“Just go camping”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mazunte
Posada del Arquitecto
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We came in the off season and rented the coco cabaña for 250 pesos a night. It was alright - next the busy street, open air, and a floating bed. The open air and floating bed sound nice, but, the mosquito nets have holes in them and floating beds are just a terrible idea, it's like being on the ocean. I was deeply underwhelmed by the posada, I suppose the Beds outside are nice because of the view but it seems rather difficult without an easy way to store your belongings. This is not the only posada in mazunte, I highly suggest going elsewhere to get more bang for your buck!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Muellerm32

Reviewed 9 February 2013

Despite all the positives of the place such as great beach front location, cheapish accommodation compared to other hotels around, staying there left a rather bitter taste in my mouth. I stayed in one of the estrellas, which is like a hanging double bed covered with a mosquito net for 100 pesos. The estrella area is on top of a rock right next to the ocean front, so you fall asleep and wake up with the sound of the waves. There are no lamps or light in the evening, so have your own flash light. You have a locker, as there are no cupboards, you sleep almost under the stars - you have to have your own padlock. Even the shared shower is totally open, well you can call it hippy, you can call it natural or romantic or simply grim, it's up to you however you want to address it. It was the cheapest option at a time, all other hotels were booked up and their dorms looked like concentration camp baraques for 80 pesos, so I decided to stick with the estrellas.

The negatives of the place: the receptionists do not speak a word of English, so be prepared to have a rather rude and unhelpful attitude. Just to give you and example, when I checked in the receptionist lady didn't bother to help me at all, when I asked for a sheet, she said "not included" and rushed off. After spending a night sweating on and sticking to a plastic mattress managed to get a sheet for 10 pesos from another, slightly more helpful receptionist. Yes, the sheet was not included, but hey, anyone would have 10 pesos for it, the receptionist just didn't want to bother to give it to me.

The estrellas are not rooms and you have to sign an agreement that the place is not responsible for any of your valuables unless you leave them at the reception. Therefore when I checked in I left my little bag with all of my valuables, all of my money, cards, passport etc, at the reception. It was simply shoved in a filing cabinet by the super unhelpful, dismissive receptionist. When I checked out a couple of days later I had a rather nasty surprise - huge sum of my money was stolen from my purse. It took me a day to go back to the hotel and just as usual, no one was helpful and no one would even understand that I wanted to talk to a manager. A local Mexican girl kindly helped me to translate and when I told her my problem, she reported exactly the same problem: she had left her towel outside overnight which was stolen by the morning, just like her boyfriend's two swimming togs!

By the afternoon I managed to meet an English speaking manager who wrote down the incident and promised to get back to me. Well, as it never happened I emailed her in a week time. To cut a long story short, after almost a month long back-and-forth emails they refunded the money that was stolen from me. I guess this was the minimum they could do, but I can't really report on a really helpful attitude in relation to the issue either.

I am leaving this review here as it is simply unacceptable that hotel staff steals from you when you leave your valuables with them and to raise awareness. Honestly guys, you are better off using your own lockers with your own padlock, not leaving stuff at the reception and you have to be really aware of not leaving your valuables around (anything!), as it can get stolen. You will probably have great difficulties there if you don't speak Spanish too..

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank avnire
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I've spent 2 nights there on October 2011 with a friend. We were lucky it wasn't high season, but the place was still fully occupied, especially the expensive rooms. We had a "room" in the middle of the complex, that looks like a small village next to the sea. We has to climb a rather straight ladder to access the room that was built in a tree, once there you have everything that you need: plugs, a comfy bed with mosquitos webs, closet, etc. We had no real walls so no intimacy, which would have been bad if I would have been with a girl! Other problem was that restrooms/showers were a bit far from our room.
Now the good part: THE BAR! It is by the beach, with a kind of lounge and music, though it closes very early at night for some reason. The place is well located in the village, next to others places like restaurants and bars and really right on the beach.
If you don't book previously you can expect no vacancy at arrival, but never worry, just walk by the beach and you will find other look-alike places as Mazunte unfortunately is becoming more and more touristic each year.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is high on the hill for the view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I found the Mazunte area not really to my liking - Maybe 5 years ago it was a hippy paradise but I think too many people come through these days and its 'business as usual' rather than a special place. The prices around town reflect this too - with one exception - The Estrellas at Posada del Arquitecto which are really cool and for 80 pesos a night are a real bargain. The beds here are suspended from a frame high up on the cliff above Mazunte beach so the breeze can keep you cool whilst you gaze at the stars.
The night I was there I was eaten alive by Mosquitos and the party down on the beach went on with bongo playing until way after 3am so not a lot of sleep was had but I would put this down to bad luck. Management are pretty unhelpful too but don't let this put you off as you won't find accommodation like this in many other places.

Room Tip: Book ahead. Sleep in the Estrellas on top of the cliff but don't forget your bug spray and to ma...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The place is wonderful, but the guy is totally unhelpful and rude. He never knows anything. I visited mazunte on high season and wouldn't do it again, I'd rather go on low season, suggest you the same.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Ofont2
Reviewed 12 May 2012

first of all: the owner is rude, unhelpful, hates his clients and super cheap.

BUT

The place is just amazing, it is really worh to get a look at it,eecially ate cabanas, they are so well designed. I would suggest you visit it first before booking especially if you are in low season...

Room Tip: Ask to visit the rooms
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lyzette33
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I stayed at Posada del Arquitecto for one night only, and I wish I had been there for longer. A very chilled place, with lovely people running it, in what seems to be a very spiritual part to Mexico. I only wish I'd been there a bit longer.

Room Tip: Take a look around them all.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank J54321
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mazunte
ZOA Hotel
#3 of 6 in Zipolite
Casa Pan de Miel
Casa Pan de Miel
#1 of 6 in Mazunte

Been to Posada del Arquitecto? Share your experiences!