Hitchin Priory
US$106
US$89
Firs Hotel(Hitchin)
US$107
Needham House Hotel(Little Wymondley)
US$75
US$107
US$104
The Broadway Hotel(Letchworth)
US$104
Premier Inn Letchworth Garden City Hotel(Letchworth)(Great Value!)
US$71
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewswedding coordinatorbeautiful groundstrouser presstown centrewedding venuetea and coffeeamazing weddinglovely townhigh streetbreakfast was excellentfull englishcharlottemarqueecharacterparklandwallpaperdryer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We booked into the hotel on Saturday night to be told that we couldn’t use the bar or restaurant because there was a wedding reception taking place – not a problem as the hotel is very close to lots of bars and restaurants in Hitchin. Opened the door to our room to the smell of cigarettes. I immediately rang reception who informed us that there were no other rooms as there was a wedding on. Reception rang back and we accepted the £10 reduction in the room rate but declined the offer of some air-freshener; the receptionist said it was very unusual for the rooms to smell as housekeeping were normally very good at noticing if someone had been smoking in any the rooms. We opened the windows to try and clear the air and noticed cigarette burns on the net curtain and window sill and several cigarette stubs outside the window (well spotted housekeeping).

Returning to the room after supper out we couldn’t sleep with the windows open because of the wedding festivities; the final straw was the noise inside the room which sounded like a tank filling somewhere above us up which continued all night. No sleep at all – was offered another £10 when we checked out.

Wasn’t expecting a luxurious hotel, but a decent night sleep would have been great.

Room Tip: Avoid room 45 - noisy plumbing.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michelle C
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My friend and I booked this hotel for a girlie night - on booking.com the photos made this look like the perfect place with beautiful rooms and grounds!
It was in fact terrible in comparison
We stayed in room 17 right at the very top of the building in a freezing cold room!
The wardrobe was an alcove by the door with a shower curtain to separate it from the bedroom
All of the furniture was very old and very mismatched
Our beds very uncomfortable, one was on a slant which made sleeping very uncomfortable as I kept sliding down the bed all night
Had a very uncomfortable nights sleep. The room was also very very cold
When we complained to The night porter and explained our issues his reply was "it's a 2 star b&b what do you expect' it's not a five star hotel?!"

After breakfast in the morning (which was a choice of cereal, or 3 Bain Marie's with cold scrambled egg, sausage, dried up rock hard bacon etc) no clean glasses for juice either - I went to speak to reception and in all fairness was given a £25 refund of the £70 room fee! That in itself denotes to me that they know this hotel is not up to standard

We chose this hotel as it looked the nicest in the photos on booking.com instead of paying less at big brand hotels very close by but were very very disappointed, cold and tired on check out

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marilyn R
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed here for 1 night at the weekend. On first impressions, it's an impressive building and I imagine at one time it was a beautiful home.

It's clearly been neglected over the years. There's a lovely mezzanine landing that should be really stunning as it's up a beautiful, old fashioned staircase, but they've placed some really old sofa's there?! Some random vases with dried flowers and mismatched pictures on the walls.

The bedroom doors are ill painted with really bad door handles. There's no real style or substance here.

We were in room 16, which is quite far from reception. Room adequate (only 1 pillow each), Mismatched furniture though and is there really a need to have such an old plastic phone in the room. So old it had gone yellow?!

Breakfast the next day was woeful. Very understaffed, No clean tables. Poorly laid cereals and fruit (did not match up to menu options). No brown bread for toast. They cook your breakfast to order which is nice a touch but it wasn't actually very tasty.

This place could, and should, be fantastic... sadly, something is going wrong.

I don't think we will return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K0636706Surrey
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The reception manager was extremely rude when I questioned two things that I was not happy about upon arrival - there is no clear sign at the entrance gate....i.e. the word 'Hotel' does NOT feature, hence, I drove past the entrance thinking that the hotel must be further along the road. Secondly, I agree with a previous review that the car park is poor for a hotel. I was there on a course - instead of apologising for the confusion over the entrance sign, they proceeded to tell me that I was late for the course, making me feel even more tense, when in fact I was not late. I would certainly hesitate to book a room their based in my experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Helen73303
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here several times now. Have to admit I disagree with the overall low rating for this hotel. For the price, the place is clean, welcoming and really handy for the numerous restaurants and bars of hitchin. Breakfast is good and the service is excellent. Free parking, easy drive to Luton and the airport. I like it!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business