“Character Hotel with good service”
Review of Hitchin Priory

Hitchin Priory
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Hitchin
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We visited Hitchin Priory for a family wedding. We are so glad that we stayed at Hitchin Priory rather than a chain hotel as it has such character compared to a normal hotel and all the facilities that you would wish for a couple of nights stay. We were placed in the annexe (Priory Court), which was more modern with shower, all toiletries, hair dryer, kettle and complimentary tray for drinks etc. We found that there was only one pillow and I know that we normally need two each, but a call to the very helpful staff on the reception saw extra pillows arrive in no time at all. There was also a Gym and Sauna in the building that we did not use as we were too busy with the wedding. The ONLY thing that we found wrong was that the wooden unit top had ring stains on where thoughtless guests had obviously put hot/wet cups down on the tops, but this made me more annoyed with the guests rather than the hotel as the hotel had provided saucers for people to use ! Would they behave like that at home on their own furniture ! ! The breakfast was plentiful and good with everything that you could possibly want. However, like a previous reviewer, we did not like the sausages, but on the second morning had an extra rasher of really delicious bacon instead. Incidently,just as feedback to the hotel, we were a party of 5 ( 2 Doubles and a single room), and none of us liked the sausages, so maybe it is time to look at the supplier. Again I would emphasize that that was only one minor thing on an otherwise excellent stay. Having breakfast in the lovely character dining room with strawberries, melon, cereals, full english etc etc more than made up for the sausage deficiency. All the Staff were very pleasant and helpful, the wedding was very well organised, the building and grounds were excellent, and the price was very reasonable ( more or less the same as Premier Inn with one of their breakfasts included),but in a real character hotel right in the middle of the picturesque town of Hitchin. We would certainly stay again. I would like to give it 4.5 if I could. Like the previous reviewer, marked down because of the sausages.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cheshirebabyboomers

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Both myself & my husband were in Hitchin for the Sonisphere weekend &stayed from Thursday 3rd until Monday 7th July. There were no B&B's left in Knebworth & any remaining ones in Stevenage were around £900 for the 2 of us (without breakfast) for the same number of nights & I didn't want to pay this much so I looked a little further away & somewhere that had a train station & found this place. I paid about £250 (which included breakfast each day for 2 adults) so I booked it - without looking at any reviews, I just went on price & location.

Once booked I was very worried because I read the reviews on here, I was starting to wonder about what I had just paid for. I prepared my husband with the negative comments and asked him not to expect too much from the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel we were gob-smacked by the beautiful gardens &the building itself, this is not what we were expecting. Yes it is a little dated, there is need for some painting & repair work but the whole place was clean, tidy & presentable. What you have to remember is that this building dates back to the 15th Century so there will be places that need a little TLC, that comes with listed buildings.

The location is superb for all transport links including the A1, the train station (which is a 15min walk/2 min drive with 1/2 hour trains to London until the early hours which only costs £9 each way) & plenty of bus routes. The village has a large variety of shops, pubs, resturants & cafes & is literally opposite the Priory. The hotel is located in a park with acres of land.

One thing that we did not realise was that the hotel has a free gym which can be used by the residents, so remember to take your gym kit!! The gym itself is a small air conditioned room with rowers, bikes, free weights & machines with weights, cross trainers & treadmills. There is also a steam room & sauna next to the gym. We did not get chance to use these as we did not know they were there (Hitchin Priory, you need to advertise this more!!) but we had a nosey round & they seemed in good condition & were clean.

The breakfast was as could be expected, it was a "free for all" which included cereals, tea, coffee, mixed juices, an English breakfast, pastries, fruit & toast. It was "average", I was not keen on the sausages as they were quite cheap but I ate them every morning all the same, so they were not that bad.

The room we stayed in was room 7 in the main building. It was a very clean room with an en suite. It was quite small but had everything we needed & they even gave us a fan for the warm nights. I could not complain at all. It was overall a very pleasant & enjoyable stay, I would definitely stay here again without question.

I only gave it 4 stars & not 5 due to the poorer quality sausages & the fact that they did not advertise the gym/sauna as I would have liked to have had the opportunity to use these.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front of the hotel and this was in the shade during most of the day which kept...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicola L
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed just for one night for a wedding. My room was not available until 3.00pm which is inconvenient for a wedding venue but the checkout of 10.30am was worse when you've over celebrated a little the night before, I think 12.00pm on a Sunday would not be unreasonable. The room was on the face of it nice with a modern bathroom and good powerful shower and comfortable bed. On closer inspection however the walls badly needed painting and there was rubbish under the bed from previous guests. Breakfast was probably sub-par as well, food was nice but you had to fetch your own tea and coffee and toast was a little slow.

On the positive side, the staff were really good going the extra mile to help out my friend with a cot for their baby. The location is also excellent, set in beautiful grounds right in the middle of Hitchin. I enjoyed the food also, breakfast was nice and the wedding food was also good, they catered well for my friend with special dietary requirements. The overall experience was a good one.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for 3 days last week while attending a residential training course.
After reading some of the reviews relating to this hotel, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is very quirky and full of character. Based around an ancient Priory, the hotel is uniquely in the town centre yet enjoys fanatastic parkland surroundings. My first evenings stay included watching the World Cup Final on a large projection screeen - set up in the hotel grounds, with a Marquee alongside, offering drinks for purchase and an open air Barbeque. This was very impressive and well attended by many of the local population.
If you like modern corporate hotels with modern conveniences - this is not for you. Many of the rooms are situated in the main listed building, with authentic wood sash windows with single glazing and crumbling paintwork. The rooms are very roomy with a small wall mounted LCD TV. However, the staff were excellent and very willing and friendly. The hotel certainly suited me and I would consider staying again with my family if I ever fancied visiting Historic Hitchin.

Room Tip: If you are single or a couple, then room 8 may be for you. Nice size although the TV was a strain to...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I have just recently stayed at Hitchin Priory and have to say it was a very pleasant experience. The staff could not be more pleasant and helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them. The hotel is a little tired but for us that was part of its charm. Great value for money.
The hotel is perfectly placed for the town being just three minutes away and what a super town it is, with so many restaurants, cafés and bars you are spoilt for choice.
We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Room nine is a little on the small side.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike C
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Reception pleasant and efficient. Corridors a little confusion. Decor somewhat dated but goes with the building. Comfortable bed. Very quiet. Easy walk into town. Excellent breakfast. Beautiful grounds to walk in

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Eric B
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Well, as far as we're concerned we had a brill time! The chap and younger girl helping serve breakfast were especially accommodating (thanks for the toddler boost, chap) and helpful! Please pass on our compliments..

The only thing I would say is don't be too quick to whisk the empty plates away, I like to look at mine for 20 seconds or so to remind myself how talented I am at eating.

The grounds were lovely but the rooms were a little underwhelming, although we did only pay £60 a night at extremely short notice so hey-ho. The lack of restaurant was a bit peculiar, however due to the abundance of cafés and restaurants in Hitchin I don't really blame them, it'd have to be something pretty flipping special!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank MisterCrumbs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hitchin
2 mi away
The Farmhouse at Redcoats
Firs Hotel
Firs Hotel
#5 of 8 in Hitchin

Been to Hitchin Priory? Share your experiences!