“Sunday Roast Lunch service - Great!”

The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carshalton
London
“Sunday Roast Lunch service - Great!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Had a fantastic meal at the GreyHound Restaurant. Went in for a Sunday Roast and wasn't disappointed.
Superb service.
The pork belly was almost perfect and the side accompaniments were well cooked too.
Enjoyed the ambiance too. Good crowd.
On the whole will recommend it and would visit again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Helmond, The Netherlands
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Our 2nd stay, so we were pleased to stay and this time it did not dissapoint.
Friendky staff, comfortable room, good food and friendly historical pub.
For a visit to London city also perfect a 5 minute walk to the station and a 20 minute trainride takes you straight into Victoria station or Balham where you can take the Northern line tube to the city.
We also were told that this year all the rooms will have a make-over, so it can only get better.
Forgot to mention the large and safe free parking!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Toneij
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My partner and I decided to visit this pub for a pub lunch, we regularly travel to sutton to visit family, and thought we would try the food. Don't think I will come again, the pub seemed walm and cosy but when we entered I felt the staff where rude and not bothered to help us. It is not clear when u walk in whether you find a table yourself or someone takes u to a table. When we asked a member of staff behind the bar they where rude and blunt. Once finally being told we could sit wherever we sat down to read the menu. My partner enjoyed the breakfast but I felt the burger was bland Nd overcooked. My partner is employed by youngs so we used his pay slip for discount. Overall I feel that we where an inconvenience to be their and won't be returning.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I booked a table for my husbands birthday for a group of friends. We waited almost an hour and a half before any food arrived - by which time one of our friends had to leave because her children were falling asleep.
The food which arrived was awful. One of the fish dishes was cold and undercooked, two other fish dishes were overcooked to the point of being so crisped up that it was impossible to eat with a knife and fork.
The beef 'fillet' was chewy and arrived with just a few chips and a mushroom.
The overall bill was almost £200 for 6 people which was just a main course each.
This is our local restaurant but I would never eat here again and will advise friends in the village of the poor quality.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank backchat2
Meirion P, General Manager at The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear valued guest

I would like to apologies for the poor service and quality issues you and your birthday party encountered when you last visited the Greyhound, if at all possible I would be grateful if you could take the time to contact me on 0208 647 1511 so I can discuss the matter in person.

Kind regards

Alicante, Spain
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed at the Greyhound for a few nights whilst on a visit to the UK. The hotel is situated in a very convenient place with excellent rail links to London. Our room was nicely decorated and was always nice and clean, the bed was also very comfortable. There is a busy road outside the Greyhound but this could not be heard in our room. The food we had there was good, especially the cooked English breakfast. As far as the staff were concerned, they were all very helpful and polite. The atmosphere in the bar was good, plenty of chatter and laughter and the bar staff always busy but friendly. There is also plenty of parking at the side of the Greyhound. If I have to come to the UK in the future I would be quite happy to stay at the Greyhound again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Went today with friends (from abroad) who wanted to try a real British pub lunch. Very disappointed by the roast pork and roast beef, Sunday lunch specialties! Soggy Yorkshire puddings with boiled carrots and potatoes (supposed to be roasted), gravy looked like soup, not a great combination I'm afraid! Slices of meat were huge however, so thick (the pork) that it wasn't even appealing! So it's definitely quantity to cover the non existent quality. A real shame the atmosphere was good, the pub is cosy, friendly staff (even so the service is quite slow). Not going back I'm afraid, being local, the Greyhound won't be on my list of places to go for a good meal. :-(

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fran S
Meirion P, General Manager at The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
I must apologise for the issues you experienced last Sunday, the constructive comments you have brought to my attention I am acting on, thank you for taking the time in communicating with me.

I have passed your feedback on to my Head chef who will be looking at the portion sizes v quality and value, I would like to reassure you every effort is being made to deliver the perfect Sunday experience, customer satisfaction is our number one objective.

On behalf of myself and my team we are all truly very sorry.

I note from your comments that you are local to the Greyhound, I would like to, with your permission take this opportunity to invite you and your friend to revisit us compliments of myself on a day and time of your choosing, this will give me and my staff the chance to put things right, please contact me at your convenience on 02086471511 and I will take your booking.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Ate there tonight. Be a while until the next time.
First choice of main course was unavailable at 7:45. Purchased one of the more expensive bottles of wine which was palced on gthe table with the cap loosened but no option to sample/approve. Condfident, complacent or don't care. Seemed to be the last one.

The main courses were not as hot as the side order of mash potato (potato not included with the main) suggesting that the side order had been heated up in a microwave whilst the mains sat on the side.

Cheese & biscuits was served with no butter, seems strange, Creme Brulee was tiny (Think small ramekin) so why did they take so long to be served.

15 minute wait for the bill which only took a press of the button on the cash register and was then just dropped on the table folded in half with no comment.

The bill said service not included. That did not surprise me as the service had been absent all evening.
To rub salt in, two people on the next table had a similar meal but, because they had run out of cabbage, had to be on a bed of mash potato (extra for us remember) but had probably three times the amount of meat (Our Pork tenderloin had been like three small medallions- theres looked like tenderloin).

My best guess is that because the restaurant was not very busy they were getting rid of what was left.

My question is why a restaurant on a Saturday has run out of the highest price main dish at 7:45 and then run out of a main component of one of the other main meals (Creamed cabbage replaced by potato) by 9pm.

Oh. And they were at best one third full all evening but ran out of some of the main courses.

Seems like several people had decided not to go back before I git there.

I live locally and so wanted to find a place to go with a good menu (it looks good on paper) and decent service.
Seems like the search continues.

Room Tip: Cant say as only sampled restaurant. If the hotel is as poor well?
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Meirion P, General Manager at The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
I would like to apologise for the service you encountered when you last dined at my pub, the constructive comments you have brought to my attention, I have addressed and have acted upon. Thank you for bringing these important issues to my knowledge.

It is not acceptable as a guest dining in my pub to experience the level of service that you encountered, I am so sorry this must have been a very frustrating evening for you, I note that you are a local to Carshalton, I would be pleased to meet you on a day and time of your choosing at the Greyhound, I can then express my sincere apologies in person, I look forward to meeting you soon.

Kind Regards

Meirion Perring
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carshalton
Holiday Inn London Sutton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,116 reviews
Hallmark Hotel Croydon Aerodrome
Premier Inn London Croydon (Purley A23) Hotel
Premier Inn Epsom North Hotel

Been to The Greyhound Carshalton Hotel? Share your experiences!