“Mixed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Hitchin
London, United Kingdom
“Mixed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed just for one night for a wedding. My room was not available until 3.00pm which is inconvenient for a wedding venue but the checkout of 10.30am was worse when you've over celebrated a little the night before, I think 12.00pm on a Sunday would not be unreasonable. The room was on the face of it nice with a modern bathroom and good powerful shower and comfortable bed. On closer inspection however the walls badly needed painting and there was rubbish under the bed from previous guests. Breakfast was probably sub-par as well, food was nice but you had to fetch your own tea and coffee and toast was a little slow.

On the positive side, the staff were really good going the extra mile to help out my friend with a cot for their baby. The location is also excellent, set in beautiful grounds right in the middle of Hitchin. I enjoyed the food also, breakfast was nice and the wedding food was also good, they catered well for my friend with special dietary requirements. The overall experience was a good one.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Torpoint, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for 3 days last week while attending a residential training course.
After reading some of the reviews relating to this hotel, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is very quirky and full of character. Based around an ancient Priory, the hotel is uniquely in the town centre yet enjoys fanatastic parkland surroundings. My first evenings stay included watching the World Cup Final on a large projection screeen - set up in the hotel grounds, with a Marquee alongside, offering drinks for purchase and an open air Barbeque. This was very impressive and well attended by many of the local population.
If you like modern corporate hotels with modern conveniences - this is not for you. Many of the rooms are situated in the main listed building, with authentic wood sash windows with single glazing and crumbling paintwork. The rooms are very roomy with a small wall mounted LCD TV. However, the staff were excellent and very willing and friendly. The hotel certainly suited me and I would consider staying again with my family if I ever fancied visiting Historic Hitchin.

Room Tip: If you are single or a couple, then room 8 may be for you. Nice size although the TV was a strain to...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I have just recently stayed at Hitchin Priory and have to say it was a very pleasant experience. The staff could not be more pleasant and helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them. The hotel is a little tired but for us that was part of its charm. Great value for money.
The hotel is perfectly placed for the town being just three minutes away and what a super town it is, with so many restaurants, cafés and bars you are spoilt for choice.
We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Room nine is a little on the small side.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike C
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Reception pleasant and efficient. Corridors a little confusion. Decor somewhat dated but goes with the building. Comfortable bed. Very quiet. Easy walk into town. Excellent breakfast. Beautiful grounds to walk in

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Eric B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Well, as far as we're concerned we had a brill time! The chap and younger girl helping serve breakfast were especially accommodating (thanks for the toddler boost, chap) and helpful! Please pass on our compliments..

The only thing I would say is don't be too quick to whisk the empty plates away, I like to look at mine for 20 seconds or so to remind myself how talented I am at eating.

The grounds were lovely but the rooms were a little underwhelming, although we did only pay £60 a night at extremely short notice so hey-ho. The lack of restaurant was a bit peculiar, however due to the abundance of cafés and restaurants in Hitchin I don't really blame them, it'd have to be something pretty flipping special!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank MisterCrumbs
Taunton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

As a one night visitor, this was not what I was expecting after a 12 hour working day. Staying in the Priory block, the accommodation is dated and in need of refurbishment. The room was large and spacious, but the double standard bed looked lost in such a large space.

The hanging area, was so large and doorless that looking at the shelves prompted me to think of using them as bunk beds for additional guests, who I could 'sub-let' the room too! ;)

Dining for the evening I thought to make use of the restaurant. Meeting a colleague in the bar (a corner of the building that could have doubled as a store room!), we ordered drinks and asked about eating in the restaurant. 'No, we don't have a restaurant, the room you saw on the way in was a private function room! We serve your meal in here.' Responding to us on the fact the room was full with other guests and no tables were available, the member of staff referred to the chef to see if it was ok to lay out a table in the function room.

The special of the day was ordered - Pork, and a chicken burger and salad. This was served in good time, but we had to reject both dishes, and decided to eat elsewhere. The pork was as dry as leather and had clearly been on a hotplate for too long. The chicken 'burger' came in an anemic looking starter roll with two orange breadcrumbed pieces of processed chicken. (A McDonalds chicken burger would have got five stars, by comparison).

Sleeping in the room was acceptable, although the mattress was of such an age you could feel the springs as you knelt on it, getting in.

Breakfast was served in the previously mentioned private function room. This room had several tables laid out, with one large round table covered, but unlaid. I was amazed to see customers being turned away, as the room was 'full', but with no suggestion or invitation if they may be happy to sit at the large table with others. Suffice to say, as a lone guest sitting at a 4 cover table, I felt very conscious of other people waiting, and finished my breakfast quickly, to vacate the table for others.

To put this into perspective, I happily stay at Travelodges and Premier Inns so do not have high expectations, but for such a large and 'grand' venue, it did nothing to recommend itself as a future overnight stay.

Room Tip: See if there is anything more upto date than the Priory block.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank SomersetManToday

Travellers are raving about these Hitchin hotels

Hertfordshire, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Like the last reviewer, I am writing this review from a wedding guest perspective. The wedding marquee that is set out is nice, however for what is a period building, I don't feel the most is made of it at all. I was expecting a luxury wedding venue hotel. I was disappointed.

The reception is very untidy, not inviting and looks almost make-shift. Maybe this is under renovation, but it didn't look like it. I have to say though, I have no issue with any member of staff. They were all very friendly.

The accommodation, in my view is very disappointing. It feels like a halls of residence. Very clinical. Decor definitely needs updating. Not a place to stay in if the weather is warm, there is no air conditioning which made our stay incredibly uncomfortable, and it wasn't even a heatwave outside. Bedding was disappointing too. Only wine very thin pillow each and no spare bedding left in the room.

Parts of the hotel also looked unclean, dead flies in the restaurant. Not pleasant. On checking out we did mention to the receptionist that we weren't entirely happy with the stay. She provided us with the managers e-mail address to complain. I haven't bothered, as I don't intend to return.

Ideally placed for a visit to Hitchin but as stated they need to do some serious work if they intend to retain their wedding venue status, absolutely no place for have decent wedding photos taken, outside of building needs some serious TLC - overally pretty disappointing!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple