“Excellent service and quality ... the perfect place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El copal

El copal
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Mazunte
Ensenada, Mexico
“Excellent service and quality ... the perfect place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

The Copal is the perfect place to stay in Mazunte: excellent service, the quality of its wonderful food, the finest music and the friendliness of the people (super nice guys) make this my favorite spot in all my journey through Oaxaca. The food was so simple yet delicious and very chic, the freshest tuna I've ever eaten. The kindness of the ladies who work there make me feel at home. I'm very glad I stayed there, and for sure, I'll be back very soon!. Z

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

Reservation details were handled professionally and promptly by Nadia (the owner I think) via email, who was not there during our stay, but that is where our good impressions ended.

After a tortuous 8 hour trip from Oaxaca we were welcomed by a perfunctory grunt from a surly American at reception tapping on his calculator and demanding the balance of payment for our 3 night reservation (probably so we couldn't leave). No assistance was offered with our childrens cases as we climbed steep stairs to our cabana even though a luggage cable trolley was available. Initial impressions were further marred by music boom boom booming from the restaurant below us being played by some non-residents using the wi-fi.

Breakfast was a calamatous affair with the ubiquitous American providing 'service' along with an array of international characters. Wrong dishes were presented, dishes requested not provided and the food was stale and sub-standard.

On the plus side the location is magnificent with a secluded beach and a brilliant seaview.

The final ignominy was an attempt to overcharge us on check out for our one and only meal (the dreadful breakfast) by, yes the American. Our final farewell in Mazunte being 'Have a good trip'....Ahhhhhhh.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank hkxpat1962
Puerto Escondido
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

It was really nice to stay at "El copal" It felt like a natural resort, like a peaceful oasis in paradise. We apreciate very much the ecological context and the care in keeping the natural balance of the place.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ClaudiaHerrmann
Puebla, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

My wife and I stayed at El Copal for four nights in March. Overall, it was a positive experience. The title of this review may seem like an oxymoron, but it sums up the place. It´s rustic; no AC, dry toilets, a short walk away from everything, but it´s also pretty luxurious; gorgeous view, everything is clean and well taken care of, delicious restaurant. If you are interested in this place consider if you are up for the following:
- Having to walk about 15 minutes to get to Mazunte (it is almost literally uphill both ways and not lit at night)
- Using a dry toilet (not an outhouse or pit toilet, but a system that doesn´t use water. Very clean, but maybe a bit of a stretch for some folks)
- An outdoor shower (totally private, but some people feel exposed. My wife and I loved it)
- No AC, just a fan and a mosquito net.
- Close contact with nature ie bugs and bats.
- "Hands-off" staff. Don´t expect bellboys or a concierge. They´re very helpful when you ask for it, but stay out of the way otherwise.

You up for all that? Then El Copal can provide a wonderful, relaxing base from which to enjoy Mazunte and the surrounding areas. The price is really accesible in low season for American wallets, although it´s a little steep when you earn pesos, but you are renting an entire cabin for yourself. I would classify it as a worthwhile splurge. I also appreciate that they maintain an eco-friendly establishment. I figure you´re helping them offset the cost.

The restaurant is fantastic for dinner and very reasonably priced. About 100 pesos for a variety of creative seafood dishes. Breakfast is way too expensive (70 pesos for tea, bread, and eggs). It´s also yummy, but you can find the same thing for half the price in town.

Staff is very friendly, but as I said, they only step in when asked. You can be very much on your own if you wish, which was perfect for us. If you´re up for something different and can afford it, I highly recommend El Copal.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ravi626
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2010

We arrived at Mazunte and had a reservation dropped on us, so we went to search for accommodations. We luckily stumbled upon El Copal and immediately fell in love with the setting. It is very romantic and peaceful - we even got engaged here. I'm not sure how much more we can recommend this spot. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. This was a magical place for us and we know many would agree this is a very unique place.

If you are looking for a 5-star hotel with concierge service, this is not the place. However, if you love a tranquil location with down-to-earth staff and an eco-friendly facility, then this is your place!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

Our experience at El Copal was seriously mixed. To start with the good, the setting could hardly be prettier (beach visible as soon as you look out your door, amazing sunsets, etc.), the accommodations are simple and functional and pleasant, the restaurant is strikingly good and the public spaces are very attractive and tasteful. The beach is pretty, isolated, and too rough for swimming, though a nice place to sit with a book (El Copal has a little roof set up for shade). The hotel is very eco-conscious (100% solar) & minimal -- the individual huts are rustic and simple, with outdoor (non-gross) bathrooms. To get into town you need to walk about 10 minutes on a dark road, which wasn't ideal, but not a crisis either.
Our main complaints had mostly to do with the people who run it. We booked four nights here, and were told, after a very complicated and not very gracious back-and-forth, that they had made a mistake and we would need to move elsewhere two nights earlier than we'd planned. The place they moved us ended up being so gross that we left after one night. This was the most dramatic instance of a more general trend -- the people who run El Copal, while quite nice, don't give the impression that their guests' comfort or enjoyment is much of a priority. The setting's a paradise, but the treatment can be indifferent.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Churros81
carlbardenheuer, Propietario at El copal, responded to this review, 8 November 2010
First I have to say that we made a big mistake when we took the reservation, there is no excuse for what happened, but here is what happened: In the days we took the eservation I was traveling to a few different cities visiting doctors, after a few studies here and there I have to have a surgery the 1st of December, it was during these rough days that I made the mistake and booked the room being booked already. It has never hapend before and hopefully never will.
I sent a few massages apologizing for doing so......
Finally we found a spot for the guests to spend their last two nights, I was not aware that the place would be so bad, it is our neighbor and it looks preaty clean although I have never spend a night there. I will never send a guest there again...

For all this I am terrebly sorry, I wish I could compensate in any way. Even though it is almost imposible to keep 100% of your customers satisfied, we try really hard to acomplish this goal, we do care.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

We tried the house on the beach, that was a little too quiet for me and my partner, but I could see it great for a group of friends or the right couple. We just loved being close to the action - AND THE VIEW - from the kitchen and patio. We became quite sick with some sort of intense stomach bug during our time in Mazunte - hey, it happens - and the crew, Carlos, his lovely and the ladies in service and cleaning took almost family like care of us. I mean, we barely moved for 3 days and I can't imagine being in a more lovely place, and stuck with a better view. Gallons of agua de mango and un poco consume de pollo later, we were feel great, no regrets. A truly wonderful nook, or is it a cranny, in the world.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mazunte
ZOA Hotel
#1 of 6 in Mazunte
Casa Mermejita
Casa Mermejita
#2 of 15 in Mazunte

Been to El copal? Share your experiences!