looks very nice from outside, it has beautiful surroundings and the location is great. However, the room is not at the same level.

Toilet flush not working and noisy window which doesn't seal properly .

Average breakfast.

Not expensive but don't expect bargain!

Room Tip: We had room 5