“Heaven on earth”
Review of Belle Grove

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Halesworth
Belle Grove
Reviewed 25 March 2013

The best place we have stayed in to date. Having stayed in several places over the years we had a 50th wedding anniversary weekend in the Upper Barn and from the moment we arrived to the moment we left the place was fantastic.

Five of us all said that this is the nicest place we had all been to. Home from home comforts and no details is left unturned by the owners.

Trying to go back theremin the summer months but no surprise that is is booked, will be there again is September

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
josamaki, Owner at Belle Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

So glad you found it suitable for such a special & memorable occasion. Sad that we can't accommodate you in July but would most certainly welcome you in September - hopefully the weather will have warmed up by then!

Reviewed 19 March 2013

First things first: this is the best self-catering accommodation we have ever used (and we have stayed in a great deal of properties of all types over the years.) If you look at the website (www.belle-grove.com) and/or read the reviews on TripAdvisor or elsewhere, then the experience of actually staying here will exceed your expectations.

We stayed in the Upper Barn for a long weekend in mid-March 2013. Other reviewers have faithfully detailed and described the quality of the sympathetic conversion, the exquisite furnishings, the beautiful decor and the state-of-the-art fittings; everything they have written is accurate. I cannot imagine anyone not being completely delighted by the quality of what is on offer at Belle Grove Barns. In fact when my wife and I arrived on the Friday afternoon, but before the rest of our family group arrived, I was tingling with the positive anticipation of the others arriving and encountering the property - and their rooms - for the first time. I actually felt proud to be welcoming them to such a tasteful, high quality environment. I don`t recall ever feeling like that in a self-catering unit.

The provision of detailed information about the property itself, the appliances, local services, day trips, eating and dining and so on is exemplary. Additional touches like providing chocolates, flowers, wine and some basic items like milk, tea, coffee, etc, to get you started were really appreciated. Jo, the owner, was on hand to welcome us a littlewhile after our arrival and struck that delicate balance between offering any help or advice required and not being in any way intrusive.

Within the precincts of the Upper Barns, Jo and Nick have also provided an Aladdin`s Cave of a room stuffed with a treasure trove of items ranging from fabrics to prints, jars to jewellery and other assorted exotica.These are available to purchase.

A note re communication with the outside world, assuming, that is, you want to be in communication with the outside world when staying in this rural idyll! As had been noted in the pre-arrival literature, the phone signal is virtually non-existent within the Upper Barn. The simple solution is to make use of the pretty good wireless router signal in the property and use either Skype or Viber to communicate by video, voice, SMS (text) or email. Alternatively, go for a short walk and get a better phone signal!

A note re value for money: although, clearly, it is not cheap to stay here - and no-one would expect it to be so, given the very high level of quality, luxury and comfort on offer, it does represent comparatively god value for money. For example, had I been paying for 3 nights` accommodation for three couples in an `average` grade hotel, it would have cost me more than it did to rent Upper Barn. OK, so I am not exactly comparing like-for-like, but I know which experience I would prefer to have and offer to my family...and it isn`t that average grade hotel!

So, overall, staying at Upper Barn was a fantastic experience and one that represented a really amazing contribution to my wife`s 60th Birthday celebrations. Vive La Belle Grove!

Room Tip: All three rooms in Upper Barn are superb, but for anyone with mobility issues the ground floor walk...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
josamaki, Owner at Belle Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Thanks so much for such comprehensive feedback. It's important to us that we are 'doing it right' - and doing it right means making sure all our guests are comfortable & happy as well as feeling that they are somewhere special.

Reviewed 24 December 2012

This self-catering accommodation hidden in Suffolk is absolutely superb. It feels like home, comfortable, but with gorgeous objet d'Art from across the globe. This is the kind of place I'd like to live. There are options perfect for a romantic getaway, a family reunion, or a friendly escape. I can't say enough about this place. Stunning!

Room Tip: All are gorgeous - it just depends how many people you have.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I guess we all go to a place with high expectations and here you won't be disappointed. It's warm, comfortable and beautifully decorated to a very high standard and the service is immaculate. I strongly recommend this for a get away.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank R0sanda
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I have just been reading through some of the other reviews of this property as a means of finding inspiration for where to start. I can see exactly what himandher22, Mr Fereday and Harvoire 100 are saying, so I would suggest the reader has a glance at those reviews first to get an indication of how Belle Grove "feels" at first sight. To some, Belle Grove may seem a little odd - it is only when you get to stay there for a week or so that you begin to understand what extraordinary influence and thoughtfulness has gone into putting together this range of self-catering barn conversions.

We stayed in the Gate House and did not get to see inside the other properties. The pictures on Belle Grove's website show you exactly what you get. Our first word on entering the property was "wow", and we continued to be wowed as we began to explore the kitchen, the downstairs living space, the bathroom and the bedroom. Throughout there is a great balance between quality and quirk (I use that word in a kind sense) - when Nick and Jo put together their ideas for creating and dressing the place they did not hold back on construction or design. Throughout the week we found new things of interest about the building, it was a continual discovery process.

As our week progressed we found we actually enjoyed being at Belle Grove so much that we did not feel the need to go out every night. The kitchen was so well equipped we could easily cook-in if we wanted to, and we were not short of things to do and read in and around the property. We did though find a lovely foody pub in The Queens Head at Blyford which I am more than happy to recommend.

There is, of course, plenty to do and see around this part of Suffolk. My wife particularly enjoyed Southwold, Walberswick and Snape Maltings, I absolutely loved the golf at Aldeburgh (though play after 3pm, the twilight rate (as of July 2012) is much more reasonable) and I thought Orford well worth the trip. If you like fine dining while on holiday there are highly recommended restaurants hereabouts, though we chose not to do that this time. There is a good sandy beach for young children near Southwold pier, for oldies I would suggest the very pleasant (and largely deserted) sand stretch near Covehithe (accessed by parking in Covehithe and then taking the signposted public footpath) - though you MUST check the tide is going out while you are there!

I hope I have given you a flavour of what to expect here. If you are planning to stay in east Suffolk and Belle Grove has a property available the right size for your party then do not hesitate - book! I would be surprised if you were disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Custardm
Reviewed 13 May 2012

For anyone arriving at Belle Grove without checking it out,must wonder what they have booked.
Steptoes yard, or the Adams family home.Its only when you step out of the car and take a look round that you see the care that has gone into making this a special place.
We stayed in the stable,behind the old gate and tin fence was a gem of a self catering cottage.
Every thing you could need was there waiting (except food of course) it rained for most of the week we stayed but there was still plenty to do.And in the evening good music a glass of wine and a log fire burning what better.
Thank you Nick and Jo for making this place special.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This has to be the best self-catering property we have stayed in. We stayed in the Coach House, which was styled in Indonesian furniture, fixtures and fittings but with all the modern touches you would expect. Immaculate on arrival, although they allow pets the cleaning had been so thorough that I never sensed/felt problems with my allergies.
The welcome pack is EXCEPTIONALLY informative. It includes roughly everything you could need for your stay - can't find any coasters - then check the inventory at the rear of the pack and it tells you where they are stored! Need a taxi - recommendations for three or four are given including phone numbers! I could go on for ever but if you stay here then please go through the pack as it really is a great source of information to aid your vacation.
Location is quite rural, picturesque and relatively peaceful. It is a good base for exploring the immediate area including Southwold, Dunwich and the 'Broads. Our day at Somerleyton Hall is also worthy of a mention.
We would definitely visit again in the future!

Room Tip: We preferred the Coach House, but each property has a unique 'flavour'.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Been to Belle Grove? Share your experiences!