My first time here on Trip Advisor and I probably wouldn't have submitted this review had it not been for the Managers attitude.
I took my partner down to Rye for her birthday and was pleased to find The Lodge had a vacancy for us as our usual stays were fully booked. I can only describe our first impression as cleverly photographed on the busy A259 with a view from one room of an adjacent roof and an old bonfire from another but we thought hey we're only here to sleep and we'll be out all day. We went down for breakfast the next morning to be told that due to a " Technical issue " the Chef hasn't turned up today, something I found to be not unusual from some locals later in the day.
This morning we went down for breakfast and the Chef had turned up so we looked forward to our Full English but only to be served with part Grey part Pink Bacon cleverly disguised Grey side down, when I spoke to the Manager about it he said its caused by the way they have to "layer" the bacon to cook it under their very small grill, odd I said to him as there are only us and another couple staying here this weekend and they had the Continental ! Interesting, he went on to say they have to cook copious amounts of the stuff regularly in case a coach party should turn up unexpectedly and if they don't materialise it all goes in the bin, the place was so dead the only thing it lacked was Tumble Weed !!!! Coach party... Hilarious .
Bottom line you don't serve Meat to people that's been left out and uncovered or just old !!!!
My two stars are 1for the cleanliness of our room and the second for the very adoring staff who deserve a better manager to lead them and one who doesn't lose his cool when being criticised about the quality of the food he allows to be served.
There are better places to stay that offer much better value for money and I now know why this place was empty.
If you stay my advise is to eat out, The Queens Head just up the road in Icklesham serves mouth watering "Fresh" food including an All Day Breakfast that will keep most going for all of the day.
Would I return or recommend The Lodge to others ...er... no
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lodge at Winchelsea offers its guests the perfect base to explore the beautiful 1066 countryside and historic sites. Situated between Rye and Hastings with ample free onsite parking. There are fantastic walks from our doorstep including the ‘1066 country walk’. 28 modern en-suite guest rooms, bar and restaurant, free wi-fi and free parking. Room price includes continental breakfast. The contemporary restaurant is open seven days a week serving a wide range of delicious dishes, including an excellent carvery every Sunday. Our menu changes to reflect the seasons and offers dishes for all tastes and budgets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., LateRooms, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Lodge at Winchelsea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lodge At Winchelsea Hotel Winchelsea
- Winchelsea Hotel East Sussex
- Winchelsea Motel East Sussex
- The Lodge At Winchelsea East Sussex